Wireless adaptor advice/help/suggestions

7 replies
Found 21st Apr 2009
Hey guys,

I've currently got a Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI adaptor, but I get really poor singal and connection (
Thanks

7 Comments

It may not be your card. You may just need a router that gives out a stronger signal.

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;4993425

It may not be your card. You may just need a router that gives out a … It may not be your card. You may just need a router that gives out a stronger signal.

I was thinking that, but having read some reviews talking about poor reception through walls, and with my consoles connecting okay, I assumed it was the card.

i have a Belkin 'N' PCI card (with PCMCIA adapter so you can also put it in a laptop, brand new, boxed. Being that it is a N card, it shold provide a stronger signal/reach.

let me know if you are interested and I can list it cheers, dan

I strongly recommend you take a look at powerline networking - this is sending a network connection over your household mains wiring. You need two powerline adapters to make this work. Connect one to your PC and the other to the router. You won't have any of the SNR issues and connection drop outs will be a thing of the past. You should be able to get about 20-30MBits sustained transfer over one of the new Powerline AV ("200Mbps") adapters. Frankly the cheaper adapters will also do the trick. I have tried both of these and they are grea - especially at replacing flaky wireless connectionst:

200Mbps - 65 Quid for pair:
amazon.co.uk/Max…B4/

85Mbps - 40 Quid for pair:
amazon.co.uk/Max…J4/

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'll have a look into it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions