Groups

Wireless Channel question

What's the best wireless channel to use? I used to have my router set to 11, but it seems loads of people nearby have installed broadband and are set at the same channel. I found it difficult to connect and sometimes the signal would drop out. I have set the channel to 6, but was wondering what others think.

8 Comments

That entirely depends upon the conditions in your signal range. As you say, if you have other access points in range using the same channel, this is likely to reduce your signal quality.

Banned

ISPs will always tell you to change the channel (even though they have no idea of whats being used in the area!

Just change it and see how it goes. Nothing to lose.

Original Poster

Thanks. I think that I might as well keep it at 6. I tried going back to 11, no connection again.

if you have too many people nearby just test it out, poor preformance over wireless can be due to the walls and distance so when you do the test do it next to the router, that way you know its not someone else unless it clashes further away!

its about trial and error im afraid!

the wonders of wireless!

Original Poster

kronas;6330451

if you have too many people nearby just test it out, poor preformance … if you have too many people nearby just test it out, poor preformance over wireless can be due to the walls and distance so when you do the test do it next to the router, that way you know its not someone else unless it clashes further away!its about trial and error im afraid!the wonders of wireless!

It would not let me connect within two feet of the router. Loads of students have moved into street over the last week, so it might be that.

Predikuesi;6330610

It would not let me connect within two feet of the router. Loads of … It would not let me connect within two feet of the router. Loads of students have moved into street over the last week, so it might be that.

just switch channels and try each one!

:thumbsup:

If you know somebody with a Iphone there is a program called WiFiFoFum.
    It scans all the near by Wifi and displays the channel they are using.
    There is probably a program on the pc for the same job but not at home to find it.

]netstumbler will tell you the channels that other networks in your area run on. Run it and move away from the other channels
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866386
      2. word association Game74044549
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047161
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767399

See more discussions