Whisky drinkers

Posted 3rd Mar 2023
Evening all,

The Mrs bought me Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold for Xmas it's my first time getting into Whisky.

I'm looking for other recommendations to keep the beginners flow going. And any tips etc.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A never ending question that lol. There are some great whiskies out there worth a try for not a lot more than what you tried. Thing is you probably need to figure out your taste buds as to what type of whisky you are likely to prefer. I couldn't speak about blended malts as I only ever drink single malt. Some regions produce whisky that are heavily peated and smokey in flavour and undertones, others with more fruity and sweeter undertones. You tend to prefer one or the other.

I would buy 2 - a Glemorangie 10year old and a Laphroaig 10. I think they are both excellent malts for their money - both available for under £30. They sit at separate ends of the taste spectrum - one sweet and the other smoky. It will answer the question as to what your taste buds will like and from there you can exclude a large proportion in the future
    Author
    Thanks I'll take a look at the ones you have mentioned. It's been diffrent the last week drinking the one above I hardly drink spirits but has been nice to have some in the evenings and chilling while drinking this.
    Depends on YOUR taste.... I hate smokey/peat drinks myself, so my faves are Glenmorangie and Penderyn medera - very similar sweet edge to both.
    Rather than drop a load on stuff you won't enjoy, find a whiskey shop that will guide you through a few samples , then buy a bottle you'll enjoy - yes you would save money at the supermarket ,but it's money well spent as you'll discover your preferences.... then you'll know what to target in the future.
    Don't limit yourself to Scottish though... Ireland, Wales and Japan make some cracking stuff, as do other places no doubt.
    It's interesting how your taste buds continue to evolve and change over the years and decades. I HATED smoke and peat at first and a few decades later and everything I buy is now heavily peated. The stronger the better. Odd but true
    Author
    Is it also worth getting a decanter?
    Not really. no harm if you do.
    Highland Park 12 is a great light smoky flavour, every bottle tastes great and it's not too expensive.

Get a nice quality Glencairn and have it without ice.

Edit - made an error. (edited)
    Isle of Jura
    My drink of choice at the minute is Ardbeg 10, not for the fainthearted though. Shall we just say its very medicinal but very nice.
    It's right up there in my top 5 and for hard to get a better whisky for it's money (under £40 many a time through the year), but for the OP - note this is right up there in the medicinal/smokey/peat family.
    Never heard of wisky before must be a new drink;)
    Author
    Mybad 😜
    Really hard question to answer. Taste and to a certain extent price dependent. Here are my top 10.

More expensive
    bruichladdich classic laddie (absolute favourite and a brilliant intro to Islay whisky)
    bruichladdich port charlotte (heavily peated)
    Nc'nean Organic Single Malt
    The Balvenie
    Oban 14yr or Little Bay

less expensive
    Highland Park 12yr
    Penderyn MADIERA finish (Welsh)
    Cardhu Gold Reserve
    Talisker 10yr

cheap
    Ardmore Legacy

I like Macallan too, but feel the name adds too much price premium.
    Penderyn, you can get miniatures to find the one you like
    Some people swear adding a little water to whisky can enhance or bring out some flavours. My personal experience - it's the worst thing you can do to a decent whisky. Try it neat every time at least at first with one new to you. No harm in trying a little water, but it is usually very little. I have NEVER added water to whisky (nor ice for that matter) and never will. For me it's a sin
    Really depends on what Whisky your drinking, 40 to 48% you Really might not need water but 50 to 68 I think you only get the real flavours if you add a drop or 2 depending on strength but I do get everyone tastes are different.
    makes a really good point about whisky. Some do really benefit from literally 2 or 3 drips (and I mean drips) of water. I was skeptical about this until being given some comparison glasses on a distillery visit. I even bought the pipette to do it at home. It really divides the room, but I find it works if you buy a cask strength whisky which are around 57% proof. One to experiment with.
    I just pointed at a bottle of Whisky and said "you're next" as I walked out of the kitchen with a beer....

So yeah, big night ahead of me , will be needing more before Christmas.. (edited)
's avatar