Wired Broadband

Posted 5th Nov
Hello, I have just moved into my new house and I am trying to play PS4 but the signal strength is very weak making me lag when online.. I have tired wired connection and it’s perfect! So I don’t have to have a wire going around the whole house does anyone know if phone line to Ethernet works? The router is plugged in downstairs and we have a phone line Box in the bedroom. If I plug a phone line to Ethernet cable in this, or some kind of adapter will it work like a wired connection?
Or can anyone recommend any other work arounds?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Have you considered trying a pair of Homeplugs? I have some scattered around the house and they work fine. They use your existing electrical wiring to deliver data to your computer/console.
Home plugs work well.
Just as an example: amazon.co.uk/Ten…8-1

A pair of these - 1 plugged in downstairs, connected to your modem/router. Another plugged in upstairs, connected to your PS4. Done. Data is then sent around your household electrical wiring from router to console.

Of course, there are many types of homeplug but the one above is the simplest type. You can get 'passthrough' types that still allow you to use the socket they are plugged into. Some can have a wireless element to them too. Just investigate "homeplugs" and you'll get the idea.

Regards, Phsy.
As with previous comments, get yourself a pair of powerline adapters
Ethernet from a genuine telephone socket is a great concept but sadly kinda flawed. So as prev poster suggested, consider a pair of homeplugs.
Or if you have a non-VM service you could consider relocating the router away from the master phone socket to an extension phone socket (not ideal for many dull reasons).
Or if your home is a semi-recent newbuild it may have ethernet wired to each room, where sometimes phone sockets can be casually mistaken for actual ethernet sockets.
Perfect thanks! Which home plugs are the best to buy?
LunnStar05/11/2019 12:06

Devolo Magic 2 are the best, but any rated over 1000 should be adequate
LunnStar05/11/2019 12:06

There are many options. As with everything, it comes down to what you need. You can buy single port or multi port models. The benefit of multi-port are that you can connect other equipment as and when you need. You may have a PS4 now but further down the line, you may find you want to also plug in a NowTV box or something with "smart" features. Of course, you can just unplug the ethernet cable and plug another one in but multi-port homeplugs mean you don't need to do this.

In my lounge, I have a three port plug with an Xbox, NowTV and a Blu-ray player plugged in. No need to keep swapping cables. It's all your choice really.

You may want 'passthrough' plugs if you want to use the socket they are plugged into for something else. You may want ones that use reduced energy whilst 'asleep' and not in use. However, I just switch mine on as-and-when I wish to use them. Mainly because I don't like things just sitting in 'stand-by' but more because I'm tight! Hehe.

Don't get too caught up in the speed capability unless you have a massive data requirement. Most basic homeplugs are quite capable of doing what you need. I think mine are only something like 200/300mbps and they do all I want from gaming to streaming etc. Also, if you use 'wireless' connectivity for things, some homeplugs have a wireless relay or 'booster' built in too.

Sorry if this is information overload but the long and short of it is: There is something to fit whatever you might wish to do. If I were you, I would pick up a really cheap pair of basics to experiment with. Check out Ebay for a pair of used ones, even. It will give you an insight into how they work, what their capabilities are and where your own personal requirements lie.

Regards, Phsy.
Homeplugs can be hit and miss though. I get full speed downstairs to downstairs but up to down and I get 5mbps, less than 1/10th of my Internet speed and way less than the actual network speed.
If you want some suggestions:

Argos:
argos.co.uk/pro…734 (Simple, small, socket in the bottom. Some are on top = annoying!)
argos.co.uk/pro…749 (Quick and capable)
argos.co.uk/pro…467 (Great value & featured on HUKD. Annoying socket in top though)

Amazon:
amazon.co.uk/PH6…-12
(£25.98. Nice little fast, small "passthrough" set with port in the bottom)

If you have a CEX store (or order online): *note* - You would need ethernet cables to go with these
uk.webuy.com/pro…ter
(£4 each. Super cheap - only 200mbps yes but will still work fine.)

uk.webuy.com/pro…-x2
(£15 for a pair of 600mbps.) OR:
uk.webuy.com/pro…ter
(Buy two individual 500mbps for £6 each. £12 a pair!)
Home plugs, but not in extension leads and new aware you can get interruptions from things such as central heating and kettle etc when they switch on. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Get a powerline 1200 or a MESH system - but preferably run an ethernet under your carpets for the most reliable gaming.
It's funny you should mention that @Ringfinger . I see it said a lot, and while it may be true - I actually use mine in a multi-socket extension and it works beautifully! Who'd have guessed eh?
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 5th Nov
Phsycronix05/11/2019 18:48

It's funny you should mention that @Ringfinger . I see it said a lot, and …It's funny you should mention that @Ringfinger . I see it said a lot, and while it may be true - I actually use mine in a multi-socket extension and it works beautifully! Who'd have guessed eh?

Lucky you. Hope that's not the kiss of death.
Ringfinger05/11/2019 19:32

Lucky you. Hope that's not the kiss of death.

Haha. You're right. I usually do talk up my own troubles!
Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants