Groups
    EXPIRED

Wireless Internet Thing Needed - Please Help

Hi,

I've recently bought a laptop that has WiFi capability. I'm now looking for a wireless thingy that will let me surf wireless.

I currently have cable broadband with Ntl/Virgin and I have a cable modem that came with that. As you can tell I know nothing about this so I'm looking for advice as to where I can buy the cheapest wifi thing that is SECURE and will work with Virgin broadband.

Thank you very much for your help in advance. Without it would be lost

20 Comments

I bought this wireless router a year ago and have used it on Virgin with my cable modem with no problems at all with lots of wireless devices including various people's laptops, my own Philips one, my Nokia 700 and my Wii. It's cheap and reliable and Ebuyer comments have lots of useful comments in setting it up, although to be honest I just followed the instructions that came with it and it worked first time!

ebuyer.com/pro…601

PS Just to clarify, the connections you will make are from your PC to the wireless router, then from your wireless router to your cable modem and use your existing connection from the modem to your cable-point in the wall. With the router from Ebuyer you can set up all sorts of security like WEP, WPA or WPA2 depending on what your devices can handle, note that WPA2 is the most secure of the three. Like I said the instructions are very easy and as long as you follow them to the letter, especially the process of switching each device on in the correct sequence then it will work straight away! If not then there are lots of helpful tips on the user comments for the router.

With supersaver delivery it comes to £25.96 if you're interested, sadly no Quidco or anything from Ebuyer.

Good luck!

Original Poster

Thanks very much for the info. Excuse my ignorance but this will work with my virgin/ntl modem and it will give me a SECURE wireless connection (can you set a log on password or something?).
    Will I need to order any additional cables or anything?

Original Poster

Embarassing but how do I check what type of connection I have e.g. DSL, etc?

have a wireless router Netgear WGT624 (connected to my Telewest/VirginMedia cable model, which is connected to the desktop computer). Was a breeze to set up, no problem accessing from kitchen in next room.

Specs here:
    netgear.com/Pro…spx

foolsgold99;1458038

Embarassing but how do I check what type of connection I have e.g. DSL, … Embarassing but how do I check what type of connection I have e.g. DSL, etc?

it's not ADSL coz i bought another model ASDL Netgear 834GN and it didnt work at all with the Virginmedia cable modem. Spent ages wondering why this didnt work til it was pointed out that it was the ADSL factor. Hope that helps.

forgot to add that if you're still not sure, best is to purchase from a place where you can return it within 30 days etc.

Original Poster

Thanks for you help. Rep added for you.
    I'm just looking for something that will be easy to work with ntl/virgin, good price and secure.
    So far the ebuyer one looks good

Kippy's right, ADSL is for those who get broadband down a telephone line, you get yours through Virgin cable line so you need a DSL/cable router.

As I said in my first post I also have Virgin cable broadband and the Ebuyer router (Dynamode) has worked a treat for me, it will work on yours too! I've not had a single problem with the security of this router at all, there are plenty of optional things you can do like limiting the MAC addresses that can access the router, stop SSID broadcast and setting up the firewall and WPA2 security protocol. All of this can be done very easily as it was my first ever wireless router and I found it fairly simple to do.

PS Happy to help out, cheers for the Rep too!

Original Poster

That's brilliant. Eveyday is a learning day eh?

Thanks very much

One thing about the firewall on the Dynamode router is you have to start it in the set-up page for the router, it's not set to 'on' automatically, but it's just a couple of clicks to do it so no worries there. If you do buy it and have any set-up problems then PM me and I'll try to help!

Original Poster

bjmcghee;1458261

One thing about the firewall on the Dynamode router is you have to start … One thing about the firewall on the Dynamode router is you have to start it in the set-up page for the router, it's not set to 'on' automatically, but it's just a couple of clicks to do it so no worries there. If you do buy it and have any set-up problems then PM me and I'll try to help!

Much obilged :thumbsup:

Original Poster

What about this one ebuyer.com/pro…221

How does that compare to the dynamode one?

foolsgold99;1458912

What about this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97221How does that … What about this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97221How does that compare to the dynamode one?

Buffalo is a respected make, but I don't have any experience of that router so I can't really say how it compares. It is a DSL router so it would certainly work on your cable line, the only difference I can see is that it doesn't seem to have WPA2 as it only goes up to WPA, but it does have other security features too. Best thing is to read up on both a wee bit and see which one you think is best for you and your situation.

the bufallo you choosed in ebuyer works with any broadband (cable or ADSL) so it will fit your bill. It certainly has WPA2. But the point is not which WPA, you should hide your SSID plus the WPA or WEP (128 Bits mode, which mean a 16 cahracters or 64 bits 10 characters). anyway the chance of someone can crack your password is very remote, but you certainly can stop others using your wireless internet.
    Hidding the SSID (station name) is more fiddling, so at first try it with the name unhide (can be view from wireless scan). On the Pc end best to use the microsoft zero configuration if you are not very good with PC setup.

As I said the important exercise here is to stop other uses your internet rather worry too much about strong security to stop hacker.

Original Poster

Thanks. rep added

I'd go with this one with free delivery, better than ebuyer model and that will be same when delivery added

amazon.co.uk/Buf…8-2

alternatively if ya want one now and have a pc world nearby get this but reserve and collect for best price around (check ebuyer for example price and reviews )

pcworld.co.uk/mar…id=

£31.30 reserve and collect which is better than ebuyer or anywhere else :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks col. Rep added.

I've used a Netgear WGR614 in the past, and I don't have a bad word to say about it. Never had any problems with it, and it had a fairly decent signal strength throughout our (quite large) house. I've since given it to my friend, and it's still going strong after 3-4 years use.

Original Poster

Thanks Rep added.

Original Poster

I'm still waiting for my laptop to be delivered so I've not bought a routre yet. I want one that will be secure but I don't know anything about the security features of wireless routers. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2492
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424514493
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1624
      4. Asda having major issues with deliveries today33

See more discussions