Wireless problems - robgoldt any advice on this one?

Hello mate,

I have hard wired the router/modem but can't seem to get it to access the internet, my PC is seeing the router side of it but not the ADSL side.

I have manually assigned my IP and DNS but still not joy, I have also set it to auto but nope, it says connected (but I know this is just to the router and not the modem).

It is definitely me who is doing something wrong, only my second attempt at a network install and not doing great am I!!! :?

Oh and I can't comfigure it from the CD as I think I have done something to it, my main PC has major issues with the drives and never seem to work, I put the CD in on the off chance as a last resort but it never even tried to read it. I then decided to bring my other PC down and give that a go, but for some reason it will not read the CD either, it looks like my first PC may have damaged it, although the CD is perfect to look at.

So I am connected again via my old USB Speedtouch modem.

The IP's that I have tried are 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, *******2,1, *******1, 2. I have also had the DNS as 192.168.1.1, any ideas why my PC is not reading the modem? Or why it will not do it automatically.

13 Comments

set router to 192.168.5.1
set all other pcs to 192.168.5.x

set all pc's to use gateway 192.168.5.1

reset router (power on/off)
restart pc to be sure

on pc start - run - ipconfig
check IP and gateway are correct

dns is not a local 192....... address you can just use auto that'll be fine

IF you can ping [url]www.google.com[/url]
from a dos prompt

but u cant go on internet
then dns is wrong

hope that help?
ps you DID set up adsl username/pass on router? and is it showing as connected on the status screen????

at work the now, will give proper help when i get home. you can google for dns servers to use by the way also they will be on your isp's website

any joy with that lot mate?

Original Poster

Sorry mate just got back on, the usual Thursday tea time chaos in our house amongst other things, then our lass hogging the net as soon as she got in from work.

Oh and not to mention the few beers down my local.

I will try what you said tomorrow mate, not messing tonight after me beers, just wanna chill. http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8399/thumbsup4kk.gif

Original Poster

robgoldt

hope that help?ps you DID set up adsl username/pass on router? and is it … hope that help?ps you DID set up adsl username/pass on router? and is it showing as connected on the status screen????

Hi again,

This could be where I am going wrong. I can't really get into the router settings. I can connect to the router but not the ADSL, so how can I access the settings and password etc without the CD rom if I do not have direct access to the router through the internet.

It does show connected in the status screen, but I know this is just to the router, it has not really accessed the ADSL part of the router. If you know what I mean, so how can I configure it without any access to the software?

I can access the D-Link website via my USB modem but it does not show me access for my own router which is the 624, it has the 604 and the 664 but not the 624. But I don't think it would make any difference if I could access the settings through this cheap modem, or would it? If I managed to get into the admin screen via this modem could I alter the router settings or not? COnsidering the router can connect to my PC but not the internet.

Sorry if this is getting complicated, but as much as I know about general PC's I have never really had much to do with networking.

to get into router settings:

type in the router ip address in internet explorer
a login prompt will appear, its username= admin and password = admin i think but its in the instructions, the router settings are all web based.

router ip will be 192.168.1.1 still unless you have changed it (not by sounds of it) so you will need to ensure your pc is on the same ip range e.g. 192.168.1.2 before you attempt to use the above to login to the router

the third number in each ip address shows the range, and without a router, the different ranges can't "see" each other! confused?lol

once you get onto router settings it should all fall into place

Original Poster

But I can't get the router to access the internet, so how am I supposed to get into it using I.e.?

beerman1

But I can't get the router to access the internet, so how am I supposed … But I can't get the router to access the internet, so how am I supposed to get into it using I.e.?

That is a network IP, not the internet IP, so you should be able to connect to the router with it.

That is a network IP, not the internet IP, so you should be able to … That is a network IP, not the internet IP, so you should be able to connect to the router with it.

Exactly. 192.168.1.1 is your routers IP address so it will take you to some HTML pages located on your router with all your settings on.

You don't even need your ADSL line plugged into to access that IP address.

Original Poster

Ah, ok mate, I tried it in firefox but it kept saying server not found, even though my router was showing as connected.

Once again I have just got in from a few beers so will not bother tonight. Was a little busy today also so did not really have time. I will give it a try over the weekend.

Thanks for all your help guys, if you just bare with me I am sure we will get there.

Cheers.

beerman1

Hello mate,So I am connected again via my old USB Speedtouch modem. .

I am pretty sure that this is your problem.

My mate could connect to his new linksys wireless router but could not access the internet. I deleted the drivers and all the software installed for the speedtouch usb modem he had and then he could access the net.

As others have said, once plugged into the router you should be able to access it by typing 192.168.1.1 and using 'admin' twice as log on and password.

Check that your network lead is ok, try a different one that might be faulty or the wrong type (twisted pair for a pc to pc connection)

If you are using adsl then you'll need to get on to your router to enter your log on details, until you do that you'll never get on the net.

I hope some of that helps.

Original Poster

Cheers guys, had another day out and jut got in (recently started playing pool again for my local CIU so need to get some table time in). http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8399/thumbsup4kk.gif

I have managed to connect to my router, I have altered the settings and changed the password to my own. But just connected using my old USB to make sure the settings are correct. Gonna reboot now to see if it takes a hold.

Original Poster

[QUOTE=robgoldt]
set all pc's to use gateway 192.168.5.1

[/url]

What is a gateway and how do I alter it? Still can't connect via the router, oh and I can't disable the USB modem drivers as I do not have any optical drives to re-install them if it all goes wrong. I would be stuck in limbo.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763979
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087
    4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941301

See more discussions