Windscribe are downgrading some large free VPN plans

Posted 3rd Jun 2023
I've been using a 30GB/month free VPN plan from Windscribe for a while now, but I've just had an email from them to say they are downgrading my plan (and some of our old “big gig” free plans) to 10GB/month, which is a shame.

They are trying to soften the blow by offering Windscribe Pro for only $29/year, which to be fair is $10 cheaper than the deal they've been pushing in their weekly emails.

Full email below:

Back to standard free plan

Expanded free bandwidth is a lot like love: it doesn’t always last forever, and it sucks when it is gone. Sadly, the time has come to say goodbye to some of our old “big gig” free plans, so you're back to the standard 10GB/month that we offer to everyone. It’s not you, it’s us. You see, we’ve been on a mission to provide extra bandwidth to citizens in areas of the world that are under harsh censorship, and we want to use as much of our capacity towards that goal. Also, technically speaking, the less data you use, the more private your data is, as there is less of it to protect... or something. But seriously, there is silver lining here, so read on!

We know that you have been a faithful Windscribe user for a while now, and wouldn’t dream of lowering your bandwidth limits without offering you a great deal. So here it is: for all of our big gig users, we are offering you the cheapest deal on Windscribe we can. $29/year for Windscribe Pro. Forever.

That’s right, even though your new free-tier limit is 10GB, you can get Pro access for $29/year. Don’t want to get the deal right now? No problem, the $29 deal will be waiting for you until June 30th, 2023.

1 Year of Windscribe Pro for $29
Want a taste of what life looks like with Windscribe Pro? Well look no further...

ALL ACCESS
Want to pretend you are from Luxembourg so you can feel like a primo money laundering banker? Well now you can!

UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH
Now you don’t have to worry about your bandwidth limit being reached. You probably didn’t have to before either, but now you can pay us for using it! It’s win win! If you thought your gig was big before, now your gig will be even bigger! Talk about a gig extension!

ADVANCED FEATURES
Windscribe doesn't just "change your IP", you can do a whole lot more with it. Like what? Watch our elaborate film below.

Watch Film
Ready to take the leap into the world of opulent privacy software? Of course you are. Click that upgrade button. Remember, this isn't just a VPN subscription - it's a lifestyle based around a VPN subscription!
Community Updates
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Khairul
    50354309-o3fry.jpg
    Got this notif. A bit disingenuous given that I was given the 60GB in 2017.
    Jaffo
    Ditto.

Shame, as it was perfect for my requirements.
    rcom
    At least for the moment, they appear to have reversed the decision to cut back the bandwidth on those accounts.

They are now offering a full pro subscription to 50/60GB user's for $10 a year, so about 65p a month at current rates. As Windscribe stopped the cheap multi year deals some time ago, this may be the best chance for some users to get a decent offer.

If you have a 50/60 account, you should get the email.
    Jim1_Smith
    I had that on both accounts. I'm actually considering it - I've used Nord in the past but had to use my free Windscribe allocation to be a geolocation restrictions when nord wouldn't work.

Stumping up about £7 a year is definitely doable! I'm assuming that would give you the full pro version or is there a pared down offering that they're actually giving us?
    Wongy111
    Seems they did a bit of a uturn on this

"When we said lifetime of free bandwidth, we meant President Putin’s lifetime.We are restoring all of your early 50/60 GB plans to their original sexiness, for fairness. That’s right, you will all be re-upgraded from the downgrade of your previous upgrade.We are still going to downgrade these free 50/60 GB lifetime plans, but only when Vladimir Putin aka Putler aka Senator PalPutin dies.Yes we are serious. When Putin dies, all Big Gig plans will be downgraded. It could be tomorrow, it could be in 20 years. We don’t know and neither do you.Your new conundrum is that if you want your Big Gig plan to last longer, you will have to actively try to keep Putin alive. The sooner he dies, the sooner you lose the plan. That’s what we in the business call a "quandary”.We know this downgrade will still upset you, but at least when it happens you can be happy Putin is dead. At the end of the day we are a self-funded business and we need money to hire more people to make our vision come true. We tried training mice to manage our infrastructure, as they don’t require paychecks or have bank accounts, but the mice ended up demanding more pay than our human employees. In the future, all "lifetime” statements (if there are any) aimed at free users will be pegged to the existential span of specific people or animals."

sorry about the wall of text (edited)
    M4tt31
    Does it say all as you've titled it or some as in the text?

"Sadly, the time has come to say goodbye to some of our old “big gig” free plans"

Not had the email and I've been on the 50 gb plan for 4 years now. Did have premium for a year last time it was $30 though, The last email from them this week was still $39.
    Familyguy1982 Author
    You're right, it says 'some' in the email, I'll amend the title now.

However I would be surprised if they downgraded my 30GB/month plan and didn't downgrade people with larger plans, given their reason for doing it (to provide more bandwidth to areas that have heavy censorship). (edited)
    Daffydills
    personally i use PIA and works out free all but with cashback.
    jameshothothot
    Interesting. Do you recall what offer you signed up with? I'll check my emails later. (edited)
    Familyguy1982 Author
    Unfortunately not, however it is highly likely that it was one of those codes that was meant for people living in certain disaster areas (e.g. Ukraine).
    I do know that I upgraded from a longterm 20GB/month free plan, so maybe I should have just stayed on that!
    bozo007
    I am on their paid lifetime license when it was at a silly price a few years ago. It has more than paid for itself. I am now trying to see if I need their ControlD service which is being offered at a 50% discount to lifetime VPN account owners but without a lifetime license, which means the price will rise. (edited)
    joeydeacon
    Only came across ControlD recently but it has been a lifesaver for getting my Turkish Netflix account working on our Apple TV box. Great service.
    Kyy
    See if they just said I will have 50/6GB Data next 10 years I'd probably just hedge my bets on chancing it, but this is a good ass deal at only $10/£7.82 for the entire year.

I'm still giving myself at least the middle of August to make up my mind as September is the deadline.
's avatar
Top Merchants