Wireless access point for Virgin (Super hub 3)

Posted 22nd Mar 2019
Recently had Virgin installed and the WiFi is pretty poor upstairs (hub needs to be downstairs) I have ethernet upstairs and looking for a wireless access point to plug it into.

Looking for something simple and as cheap as possible, something that'll give a good signal for around 10 metres, so doesn't have to be 'fancy' with 8 antennas.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Have you spoken to customer service & informed them on the poor quality you are receiving?

If not keep on pushing & they will send out a engineer who may be able to help. I did manage to obtain 2 virgin wireless boosters for free which has helped...but overall its a service & i'm leaving them ASAP.
I just use an old Netgear WNR2000 That I've flashed with DD-WRT , works a treat. You can flash loads of old routers with DD-WRT to give them a new lease of life, you'll probably have an old one somewhere that can be used , dd-wrt.com/sup…se/
Edited by: "yorkie12" 22nd Mar 2019
VexBajan22/03/2019 14:38

Have you spoken to customer service & informed them on the poor quality …Have you spoken to customer service & informed them on the poor quality you are receiving?If not keep on pushing & they will send out a engineer who may be able to help. I did manage to obtain 2 virgin wireless boosters for free which has helped...but overall its a service & i'm leaving them ASAP.

I told the engineer when he was installing and we tried the wireless boosters, but they are useless in my house, walls/floors are old school thick.
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 22nd Mar 2019
deleted1447778
The TP-Link TL-WA901ND is probably the best low cost option, checking the comments on Amazon if you give it the same SSID and password as your Virgin hub it should work seamlessly.
jaybizzle33 m ago

I told the engineer when he was installing and we tried the wireless …I told the engineer when he was installing and we tried the wireless boosters, but they are useless in my house, walls/floors are old school thick.

Trust me it's go nothing to do with thickness. My virgin gives signal end of my street (how many walls is it passing there 🤪) but not upstairs. It's interference. I've tried bt home, tried gaming router, tried Netgear repeater all of these lose signal on the stairs, so something there which wasn't before. I'm getting tenda Nova delivered if it doesn't bode well my last option is Ubiquiti, so it will be wired upstairs avoiding the stairs so should be okay.
deleted144777822/03/2019 15:28

The TP-Link TL-WA901ND is probably the best low cost option, checking the …The TP-Link TL-WA901ND is probably the best low cost option, checking the comments on Amazon if you give it the same SSID and password as your Virgin hub it should work seamlessly.

Was just looking at that,

I take it I would just enable 'Guest network' on the hub settings

37312523-4TOQ9.jpg
deleted1447778
jaybizzle22/03/2019 15:35

Was just looking at that,I take it I would just enable 'Guest network' on …Was just looking at that,I take it I would just enable 'Guest network' on the hub settings [Image]

You shouldn't have to touch your WiFi settings in your router, just use the TP-Link as a wired access point and give it the same WiFi SSID and password as your Virgin Hub so it creates a seamless WiFi network, instead of a separate WiFi network with a different SSID and password. One network would be better for mobile devices, if the devices are static then it wouldn't matter if they were on different WiFi network

You can check the comments on Amazon, it might be a good idea to download the manual also.

I had to look up Guest network on the Virgin hub, thats an option to give people limited access to your network over WiFi.

You might want to checkout this model on Youtube there's a few videos, THIS pretty much shows you setting up as an AP.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 22nd Mar 2019
deleted144777822/03/2019 15:53

You shouldn't have to touch your WiFi settings in your router, just use …You shouldn't have to touch your WiFi settings in your router, just use the TP-Link as a wired access point and give it the same WiFi SSID and password as your Virgin Hub so it creates a seamless WiFi network, instead of a separate WiFi network with a different SSID and password. One network would be better for mobile devices, if the devices are static then it wouldn't matter if they were on different WiFi networkYou can check the comments on Amazon, it might be a good idea to download the manual also.I had to look up Guest network on the Virgin hub, thats an option to give people limited access to your network over WiFi.You might want to checkout this model on Youtube there's a few videos, THIS pretty much shows you setting up as an AP.

Bought, set up and now getting full speed wifi upstairs
deleted1447778
jaybizzle23/03/2019 12:43

Bought, set up and now getting full speed wifi upstairs

That's cool

Out of curiosity did you give it the same SSID/password as your Virgin Hub
deleted144777823/03/2019 14:23

That's cool Out of curiosity did you give it the same SSID/password as …That's cool Out of curiosity did you give it the same SSID/password as your Virgin Hub

Yup.
deleted1447778
Great, glad it's working for you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants