Wireless Router.. which one, how much?!.. I'm with TalkTalk so will any router do me?

Found 5th Aug 2009
Have a PC running on XP but would like to be able to connect a laptop wirelessly to the 'network'. Got a router from family member - it's an o2 one, but can't get it to work- as the modem i use currently is a talktalk one.. the o2 has its own modem in it methinks..can i do sommat in order to get it going? or do i HAVE to have the wireless router talktalk give at an additional cost?

i connected the ethernet, dsl and power supply cable and all lights on the router lit up- and were stagnant, not flashing at all.. the 'internet' one too..so power is going to it, but pc doesn't recognise it for internet access- cos of the modem? help and suggestions appreciated, and contributors repped as always

1. Misc
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Router
11 Comments

The O2 ones are set up for a very different ADSL2 network to TalkTalk. You could probabyl flash it and change the settings to suit, but I would imagine this is beyond your IT level from your questions (not trying to be patronising, what I am suggesting is fairly advanced stuff).

Basically any modem router can be made to work with your connection without involving your current modem, buy a new one for the easiest setup.

If your existing modem connects by RJ45 (network) lead rather than USB then this will be perfect for you:

hotukdeals.com/ite…-w/

Original Poster

sibeer;5939722

The O2 ones are set up for a very different ADSL2 network to TalkTalk. … The O2 ones are set up for a very different ADSL2 network to TalkTalk. You could probabyl flash it and change the settings to suit, but I would imagine this is beyond your IT level from your questions.Basically any modem router can be made to work with your connection on it's own, buy a new one for the easiest setup.

aah, yep, deffo beyound my IT level..:-D

.. so i should just keep away from the other network provider company's ones, got it... i'll shop for a netgear or dlink wotsit ones.. but saying that, saw a deal on ]here from asda 'trendnet' one, would this be good? and what about a talktalk one bought independently like ]this one-also from here?

Original Poster

sibeer;5939745

If your existing modem connects by RJ45 (network) lead rather than USB … If your existing modem connects by RJ45 (network) lead rather than USB then this will be perfect for you:http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/453607/belkin-f5d7231-4p-high-speed-mode-w/

current modem has an ethernet cable, and an adsl telephone line type cable..is that an rj45:??!

This is the modem i have (wired one)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DEGKjk%2BQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If that is set up to run of the ethernet connection (i.e. if you can connect to the internet with a computer connected to that), then something like the Belkin would be the easiest and cheapest way to sort things (not often those two come together).

Simply plug your box into the uplink on the Belkin and you should be able to connect any PC plugged into the Belkin to the internet. You then log into the Belkin Router (see the instructions) and setup your wireless internet. Be sure to use WPA security as a minimum if you don't want dodgy roger from down the road using your connection for his illegal downloads (or worse).

The Asda one would probably do a job too, but I would go for the Belkin. Final suggestion is to update the router to the latest firmware (again see instructions) before setting everything up on it.

Original Poster

sibeer;5939935

The Asda one would probably do a job too, but I would go for the Belkin. … The Asda one would probably do a job too, but I would go for the Belkin. Final suggestion is to update the router to the latest firmware (again see instructions) before setting everything up on it.

thanks a bunch for all the info, will update router too...think i will go for the belkin as suggested, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

give tt a ring, if you are at/near end of contract make mumbles about mac code and hey presto they will usually send you one for the job
Don't know the 02 one but many routers can be used on other networks its usually a case of entering a username/password in the routers homepage put up a pic and/or model number we will find out.

Original Poster

maddogb;5940242

give tt a ring, if you are at/near end of contract make mumbles about mac … give tt a ring, if you are at/near end of contract make mumbles about mac code and hey presto they will usually send you one for the job Don't know the 02 one but many routers can be used on other networks its usually a case of entering a username/password in the routers homepage put up a pic and/or model number we will find out.

I called talktalk and the did offer a free router- but only if i signed another 18mnth contract with them- if not, then to buy one from them for £30.. couldn't see how else i could blag one from 'em.. been with them for 4 years already...

pics below-

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/sammysammysamsam/IMG_4109.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/sammysammysamsam/IMG_4110.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/sammysammysamsam/IMG_4116.jpg

There are no usernames and passwords on the O2 / Beunlimited boxes. They are pre-configured to suit a setup that only they use in the UK (to my experience). Think that one is a rebadged Thompson Speedtouch 780G if I am not mistaken. Could be reflashed to work with other companies, your mate should bare in mind though that o2 are one of the few companies who normally ask for the router back at end of contract and happily charge you about £50 if you can't produce it.

The Belkin job won't replace your current router, it will supplement it. Calling TalkTalk may be a good shout, but only if you want to get tied into another 12 months or so. I find telling them you are leaving for a company who throw in a wireless router is a good way to get their retentions department to throw something your way, often with a discount too. O2 and/or Sky are both good to name drop as they offer a half decent service very cheap / free.

Original Poster

i called tt, and they're giving me the router for free and crediting account £30..i think im gonna stick with em and take advantage of their offer,,to be honest, am on a good package with them so all's well! thanks guys for all the help-
esp.sibeer:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text