Wireless router is there such a thing??

Posted 16th Sep 2020
Hi my master socket where I plug my WiFi into is in my main room, now we have decided we don’t want it there for couple of reasons we don’t have any other sockets around the house am wondering if there is such a thing as a wireless router than I can connect a small thing in the socket and I can put the router an a different room, something like a wireless mouse
Any idea or links of such a thing would be really appreciated
Thank you!!
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I am making the assumption that your broadband uses a phone line and you are saying thats the only entry point?

I understand you want to move the router, it would be good to understand what you need to move it for, the master socket of the phone line is best used so ideally you need to keep your modem plugged into this.

What is it you are looking to move do you need wifi elsewhere or to have use of the ethernet ports?

You can get extenders but the modem itself still needs the phone line. Either way if you need to use an extender you will still have the modem in this room. So i wonder if a bit more info on what you need to achieve would help.
Edited by: "reececasey" 16th Sep
The original WAP

41933452-tPaax.jpg
No, you would need to run a phone cable from the master socket to wherever you want the router to be and install a slave phone socket to connect to.

Fundamentally the router needs to have a cable connected to either a master or slave phone socket.

Alternatively, Virgin Broadband can be had that doesn’t use BT phone sockets.
reececasey16/09/2020 21:31

I am making the assumption that your broadband uses a phone line and you …I am making the assumption that your broadband uses a phone line and you are saying thats the only entry point?I understand you want to move the router, it would be good to understand what you need to move it for, the master socket of the phone line is best used so ideally you need to keep your modem plugged into this. What is it you are looking to move do you need wifi elsewhere or to have use of the ethernet ports? You can get extenders but the modem itself still needs the phone line. Either way if you need to use an extender you will still have the modem in this room. So i wonder if a bit more info on what you need to achieve would help.

Correct my broadband goes into this socket

Which is in the main room and I only have 1 in the house now I don’t want my big router plugged in there ????
41933773-ngdBL.jpg
J_s3116/09/2020 22:01

[Image]

Get a RJ11 telephone extension cable and you can put it wherever you like.
You can take the advice from people here to extend the RJ11 cable but I would personally advise against it, you can end up with some real loss in speeds. The rule is the closer and earlier you can have the modem plugged into that socket the better your connection will be.
Edited by: "reececasey" 16th Sep
Is the concern purely the size of the box within the room? If so I would probably live with it if I were you, anything else is going to impact negatively for little gains on appearance.
If there was a tiny device that could transmit a wifi signal that plugs into your phone socket, why would we all be using the big, cumbersome routers?
reececasey16/09/2020 22:45

Is the concern purely the size of the box within the room? If so I would …Is the concern purely the size of the box within the room? If so I would probably live with it if I were you, anything else is going to impact negatively for little gains on appearance.

winzzz16/09/2020 23:19

If there was a tiny device that could transmit a wifi signal that plugs …If there was a tiny device that could transmit a wifi signal that plugs into your phone socket, why would we all be using the big, cumbersome routers?

Yea it’s the big clompy box it makes it so ugly especially vodaphones one! But I suppose if that’s the only option...
1. Ask your telephone provider to relocate your master socket. If price is prohibitive consider fibre before 2.
2. Get a simple dsl router with one Ethernet out and connect to Ethernet over power plug. OR
3. Run a good quality rj11 away from power to alternative location. The additional impedance will reduce bband quality a tiny amount but not as drastically as connecting multiple phones to the line for example.
J_s3116/09/2020 21:59

Correct my broadband goes into this socket Which is in the main room and I …Correct my broadband goes into this socket Which is in the main room and I only have 1 in the house now I don’t want my big router plugged in there ????

Look for an RJ11 to RJ11 cable made with (non-twisted) CW1308, long enough for you to relocate the router wherever you want; such a genuine cable will have neglible impact even if it's a long run.
Random example that mentions the specific RJ11-RJ11 and CW1308 in the description: ebay.co.uk/itm…624
although obviously a cabled solution is not a cableless solution.
If you are competent with electrical work, you could re-route where the BT phone cable enters the house into another room, which would be a clear breach of BT's rules and you'd be liable for any damage you cause to their equipment (don't touch the conductors as you can get a mild but nasty shock if someone dials you). They won't have a record of where it enters your house. Or else contact you provider to pay for an openreach engineer to move it. If you do it yourself, use the proper gel filled crimps and cable etc outside and don't run a long length of the petroleum gel filled outdoor BT cable indoors as it is a fire hazard if used indoors.

I moved mine myself when we had double glazing fitted as the glass dropped on the old window when it was removed and sliced through the phone cable, which originally went through the wooden window frame, the master socket is still in the same room, but the cable now goes through and chased into the wall and the phone socket is flush mounted away from the curtains so the phone cables don't get tangled with the curtain pull cords anymore and the master socket is not behind the curtain.

I have a 4 port cat5e ethernet socket near my phone socket, and while I normally have my router plugged directly into the master socket, I have had it in another room on the other side of the house with a modem cable plugged between the master socket and one of the spare ethernet ports that go to that room so that one of the cat5e ethernet cables that run between the rooms was retasked as a phone extension, it had very little impact on connection speed or error rates. However, using phone extensions, even cat5e is not recommended, as it can pick up electrical interference from electrical devices in the house and reduce your connection speed and reliability.

Another option is to choose suitable vdsl modem or modem-router that you actually like, or try to hide your isp one.
Edited by: "melted" 17th Sep
Try Three home wi-fi its a ormal router you connect to a three pin plug and works on a sim card . But you can buy the routers of Amazon or Ebay with no sim and you could use your own.
Post a comment
@
    Text