Wireless Router Help - Virgin Media

I am currently with Virgin Media and have just upgraded and received a wireless router on their 10mg BB.

The router only has an Ethernet connection as an input in the back yet my BB is from a coax cable into the current NTL modem that I have.

Is there a wireless router that accepts coax input or do i need some sort of connector?

Prob just gonna end up contacting Virgin but thought somebody might know here.

6 Comments

Dunno about yours but my NTL modem has an ethernet connector. Just connect that to the WAN port on your router using a standard ethernet cable and you're sorted.

You plug the existing modem into the router via Ethernet. The router won't have an in-built modem, NTL/Virgin don't tend to give out all in one solutions.

Slight hijack, does anyone know what power supply a Linksys WRT54G has.

I have Virgin broadband, and was given one by a friend, but without a power supply. There is no indication on the casing what voltage/Ampage it uses.

As has been said, Cable routers DO NOT include the modem, so you leave the modem in the connection, and it goes

CABLE INTO HOUSE -> MODEM - > ROUTER -> PC

ADSL routers on the other hand do include the modem and are combined modem/routers.

Original Poster

thanks for all your help. will try tonight.

Is this not going to dilute the connection speed?

Nope, I'm assuming the router includes at least a 10/100MB switch "the bit you connect to other computers) which means it's at least 5 times faster than Virgins fastest package. It might even be gigabit, which is even faster. Even the wireless connection is faster than Virgins max speed.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846094
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??77
    3. Xbox One X - (News, updates, etc)3381
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213601

See more discussions