Groups
    EXPIRED

Wireless compatible hardware...

I'm moving in to a shared house where only one room has an internet connection. The landlord/house owner has NTL broadband / TV, and so has an NTL set-top box. From what I can gather, he has an ethernet cable running from his STB, which he plugs in to his PC whenever he likes, to get internet..

Anyway, I'm moving upstairs, and thankfully my PC is wireless enabled. How could I get the internet in my room, for as cheap as poss? Could the ethernet cable running from his NTL STB be used as the input for a wireless router, for me to then connect into the internet from the other room??

I'm a bit confused because of the role the STB has to play.. if the STB could be used for TV and a separate router/modem for internet, I'd know how to continue, but I'm just after the best way of connecting in.

Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated, for the cheapest method as possible given my wireless enabled laptop :-)

Thanks All!

10 Comments

Original Poster

]http//ww…=69

NTL recommend this hardware.. http://www.retailonline.co.uk/shop/images/Starter_Pack_PC_004L.jpg

Surely plugging in the existing ethernet cable to the 'Cable/DSL' port will broadcast that connection wirelessly??

Thanks!

On my old STB, I just plugged the ethernet cable that came from the STB into my wireless router, much as you're suggesting.

You may need to re-enroll, because the STB will only talk to the computer that first enrolled it. (This is because network cards have a unique identifier called the MAC address that NTL uses to decide if you can connect or not).

A lot of routers let you clone the MAC address of the computer you're using, so the connection looks the same to the STB. In this case as far as NTL is concerned nothing has changed so no need to re-enroll.

The one NTL specify would be fine, but there are bound to be better deals elsewhere. Any Cable router would do.

Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply

I was recently given a Orange/Wanadoo Livebox for my connection, but I currently use a wired modem/router.

I specifically want to go wireless (no holes in walls allowed!), so do you think the Livebox would be ok (it is wireless enabled). The reason I ask, is that on ebuyer there are separate "wireless cable/DSL routers" compared to "wireless ADSL/broadband modem/routers".

The livebox is a modem/wireless router, does anyone know if I could just use the wireless router functionality of it, in order to save me having to buy a separate router?

Thanks again for the help, and sorry for all the questions..

i have the same setup mate

i use a Netgear WGT624 v3 for my ntl line (using the stb)

its wireless, and is xbox compatible so playing live on xbox 360 works fine

as for price it was £55.80 at pcworld.co.uk

very easy to set up and has a fireweall aswell.

polak

Hi,Thanks a lot for the reply :)I was recently given a Orange/Wanadoo … Hi,Thanks a lot for the reply :)I was recently given a Orange/Wanadoo Livebox for my connection, but I currently use a wired modem/router.I specifically want to go wireless (no holes in walls allowed!), so do you think the Livebox would be ok (it is wireless enabled). The reason I ask, is that on ebuyer there are separate "wireless cable/DSL routers" compared to "wireless ADSL/broadband modem/routers". The livebox is a modem/wireless router, does anyone know if I could just use the wireless router functionality of it, in order to save me having to buy a separate router?Thanks again for the help, and sorry for all the questions..

Wont work mate. With DSL and ADSL use different type of connections. FOr example your NTL style DSL router will use a network cable to get its internet signal whereas your ADSL on will take its connection from a phone line.

Make sure you get an DSL one and dont go with a suggestion from ntl as you might as well get one with more hard wired network ports on the back for the same price but a different brand.

You could probably expect to pay around £40 for a brand new one. You could always sell your ADSL one on ebay to put towards the DSL thus reducing your outgoings on it.

Gazbert

On my old STB, I just plugged the ethernet cable that came from the STB … On my old STB, I just plugged the ethernet cable that came from the STB into my wireless router, much as you're suggesting. You may need to re-enroll, because the STB will only talk to the computer that first enrolled it. (This is because network cards have a unique identifier called the MAC address that NTL uses to decide if you can connect or not).A lot of routers let you clone the MAC address of the computer you're using, so the connection looks the same to the STB. In this case as far as NTL is concerned nothing has changed so no need to re-enroll.The one NTL specify would be fine, but there are bound to be better deals elsewhere. Any Cable router would do.

[COLOR=navy]I think that should work fine, as Gazbert says and you would only need something like the[/COLOR] ][COLOR=blue]LinkSys WRT54g Wireless Broadband Router £39.99 from Amazon.Co.UK[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]I use one of these for my NTL broadband, so as far as I know it should work with the STB too [unless someone knows otherwise :)].[/COLOR]

Original Poster

Hi again,

Thanks for all your answers. Now I understand the fundamental different between an ADSL modem / router and a DSL / cable router -- they take their 'input' from a) the phone line or b) an ethernet connection respectively.

Since the NTL STB has the ethernet o/p, the router is best -- thanks for clearing this up!!

The LinkSys model looks like the best bet, and hey presto even in the specs it says:

"Note: This router requires an external cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet interface"

... which is exactly what the NTL box is.

Thanks again for all your help guys. Next stage is actually setting the thing up :-)

Good deal here if you Reserve Online and Collect @ Store.

Belkin 54G Wireless DSL/Cable Router
    USB 54G Wireless Adaptor
    Wireless laptop mouse

£34.99 for the lot!

]HERE @ PC World

Original Poster

OK I took the plunge and bought the ][COLOR=blue]LinkSys WRT54g Wireless Broadband Router £39.99 from Amazon.Co.UK[/COLOR]

Anyway, I'm now trying to set this up with my g/f's NTL STB connection, and I'm running into all sorts of difficulties.. Perhaps someone can help/advise!!!

1) She's moved into a shared house, the owner has NTL via a set-top-box. He plugs in an ethernet cable to his laptop to get the internet.
    2) With my g/f's laptop, plugging in the ethernet lead into her network port gives nothing. No internet, just "limited or no connectivity".
    3) I bought the wireless compatible WRT54g from Linksys, all seems to be working fine as my g/f's laptop recognises it. It responds to 169.192.1.1 whether it be from the wired or wireless connection.
    4) Broadcasting the internet does not work however.

I've set the internet connection to be DHCP, with Domain and Host names to be NTLWORLD. For all the other settings, I haven't the foggiest what to input!!

I think it could be something to do with the fact that, even when you take the router out of the equation, plugging the ethernet cable from the STB straight into her PC gives nothing. Just to clarify, plugging this cable into her landlord's PC is great - he gets the internet. Perhaps because he's run the NTL s/w to initialise the connection or something??

If anyone could suggest something, I'd be very grateful!!! This is causing me a lot of trouble as I'm spending hours inputting and changing info just to get the internet working on her machine, all to no avail...

Thanks!!!

First of all, disconnect STB from power (physically, don't just switch it off from remote) and leave it like this for at least 4 hours.
    Then in WRT54G in Basic Setup select Automatic Configuration - DHCP.
    After 4 hours, connect WRT to STB and power on STB. It should pick up new address from STB.
    Leave host and domain entries blank.
    Important thing - all Static DNS entries must be 0.

If that won't work, then do the following:
    1. Leave STB unpowered for 4 hours again.
    2. Connect house owner's laptop to STB and try connection - it should work
    3. Then connect _same_ laptop to WRT (but DO NOT connect WRT to STB!) and go to Setup->MAC address clone.
    4. Click Clone Your PC's MAC
    5. Save settings and reboot WRT.
    6. Power off STB.
    7. Connect WRT to it
    8. Power STB on and it should give to WRT same address as to owner's laptop. You should be able to connect now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1315
      2. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?33
      3. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      4. Biscuit addiction1231

See more discussions