Expired

Wiring the outside light

Found 27th Jan 2013
I have a problem trying to wire in our outside light.

I have uploaded a drawing to show the wires. (Below)

i713.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

basically I have taken down the old one months ago, and now can't work out how to wire in the new one.

The power cable (From Mains box) is joined to the switch where the light attaches to the wall outside.

I have

switch wire (Red, Black, Bare)
power wire (Red, Black, Bare)
light unit (L=Live, N= Neutral)

I'm sure it must be simple, but I can find instructions on the net.

I bought a multimeter today, so that I could identify which one is the power supply.

Any advice would be great (Unless its about getting an electrician in!!!!)
Community Updates
AskLighting
6 Comments
bare wire is earth

neutral is blue or black : live is red or brown

You have old wiring in your home not unsafe just that the standard now is brown and blue with green/yellow for earth
Edited by: "EastLondon" 27th Jan 2013
At least consult a spark. I would have said mains wire into the switch and then a single live and neutral to the fitting.

Check for an earth point on the light if the case is of steel construction.
Banned
Check light switch, if red in and black out then black is now the switch live, main permanent live(red) to switch live(red) switch black to live connection of lamp, mains neutral to lamp neutral, and both earth to lamp bond point.
Predikuesi

The two reds go together.The two copper go together.The two blacks go to … The two reds go together.The two copper go together.The two blacks go to the light connectors.Btw. There should be shield covers for the bare copper earth wires.

Black wire from switch is the live feed to the brown wire connector on the light.
Black wire from mains goes to the blue wire connector on the light
If the fitting is double insulated it will not require earth
If it has an earth connection it will need an shielded earth wire
The existing earth wires should be screened
Original Poster
DEALWARRIOR

Black wire from switch is the live feed to the brown wire connector on … Black wire from switch is the live feed to the brown wire connector on the light.Black wire from mains goes to the blue wire connector on the lightIf the fitting is double insulated it will not require earthIf it has an earth connection it will need an shielded earth wireThe existing earth wires should be screened

This makes it very clear thanks very much, I will give it a crack tomorrow.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants