Wireless Intruder Alarm

Posted 8th Oct
Hi

Any good offers on wireless intruder alarms please? I’ve looked into Yale in the past but can’t see any offers atm.

I need 1 that alerts me via an App in case of it going off...
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Don't bother with Yale, poor quality and Yale support is non existent. If you must go wireless look for a grade 2 and a 2 way wireless system.
paulj4808/10/2019 12:43

Don't bother with Yale, poor quality and Yale support is non existent. If …Don't bother with Yale, poor quality and Yale support is non existent. If you must go wireless look for a grade 2 and a 2 way wireless system.

It’s got pretty good reviews everywhere that’s selling it...
the Smart Home Alarm Kit SR-320 seems decent at £190 with a CCTV indoor camera...?
ruheluddin8608/10/2019 18:51

It’s got pretty good reviews everywhere that’s selling it... the Smart Hom …It’s got pretty good reviews everywhere that’s selling it... the Smart Home Alarm Kit SR-320 seems decent at £190 with a CCTV indoor camera...?

Have a read of some opinions on the DIYNOT forums and you may change your mind.

Like I said unless it's a 2 way system then I wouldn't bother
I have a Yale system, have had it for 5 years. It’s good.
cmdr_elito08/10/2019 19:23

I have a Yale system, have had it for 5 years. It’s good.

Which 1 have you got cmdr_elito?
ruheluddin8608/10/2019 21:45

Which 1 have you got cmdr_elito?

I have older version of the home smart alarm system that doesn’t have an app but instead has a SIM card in it which enables me to control by text message and get alerts too.
cmdr_elito09/10/2019 05:05

I have older version of the home smart alarm system that doesn’t have an a …I have older version of the home smart alarm system that doesn’t have an app but instead has a SIM card in it which enables me to control by text message and get alerts too.

Ah ok thanks. I was looking into that last year.
Yale have an offer on for the SR-320 n a free cctv camera for £190. Worth it?
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 20:03

Ah ok thanks. I was looking into that last year. Yale have an offer on for …Ah ok thanks. I was looking into that last year. Yale have an offer on for the SR-320 n a free cctv camera for £190. Worth it?

Thing that worries me about the apps is that burgler alarms tend to last a long time and apps tend to only be supported for 5 years or so.
paulj4808/10/2019 19:06

Have a read of some opinions on the DIYNOT forums and you may change your …Have a read of some opinions on the DIYNOT forums and you may change your mind. Like I said unless it's a 2 way system then I wouldn't bother

What IS a 2 way system?
cmdr_elito09/10/2019 20:06

Thing that worries me about the apps is that burgler alarms tend to last a …Thing that worries me about the apps is that burgler alarms tend to last a long time and apps tend to only be supported for 5 years or so.

Hmmm, interesting point.
So you’re saying in 5 years the app might no longer support the alarm system? Hmmm
What model do you have btw?
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 20:10

Hmmm, interesting point. So you’re saying in 5 years the app might no l …Hmmm, interesting point. So you’re saying in 5 years the app might no longer support the alarm system? Hmmm What model do you have btw?

It’s possible with any alarm system that uses an app. App developers are always off onto the next thing. I’ve lived in houses with 10-15 year old alarm systems, 15 years ago apps were different to what they are now (virtually non existent) and in 15 years it’ll be different again so can’t see them worrying about supporting old apps.

Mine is on page 11, I bought the GSM module which works with a pay and go sim.

map-security.com/e-b…pdf
ruheluddin8609/10/2019 20:08

What IS a 2 way system?

Copied and pasted but here you are:

One-way devices have some limitations that make two-way devices the superior option. For example, in a one-way system, each sensor must always behave as though the system is armed, because the control panel cannot send out status information. This means one-way systems must balance battery life with responsiveness and in some cases compromise on frequency and speed of status updates in order to preserve battery life.

With two-way systems, the sensors and control panel each have a receiver and a transmitter. This allows for two-way communication between the main alarm control panel and the devices, much like a telephone conversation. Without this bi-directional communication path the connection status or health of the device is unknown until the panel send out another test signal to the device. In some systems this delay is too long and becomes a security risk.

Another advantage of two-way systems is that jamming detection is more effective, because the ability of system components to have back-and-forth conversations allows for rapid detection.
cmdr_elito09/10/2019 20:18

It’s possible with any alarm system that uses an app. App developers are a …It’s possible with any alarm system that uses an app. App developers are always off onto the next thing. I’ve lived in houses with 10-15 year old alarm systems, 15 years ago apps were different to what they are now (virtually non existent) and in 15 years it’ll be different again so can’t see them worrying about supporting old apps.Mine is on page 11, I bought the GSM module which works with a pay and go sim. https://map-security.com/e-brochure.pdf

Usually the apps will support older alarms. So long as you up date your phone n meet the min app requirement the alarms should be supported.
Just confirmed this with them now...
paulj4809/10/2019 20:31

Copied and pasted but here you are:One-way devices have some limitations …Copied and pasted but here you are:One-way devices have some limitations that make two-way devices the superior option. For example, in a one-way system, each sensor must always behave as though the system is armed, because the control panel cannot send out status information. This means one-way systems must balance battery life with responsiveness and in some cases compromise on frequency and speed of status updates in order to preserve battery life.With two-way systems, the sensors and control panel each have a receiver and a transmitter. This allows for two-way communication between the main alarm control panel and the devices, much like a telephone conversation. Without this bi-directional communication path the connection status or health of the device is unknown until the panel send out another test signal to the device. In some systems this delay is too long and becomes a security risk.Another advantage of two-way systems is that jamming detection is more effective, because the ability of system components to have back-and-forth conversations allows for rapid detection.

I’m sure the devices are fine to send signals back n fourth to the control panel without major delay. I’m going to ignore this point as no one states whether the alarm is 1 way or 2 way!
ruheluddin8610/10/2019 13:34

I’m sure the devices are fine to send signals back n fourth to the control …I’m sure the devices are fine to send signals back n fourth to the control panel without major delay. I’m going to ignore this point as no one states whether the alarm is 1 way or 2 way!

Texecom and Pyronix certainly do. They also grade their alarms at Grade 2 (grade 3 capable if wired) Yale is only Grade 1.

At the end of the day it's your decision, just giving people the facts to make their own mind up.
Edited by: "paulj48" 10th Oct
paulj4810/10/2019 14:49

Texecom and Pyronix certainly do. They also grade their alarms at Grade 2 …Texecom and Pyronix certainly do. They also grade their alarms at Grade 2 (grade 3 capable if wired) Yale is only Grade 1.At the end of the day it's your decision, just giving people the facts to make their own mind up.

Appreciated
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants