Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Wiring New Lighting

Posted 31st Dec 2019
Hope everyone is feeling good for the back end of 2019!

Im starting my daughters bedroom after New Year and have bought her a new light fitting for her room, problem is the back of the light is completely flat... Its a Led cloud. What would I need to move the current pendant. Do I just install a junction box and feed through and store on the void in the loft? If so could anyone recommend exactly what product would be best for the job
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
You don't know what you are doing so i sugest you get an electrician to fit it.
What ceiling do you have, and what's above?
What does it say in the instructions?

Can you post the model or link to what you bought
I would recommend Wagu connectors and a Wagu junction box, not the cheapest,but easy to use.....like this

39552143-pDVlv.jpg
markvirgo31/12/2019 16:41

You don't know what you are doing so i sugest you get an electrician to …You don't know what you are doing so i sugest you get an electrician to fit it.

I can rewire a pendant I just don't know the best solution for the problem...

That's like saying get a car mechanic out to change a bulb.
Soukmadik31/12/2019 17:50

I would recommend Wagu connectors and a Wagu junction box, not the …I would recommend Wagu connectors and a Wagu junction box, not the cheapest,but easy to use.....like this[Image]

Yes this looks like the best option
Dannysubaru31/12/2019 17:54

I can rewire a pendant I just don't know the best solution for the …I can rewire a pendant I just don't know the best solution for the problem...That's like saying get a car mechanic out to change a bulb.

Not really, changing a car bulb wont burn down the house with kid in.
markvirgo31/12/2019 18:57

Not really, changing a car bulb wont burn down the house with kid in.

Disagree totally changing a pendant hardly burning the house down. If you not prepared to contribute then please don't bother
Dannysubaru31/12/2019 19:04

Disagree totally changing a pendant hardly burning the house down. If you …Disagree totally changing a pendant hardly burning the house down. If you not prepared to contribute then please don't bother

I did contribute by stating the best solution for the issue which you replied with a sarcastic comment.
You havent given enough information or answered questions to others for any other recomendations to be made.

Usually you would just unwire the pendent ceiling rose, fit light and then wire in directly to the new light. if you have loft access you can alter the wood batterning above the ceiling pendant which is also a juntion box allowing the ceiling pendant to be pushed into the ceiling giving you the flat ceiling to fit the flat cloud light. You could also unwire the pendant from under the ceiling and refit from the loft side so the pendant wire goes through the hole into the room and use this to conect to the cloud light.

There is no need to use any other conectors etc.
markvirgo31/12/2019 19:21

I did contribute by stating the best solution for the issue which you …I did contribute by stating the best solution for the issue which you replied with a sarcastic comment. You havent given enough information or answered questions to others for any other recomendations to be made. Usually you would just unwire the pendent ceiling rose, fit light and then wire in directly to the new light. if you have loft access you can alter the wood batterning above the ceiling pendant which is also a juntion box allowing the ceiling pendant to be pushed into the ceiling giving you the flat ceiling to fit the flat cloud light. You could also unwire the pendant from under the ceiling and refit from the loft side so the pendant wire goes through the hole into the room and use this to conect to the cloud light.There is no need to use any other conectors etc.

This is now contributing...

Thank you.

I also haven't added anymore information for you to give me this advice. Moral of the story don't start with a smart arse answer. If we all paid for every job that required a professional none of us would have a bean in the bank.

Thanks you for the great advice. <----- Not Sarcasm
Danny, hope you got it sorted. I would go with a junction box. Then run a cable out of the junction box that feeds the light. It's straight forward, you don't need a pro for this.
Thank Killer can you recommend a suitable one on Ebay or Screw fix?
Dannysubaru31/12/2019 19:37

This is now contributing...Thank you.I also haven't added anymore …This is now contributing...Thank you.I also haven't added anymore information for you to give me this advice. Moral of the story don't start with a smart arse answer. If we all paid for every job that required a professional none of us would have a bean in the bank.Thanks you for the great advice. <----- Not Sarcasm

Point taken.

I can't see why you would need any extra junction boxes when you are not extending or spliting a circuit.
The problem is I wasn't sure on safest best practise for the job I initially thought about moving the pendant through the hole but wasn't sure it would be a health and safety risk. Think a junction box would solve everything keeping all cables full enclosed and allowing me the space to push the box through the hole.
Pay an electrician, or play lucky dip with your daughters life. you clearly have no idea what you are doing and can afford to pay for it to be fitted by a person who spent 3 years (min) learning a trade. Make a resolution, do not cheap out on this.I have no issue with people trying their hand at things but when it comes to gas or electricity the gamble is often with other peoples lives, just pay the £40 odd pound and sleep well at night!
thomasleep01/01/2020 00:02

Pay an electrician, or play lucky dip with your daughters life. you …Pay an electrician, or play lucky dip with your daughters life. you clearly have no idea what you are doing and can afford to pay for it to be fitted by a person who spent 3 years (min) learning a trade. Make a resolution, do not cheap out on this.I have no issue with people trying their hand at things but when it comes to gas or electricity the gamble is often with other peoples lives, just pay the £40 odd pound and sleep well at night!

You think everyone who performs electrics has done 3 years learning it? Very sheltered. I can change sockets light switches and lights and all have been fine. I can also test them with the equipment available for safety checks electricians use. I you bothered to read above you would see its advice on best practice I need not how to do the wiring. Again this is not constructive feedback please bog off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions