Wiring sony stereo in fiat punto evo

Posted 26th Sep
hi, wondering if anyone knows much about the fiat wiring, ive read in multiple places, fiat have an unusual setup and use something called canbus to power the radio and needs a permanent and or switched live wiring from the 12v socket. i bought a fascia which came with the wiring adapter pictured below but i dont know if thats specifically for my car or just a universal one. also do i use the wiring that came with my stereo and plug it into this one, so using two adapters or just plug the one below straight into the stereo ? i can wire the 12v from cigarette lighter socket but do i attach that to the switched 12v and if so does it need a permanent live wiring too ? hopefully someone has experience with fiat wiring, thanks mark
3300732.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Not familiar with your car but you do need both connectors, the brown one deals with the speaker connections and the black is for power.
An easy option would be a couple of piggy back adaptors that go into the fuse box, just get the right size though!
If your not sure what your doing and don’t have a Haynes manual then why not take it somewhere to get it fitted. Wrong fitting can result in fire.
take it to halfords ,it dont cost much
I recently did this to my bravo. I have a fuse holder piggybacking from a 12v source and it gets its other power off the red wire. On my setup I had to cross the yellow and red between the iso ends as the head unit kept forgetting its memory. It was all explained in my Sony HU manual.
Also months before I paid halfords £30 and he did this all for me on my older car
It looks like there are two adapters for the Fiat Punto Evo - These are just via a Google Search

Without steering with controls dynamicsounds.co.uk/fia…tml

With controls dynamicsounds.co.uk/fia…tml

Before you go chopping and bridging wires, if you have the correct adaptors it should go something like - Your current car wiring connector - wiring adaptor -Sony stereo. There should not be a need to cut or rewire anything just plug and play.

As others have said you can always ask Halfords or the place where you purchased the Fascia and they will tell you the parts you need.

The old school way was cut the wires and choc block or crip the correct wires together, this always led to problems and as soon as you cut the OEM connectors off it becomes a much harder job and less safe as a short circuit even with a fuse protection can cause problems which are not worth the hassle in the long run.
Edited by: "Iamyelling" 27th Sep
missismop27/09/2019 09:39

Did I mention improper fitting can cause fire......
esar27/09/2019 07:32

Not familiar with your car but you do need both connectors, the brown one …Not familiar with your car but you do need both connectors, the brown one deals with the speaker connections and the black is for power.An easy option would be a couple of piggy back adaptors that go into the fuse box, just get the right size though!

Thanks for the input, using piggy backs is a good idea save me running cable from 12v cigarette lighter socket
smith2001uk27/09/2019 10:23

I recently did this to my bravo. I have a fuse holder piggybacking from a …I recently did this to my bravo. I have a fuse holder piggybacking from a 12v source and it gets its other power off the red wire. On my setup I had to cross the yellow and red between the iso ends as the head unit kept forgetting its memory. It was all explained in my Sony HU manual.

Cheers so you used piggy back for the switched live and the constant live came from the cars wiring ? I've wired many stereos before, but i was told that fiat wiring uses canbus which is parts of the ecu system to power the radio so iso adapters wont work until you add your own live source and i haven't even seen the wiring yet, ill sort it tomorrow, thanks
Mark_Hickman27/09/2019 13:58

Thanks for the input, using piggy backs is a good idea save me running …Thanks for the input, using piggy backs is a good idea save me running cable from 12v cigarette lighter socket

These might help too, depends on how far away the fusebox is
rover.ebay.com/rov…256
38557087-u8VWc.jpg
cmdr_elito27/09/2019 07:40

If your not sure what your doing and don’t have a Haynes manual then why n …If your not sure what your doing and don’t have a Haynes manual then why not take it somewhere to get it fitted. Wrong fitting can result in fire.

Thanks i know what im doing, its just the fact apparently it uses the ecu canbus system to provide power so iso adapters even made for the car wont work unless you wire a live and switched live, so i wanted to get a better insight off someone with a fiat before i take a look at the wiring tomorrow. Cheers
missismop27/09/2019 09:39

Halfords is the last place id take it, i want it done properly 😜
Mark_Hickman27/09/2019 14:22

Thanks i know what im doing, its just the fact apparently it uses the ecu …Thanks i know what im doing, its just the fact apparently it uses the ecu canbus system to provide power so iso adapters even made for the car wont work unless you wire a live and switched live, so i wanted to get a better insight off someone with a fiat before i take a look at the wiring tomorrow. Cheers

Always a bit wary of wiring in cars. Had a skin graft after my parked car exploded with me in it and got burned. Luckily was parked between a fire station and the hospital (they are at either end of the same road), was dragged out by fire brigade unconscious. It was electrical fault......
Mark_Hickman27/09/2019 14:19

Cheers so you used piggy back for the switched live and the constant live …Cheers so you used piggy back for the switched live and the constant live came from the cars wiring ? I've wired many stereos before, but i was told that fiat wiring uses canbus which is parts of the ecu system to power the radio so iso adapters wont work until you add your own live source and i haven't even seen the wiring yet, ill sort it tomorrow, thanks

I have the constant mains via the red via fiat (tested on multi meter) and the one from the fuse is 12v when ignition is turned. Unfortunately for my stereo when you go from first click to engine start it resets the radio as the drop in voltage is too much. Never solved that. Because my Sony loom needed the ignition and permanent the other way I used the crossover yellow and red and all is good with it turning on and keeping its memory.
cmdr_elito27/09/2019 17:54

Always a bit wary of wiring in cars. Had a skin graft after my parked car …Always a bit wary of wiring in cars. Had a skin graft after my parked car exploded with me in it and got burned. Luckily was parked between a fire station and the hospital (they are at either end of the same road), was dragged out by fire brigade unconscious. It was electrical fault......

That doesn't sound good, glad you were taken out before it got serious. You can never be to careful, after speaking with staff at multiple Halfords stores over the years in both fitting and bike departments, it quickly became apparent to me they dont have a clue and are not trained to the correct level/standard and im surprised it doesn't happen more often with the amount of people i see paying Halfords extortionate prices for simple jobs
smith2001uk27/09/2019 17:57

I have the constant mains via the red via fiat (tested on multi meter) and …I have the constant mains via the red via fiat (tested on multi meter) and the one from the fuse is 12v when ignition is turned. Unfortunately for my stereo when you go from first click to engine start it resets the radio as the drop in voltage is too much. Never solved that. Because my Sony loom needed the ignition and permanent the other way I used the crossover yellow and red and all is good with it turning on and keeping its memory.

When you say turning from one click to engine start resets it, do you mean turns radio off and back on or reset as in lose all its settings and stored stations ? Cheers
Sorry I had some efes last night. It just turns the radio off then on again. It remembers all settings. I assume via the red live battery one. The stereo requires 2 live powers as you've seen. 1 perminant (red) and ignition (yellow) which I piggy back from the internal fuse holder
smith2001uk28/09/2019 08:52

Sorry I had some efes last night. It just turns the radio off then on …Sorry I had some efes last night. It just turns the radio off then on again. It remembers all settings. I assume via the red live battery one. The stereo requires 2 live powers as you've seen. 1 perminant (red) and ignition (yellow) which I piggy back from the internal fuse holder

Thanks buddy, according to my stereo diagrams and text printed on my iso wiring adapter, red is switched live and yellow constant live, so basically if i run the piggy back red wire into the yellow wire and the permanent red fiat wire into the yellow on the stereo it will be setup the same as yours. Many thanks
Mark_Hickman27/09/2019 14:23

Halfords is the last place id take it, i want it done properly 😜

never had any problems with them myself
missismop28/09/2019 11:15

They fitted a Pioneer head unit and DAB aerial in mine and did a superb job for £170 all in.
missismop28/09/2019 11:15

Maybe you got lucky, when you ask most of them some questions, it quickly becomes apparent they dont know enough to be offering professional fitting services, also they charge double the cost of a light bulb to fit one, ridiculous and people pay it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants