Wireless Internet Help

6 replies
Found 12th Dec 2008
I have wireless router but my computer plugged into it through a wire, but the laptop is connected through wireless, i have the ssid off so its invisible but i have to go on the computer everytime we turn the laptop on to connect to the internet by turning ssid on, soon as i turn it to broadcast ssid the laptop connects, then i hide it again and it will stay on till u shut down the laptop, i need to know is there a way of making the laptop auto connect even though its hidden, cos its saved to the laptop but will only connect when its visible, i hope this makes sense, thanx in advance

6 Comments

just leave the ssid on all the time and just put a password on... ?

or you could just manualy setup the wireless connection in the wireless connect settings.
you can tell it to connect to your router (ssid) by entering in the name of your router and the routers IP address.

It should conenct automaticly each time you start the laptop up.

are you using windows wireless connectivity tool

in the properties of the connection, it should say "connect when not broadcasting"

click that, then apply

in vista i know how to do it as below

open network sharing tool, (when connected to router)
on left side is a list of options, click "manage wireless networks"
opens new window
double click your connection
opens new window about connection,
click the 3rd box down, should say "connect even if the networks not broadcasting"

Banned

You know people can still find your network if it is hidden right? hell I can find hidden wireless connections on my phone :-D

My SSID are also invisable and my sytems all find it ok.

With the ssid invisable use the setup a new wireless connection wizard and manualy enter the ssid into wizard.

What OS are you using

Original Poster

faevilangel;3742308

are you using windows wireless connectivity toolin the properties of the … are you using windows wireless connectivity toolin the properties of the connection, it should say "connect when not broadcasting"click that, then applyin vista i know how to do it as belowopen network sharing tool, (when connected to router)on left side is a list of options, click "manage wireless networks"opens new windowdouble click your connectionopens new window about connection, click the 3rd box down, should say "connect even if the networks not broadcasting"

that worked on vista, thanx alot, and thanx to every1 else who replied :thumbsup:

lumoruk;3742318

You know people can still find your network if it is hidden right? hell I … You know people can still find your network if it is hidden right? hell I can find hidden wireless connections on my phone :-D

Yeah, hidding the SSID makes it harder for yourself imho.
If some1 wants to find a wireless connection, no doubt they will have a bit of software that forces the router to display its SSID.

Just plonk a password on your router and you should be fine.
(make it with capitals, numbers and other symbols to make it harder to crack)

tbh you can check to see if anyone has access to your router just by checking out the DHCP Client List.

If you see any forign IP's you can easly block them. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.22
    2. Add one, leave one game54415436
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604809
    4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941398

See more discussions