Found 9th Nov 2010
Anyone here go to the effort of getting winter tyres fitter to their car?

Been thinking about doing it this year.. I tend to cover alot of miles and I remember how bad the conditions were last year. Its supposed to be just as bad if not worse this year.

Only problem is my tyres are 225/40/18 as it is which are pretty expensive!

Wondering if its worth hunting around for a spare set of standard mk5 Golf wheels I can put some cheaper winter tyres onto...?

1. Misc
  2. Tyres
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Tyres
12 Comments

Fitted them on Sunday.

Ready for the winter up here in GOC

OP --

I run 245/40/18's Runflats summer tyres and have a set of M&S marked Winter's 225/55/16 non run flats, which will be going on at the weekend.

For advice on which set up for your Golf, take a read of this thread :- vwaudiforum.co.uk/for…904

If i was you, I would opt for a set of 16's with 205/55/16's depending on which engine you have in it.

Are you running a MK5 or Mk6 ?

Cheers

Rick

Edited by: "RickT" 9th Nov 2010

If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 because there is almost 3% difference in the rolling circumference - this affects your speedometer and odometer readings.

Switch instead to 205/55/16

If you want to play about with different combinations Look here

Then buy them here

As an alternative if its just as a get me home type solution I have just bought these snow socks as a few people on our estate use them. We live on a new estate and have a nice steep hill to climb to get to our house which meant last winter leaving the car about a mile away and walking up to the house, however with these we were able to get right up to the house.

Original Poster

RickT

OP --I run 245/40/18's Runflats summer tyres and have a set of M&S marked … OP --I run 245/40/18's Runflats summer tyres and have a set of M&S marked Winter's 225/55/16 non run flats, which will be going on at the weekend.For advice on which set up for your Golf, take a read of this thread :- http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=108904If i was you, I would opt for a set of 16's with 205/55/16's depending on which engine you have in it.Are you running a MK5 or Mk6 ?CheersRick

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. Looks like useful information! I have a GT TDI Mk5.

edit: wow! looking at prices for 205/55/16 and they're half of what I would be paying for on my old rims! I need to get a different set of wheels for sure!

cannyscot

If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 … If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 because there is almost 3% difference in the rolling circumference - this affects your speedometer and odometer readings.Switch instead to 205/55/16If you want to play about with different combinations Look hereThen buy them here

Right, I get ya! Thanks!
Edited by: "baconsandwich" 9th Nov 2010

cannyscot

If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 … If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 because there is almost 3% difference in the rolling circumference - this affects your speedometer and odometer readings.Switch instead to 205/55/16If you want to play about with different combinations Look hereThen buy them here

^^ cannyscot -- I guessing that statement was directed towards me as I mentioned my set up with 225/55/16's

Can you explain further please:-
Why should I not go for a 225/55/16 set up ??
Please can you advise how you work out that its almost 3% difference in the rolling circumference??

As I work it out that its the closest rolling circumference possible with the options I have.

Current set up is:-
245/40/18
Rolling Radius :- 205.21 cm
Total Diameter: 65.32 cm
Sidewall Height: 9.80 cm

And the winter tyre set up :- 225/55/16

Rolling Radius :205.43 cm
Total Diameter: 65.39 cm
Sidewall Height: 12.38 cm

With this combination your speed will be 0.01% greater than indicated.
So, when the speedo reads 30.0 mph I will actually be doing 30.0mph.
And when doing 60.0mph I will be doing 60.1 mph.

baconsandwich

[Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. Looks like useful information! I have a … [Hi Rick, thanks for your reply. Looks like useful information! I have a GT TDI Mk5. edit: wow! looking at prices for 205/55/16 and they're half of what I would be paying for on my old rims! I need to get a different set of wheels for sure!

The best option is to get another set of rims, I would opt for a set of GT TDI rims or a set of the MK5 Sport rims, or.. you could run it on a set of steel black rims.

If you need any further advice etc, let us know.

Cheers

Rick

Click on link and put the two sets of data in.

Actual Speed: 60 mph Speedometer shows 58.4 mph
Speedometer Difference: 2.636% too slow
Diameter Difference: 2.57%

cannyscot

If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 … If you are going to switch to winter tyres DONT switch to 225/55/16 because there is almost 3% difference in the rolling circumference

cannyscot

Click on link and put the two sets of data in.Actual Speed: 60 mph … Click on link and put the two sets of data in.Actual Speed: 60 mph Speedometer shows 58.4 mphSpeedometer Difference: 2.636% too slowDiameter Difference: 2.57%

So your point is towards the OP and not me then...

The OP did not mention the size 225/55/16, It was me that said my my winter set up was that size.

I mentioned to the OP that 205/55/16 would be a good choice.

I think you have misread the thread.

im just gonna buy chains on my rolls royce.

I think you have misread the thread.

No Rick, I was responding to your thread before you edited it and added

If i was you, I would opt for a set of 16's with 205/55/16's depending on which engine you have in it.

But I know that you'll agree that winter tyres make a huge difference to the handling on snow and ice and are well worth the cost/effort.

[/quote]

cannyscot

I think you have misread the thread.No Rick, I was responding to your … I think you have misread the thread.No Rick, I was responding to your thread before you edited it and addedIf i was you, I would opt for a set of 16's with 205/55/16's depending on which engine you have in it.But I know that you'll agree that winter tyres make a huge difference to the handling on snow and ice and are well worth the cost/effort.

We wont get into a debate, but the perfect size for my set up is the 225/55/16. (which are the tyres and rims I have in the garage right now)

Rick
Edited by: "RickT" 1st Sep 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet11
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769434
    3. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.46
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226641

See more discussions