Groups

Wireless Router advice please???

My current Dynamode router has just packed up so want to get a new one. I'm not on cable (i'm told that makes a difference) and need some advice about a good one to get. Can I get an 'n' or do I have to get 'g'?
    I'm so bad at all this that I thought i'd ask you lovely people to recommend an all rounder for general web browsing, wireless printer and the wii.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you xxxx

19 Comments

The n router supports all. That b, g and n. so i would go for a n one as it supports upto 300mbs. The one i got which i found really good is the Linksys WRT160n

pcworld.co.uk/mar…ALE

although the 'n' wont work unless you have a supported pc/laptop.....

Original Poster

om4r;5124521

The n router supports all. That b, g and n. so i would go for a n one as … The n router supports all. That b, g and n. so i would go for a n one as it supports upto 300mbs. The one i got which i found really good is the Linksys WRT160n http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?SEO=yes&page=ProductList&category_oid=-28361&show_all=true&source_id=aw&camp_id=everyday%20SALE

Thanks for your help but isn't this for cable users? I didn't realise this was going to be so hard to buy a new one lol:?

Unless your pc/laptop is draft n enabled there is not really much point getting a "n" router as you wont notice a difference, so if only have an b/g enabled pc/laptop go for one of those, waste of money if your hardware isnt up to it, always found netgear to be good,reasonably cheap routers, who is your ISP?

thomasc123;5124634

Just beat me to it:)

Original Poster

thomasc123;5124634

erm, how will I know that? It's a compaq presario v6000 that's about a year old. Does that help anyone??
    I'm with talk talk/aol by the way.. Thanks

unseenangelwings;5124666

erm, how will I know that? It's a compaq presario v6000 that's about a … erm, how will I know that? It's a compaq presario v6000 that's about a year old. Does that help anyone?? I'm with talk talk/aol by the way.. Thanks

my dad has that and no it doesnt support 'n'

we have a new home hub (bt) and i have a new netbook but cant use 'n' because he cant get on it....

you see.... i have had to disable 'n' as he cant use the internet with it enabled....

One thing though...if you decide to update your pc/laptop in the near future you may aswell get a 'n' enabled router.... i think id get one anyway

If you're just sharing the internet (and have a normal

clondikemike;5124664

Just beat me to it:)

sorry

thomasc123;5124701

sorry

lol:thumbsup:,

Also i would give talk talk a call and see if they offer a free wireless router for existing customers, Virgin do and i called them a few months ago and they sent me one for free:) well worth a try

Original Poster

My house isn't huge so range isn't really an issue. Can you turn the n off of some of them? I've just looked at pc world for adsl ones and there's only 1 or 2 that aren't n.

unseenangelwings;5124795

My house isn't huge so range isn't really an issue. Can you turn the n … My house isn't huge so range isn't really an issue. Can you turn the n off of some of them? I've just looked at pc world for adsl ones and there's only 1 or 2 that aren't n.

go for 'n' - you can turn it off and it will be of use one day in the near future.....

i personally wouldnt buy a router without it

Original Poster

and just to clarify one more thing... do I have to buy a wireless pc card? haven't a clue what one is but I didn't have to buy one for the dynamode I was using previously.

unseenangelwings;5124913

and just to clarify one more thing... do I have to buy a wireless pc … and just to clarify one more thing... do I have to buy a wireless pc card? haven't a clue what one is but I didn't have to buy one for the dynamode I was using previously.

well you shouldnt...have you used it wireless before ?

thomasc123;5124961

well you shouldnt...have you used it wireless before ?

:?:?, this may take a while:-D

Original Poster

clondikemike;5125084

:?:?, this may take a while:-D

I'm not that bad! lol. Yes, I have used wireless before it's just when I was looking on amazon for a router it was recommending the card and I didn't have to buy one before.

unseenangelwings;5126178

I'm not that bad! lol. Yes, I have used wireless before it's just when I … I'm not that bad! lol. Yes, I have used wireless before it's just when I was looking on amazon for a router it was recommending the card and I didn't have to buy one before.

ok you dont need one then as it has a wireless card built in.....

and yes you are that bad ! lol

just get a wireless router with draft 'n' and you shall be fine.... maybe google around for good reviews before buying...

Original Poster

Thank you soooo much for your time and advice (and putting up with me). Rep added for your kindness xx

unseenangelwings;5126302

Thank you soooo much for your time and advice (and putting up with me). … Thank you soooo much for your time and advice (and putting up with me). Rep added for your kindness xx

no problem

good luck !!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876397
      2. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251373
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2543
      4. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?69

See more discussions