With holding rent from LANDLORD

Found 11th Jul
landlord is a idiot. never gets things done. Would anyone advise witholding his rent until repairs are done? as playing nice guy simply isn't working. hes always had rent least 2 weeks in advanced. we're great tenants. we're always scratching his back and never have the same back. upd over rent recently even tho i pay it we haven't signed anything and yet we still do

please advise
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
No, don’t withhold the rent, if youdo the landlord can apply to the court to evict you.
Found this statement on Shelter’s website
In general, tenants do not have the right to withhold rent if the landlord does not carry out repairs. Doing so could jeopardise the tenant's right to remain in the accommodation. In certain circumstances, however, a tenant can pay for repairs and deduct the cost from future rent.
I would try to go down the I’ll get it fixed myself route and deduct any costs from the rent, but you must give notice of your intent.
You also need to look at your tenancy agreement to see if there is a time agreement for the landlord to make repairs.
If landlord so bad then why dont you find another place to rent?

Whats making you stay put ?

Contract would stipulate timing of your rent payment.....would not complying put you in breach?
Edited by: "ran123ran" 11th Jul
ran123ran5 m ago

If landlord so bad then why dont you find another place to rent? Whats …If landlord so bad then why dont you find another place to rent? Whats making you stay put ?Contract would stipulate timing of your rent payment.....would not complying put you in breach?

Cant afford new bond month up front and admin fees. Thats why I'm asking
42 Comments
If landlord so bad then why dont you find another place to rent?

Whats making you stay put ?

Contract would stipulate timing of your rent payment.....would not complying put you in breach?
Edited by: "ran123ran" 11th Jul
No, don’t withhold the rent, if youdo the landlord can apply to the court to evict you.
Found this statement on Shelter’s website
In general, tenants do not have the right to withhold rent if the landlord does not carry out repairs. Doing so could jeopardise the tenant's right to remain in the accommodation. In certain circumstances, however, a tenant can pay for repairs and deduct the cost from future rent.
I would try to go down the I’ll get it fixed myself route and deduct any costs from the rent, but you must give notice of your intent.
You also need to look at your tenancy agreement to see if there is a time agreement for the landlord to make repairs.
ran123ran5 m ago

If landlord so bad then why dont you find another place to rent? Whats …If landlord so bad then why dont you find another place to rent? Whats making you stay put ?Contract would stipulate timing of your rent payment.....would not complying put you in breach?

Maybe do as previous post suggests...ie discuss with landlord that you arrange repairs yourself and deduct from rent
Report him to the Council, they can force him to do the repairs.
machomansavage12 m ago

Think admin fees are illegal now
Shelter read this for a step to step guide on how to inform your landlord that you intend to get the repairs done and deduct it from the rent. If the correct procedure is followed, you will have a complete defence to any possession action taken for rent arrears resulting from the deduction of repair costs from the rent.
It might seem long winded but might be the best solution.
Report it to the local authority, they should have a private housing sector where they can take it a bit further. Not the only one having issues unfortunately
Just read your opening post again, can you correct/expand on the last sentence please, so that we may be able to help you further
Worse thing you can do is withold
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 11th Jul
psychobitchfromhell12 m ago

Think admin fees are illegal now

Going to be banned from next year I think but still legal at the moment.
I think illegal in scotland.
st8mike27 m ago

Really? Thanks for this but because its private rent how would i do this?
Slennard262715 m ago

Report it to the local authority, they should have a private housing …Report it to the local authority, they should have a private housing sector where they can take it a bit further. Not the only one having issues unfortunately

thanks for this info. Are you having problems too?
Toptrumpet22 m ago

Shelter read this for a step to step guide on how to inform your landlord …Shelter read this for a step to step guide on how to inform your landlord that you intend to get the repairs done and deduct it from the rent. If the correct procedure is followed, you will have a complete defence to any possession action taken for rent arrears resulting from the deduction of repair costs from the rent.It might seem long winded but might be the best solution.

Albeit in doing so you would be taking on the liability of the workmanship and burden in rectifying if not deemed suitable.
machomansavage32 m ago

Yep, the extractor fan in our bathroom is broken, making the whole bathroom damp. There’s also a light above the bath/shower, not a proper bathroom one like literally a one where water can get in. This has been going on since Jan, and nothing is being done. It’s so frustrating when you pay more than a mortgage would pay on this house a month to live in bad conditions
Use this months rent as a deposit on a new home to rent.
Don't withhold rent as you could be evicted - not a good ploy ! However the tenant has many rights so you must go through the right channels . CAB is a good starting point . You have to go through the correct channels and once you have set your legal claim to have the repairs etc done you can then legally claim it off the landlord . Normally the landlord once "threatened" with legal action will get your issues sorted (its in their interest) , but don't just withhold rent - that puts you in the wrong /
st8mike1 h, 23 m ago

Than what if he decides to kick you out because of that ??
Slennard26271 h, 11 m ago

Yep, the extractor fan in our bathroom is broken, making the whole …Yep, the extractor fan in our bathroom is broken, making the whole bathroom damp. There’s also a light above the bath/shower, not a proper bathroom one like literally a one where water can get in. This has been going on since Jan, and nothing is being done. It’s so frustrating when you pay more than a mortgage would pay on this house a month to live in bad conditions

Can't you just open the window? I know this is not the answer to the fact the extractor is broken, but it would stop mould. The switch for my extractor is above the door and I am short so I can't reach it. I use the window instead. I'm not entirely sure how water can get into a light fitting which is above the water unless your shower points upwards. It must be really frustrating as both of these are really easy fixes. I went down to see my tenants a few weeks ago. I asked them if anything was causing an issue. They said no, if it breaks we fix it. Obviously I deal with the big stuff but they just text me and they fix it and give me the bill or I just fix it. I would like to think I'm a good landlady
psychobitchfromhell20 m ago

Can't you just open the window? I know this is not the answer to the fact …Can't you just open the window? I know this is not the answer to the fact the extractor is broken, but it would stop mould. The switch for my extractor is above the door and I am short so I can't reach it. I use the window instead. I'm not entirely sure how water can get into a light fitting which is above the water unless your shower points upwards. It must be really frustrating as both of these are really easy fixes. I went down to see my tenants a few weeks ago. I asked them if anything was causing an issue. They said no, if it breaks we fix it. Obviously I deal with the big stuff but they just text me and they fix it and give me the bill or I just fix it. I would like to think I'm a good landlady

If it's not a proper bathroom light, water can get in from steam etc
Jay0802863 h, 39 m ago

If it's not a proper bathroom light, water can get in from steam etc

I'm none the wiser. What is a proper bathroom light? The ones in my house look no different from the ones in any other room.
machomansavage7 h, 53 m ago

Go and have a look at a series called rogue tenants slum landlords on demand 5. That’ll give you an idea of what councils can do. Each council normally has a housing officer (they may have different job titles) which can visit properties and issue improvement notices to landlords which are legally binding. If the landlord then fails to make the repairs by the date they can take them to court and even force them to sell the property (worst case) or stop them renting the property.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 38 m ago

I'm none the wiser. What is a proper bathroom light? The ones in my house …I'm none the wiser. What is a proper bathroom light? The ones in my house look no different from the ones in any other room.

There are specific regulations relating to the type of lighting that can be installed in bathrooms. As a landlord you really should make yourself aware of these requirements as you could be liable for the safety or otherwise of your tenants.

thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/bat…nes
Slennard26271 h, 41 m ago

Yep, the extractor fan in our bathroom is broken, making the whole …Yep, the extractor fan in our bathroom is broken, making the whole bathroom damp. There’s also a light above the bath/shower, not a proper bathroom one like literally a one where water can get in. This has been going on since Jan, and nothing is being done. It’s so frustrating when you pay more than a mortgage would pay on this house a month to live in bad conditions

Don’t mean to sound like an arse , but you can resolve this by buying a decent dehumidifier. It’s what I did! They’re really useful for drying clothes, you can also take it to the next place when you have enough for a deposit! :-)
Toptrumpet9 h, 5 m ago

Just read your opening post again, can you correct/expand on the last …Just read your opening post again, can you correct/expand on the last sentence please, so that we may be able to help you further

+1

Maybe the landlord doesn't understand the ops english

'upd over rent recently even tho i pay it we haven't signed anything and yet we still do'
Slennard26279 h, 12 m ago

Our extractor fan works but we never switch it on as its noisy so we always leave window open, day and night, every day (apart from storm conditions fearing window will get sucked out)......so basically its open
24 7 and we never had mold on our walls, either in current or last home...only mold was in the sealant in shower tray. The bathroom did get steamy and wet but we just used to wipe down the walls with an old towel and this helped keep everything looking clean.

The light wpuld be a worry though, but if its extra light just above bath/shower could you not switch it off and use the main bathroom light?
MrMoneySavingExpert7 h, 51 m ago

Don’t mean to sound like an arse , but you can resolve this by buying a d …Don’t mean to sound like an arse , but you can resolve this by buying a decent dehumidifier. It’s what I did! They’re really useful for drying clothes, you can also take it to the next place when you have enough for a deposit! :-)

Why should they? It's the landlord's property that is being damaged, by the landlords lack of action. The tenant shouldn't have to pay anything to resolve it.
Someone owes my brother rent for 4 months, he can't evict them either unless he takes them to court.
The tenant is blaming the government for less benefits. Now this tenant isn't the 1st one in the country saying that they are affected by cuts. It's so hard for landlords, especially when they have to clean the mess and not be payed a few months rent.
Misslovely10 m ago

Someone owes my brother rent for 4 months, he can't evict them either …Someone owes my brother rent for 4 months, he can't evict them either unless he takes them to court. The tenant is blaming the government for less benefits. Now this tenant isn't the 1st one in the country saying that they are affected by cuts. It's so hard for landlords, especially when they have to clean the mess and not be payed a few months rent.

I to have heard this! Takes a landlord three months to start court proceedings maybe even longer then could take months to evict the tenant
I assume the landlord manages the property himself rather than using an agent?
Write to the landlord detailing all the problems in the house that need fixing and why they need fixing (i.e. health and safety, legal obligation, aesthetics, functionality etc) and ask him to to fix them within the next calendar month and give him your mobile no. so that he can arrange with you a convenient time for tradesmen to call.
Not sure exactly what your last sentence meant, but I’m assuming if you have had an informal rent increase then also state that until the repairs are completed you will reduce your monthly rent back to original rental contractual agreement.
After all it is their property and you are showing diligence in advising the maintenance needed to keep the property in good habitable condition.
machomansavage11 h, 25 m ago

Really? Thanks for this but because its private rent how would i do this?

If he gets stroppy and tries to get you out he has to go to court and state his reasons. Unless he is a dope on a rope he isn't going to stand up in court and tell them it's because you made him do repairs.
ikorodu4 h, 10 m ago

There are specific regulations relating to the type of lighting that can …There are specific regulations relating to the type of lighting that can be installed in bathrooms. As a landlord you really should make yourself aware of these requirements as you could be liable for the safety or otherwise of your tenants. https://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/bathroom-lighting-zones

As the owner of two newly built properties i would assume they meet current regulations. Otherwise I'll sue the builders . My rental property is maintained correctly and adheres to all current requirements. I value my tenants too much not to.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 12th Jul
Misslovely2 h, 35 m ago

Someone owes my brother rent for 4 months, he can't evict them either …Someone owes my brother rent for 4 months, he can't evict them either unless he takes them to court. The tenant is blaming the government for less benefits. Now this tenant isn't the 1st one in the country saying that they are affected by cuts. It's so hard for landlords, especially when they have to clean the mess and not be payed a few months rent.

It’s part of the reason we haven’t purchased properties to rent out as there is too much power in the tenants hands.
deleted793389
You can buy an extractor for little more than a tenner screwfix.com/p/x…37d and easy to replace, making sure to isolate the power first.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 2 m ago

As the owner of two newly built properties i would assume they meet …As the owner of two newly built properties i would assume they meet current regulations. Otherwise I'll sue the builders . My rental property is maintained correctly and adheres to all current requirements. I value my tenants too much not to.

As landlord I would think it’s you who would be liable should an incorrectly installed light fitting cause injury to your tenant, not the builder. Perhaps you could sue the builders for your loss in terms of rent and or fines?

Given you didn’t seem to be aware of the regs around light fittings in bathrooms, how are you confident that the house meets current requirements? If you rely on letting agents then my experience as a landlord would say be very cautious. Many that I have used have been clueless on basic requirements (gas certs, legionella risk assessments and the like).

I’m in broad agreement with the other poster who said the being a landlord is more trouble than it’s worth. I really think that the changes the government are talking about will make things swing too far in the favour of the tenant. As a result there will be many landlords who will sell up. This will lead to a reduction in the number of properties available to rent and so push up the market rent.
deleted79338912th Jul

You can buy an extractor for little more than a tenner …You can buy an extractor for little more than a tenner https://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-vx100s-12w-bathroom-fan/3537d and easy to replace, making sure to isolate the power first.

Thanks, it’s the electricals that are broken so we need someone out to look at it
psychobitchfromhell16 h, 13 m ago

Can't you just open the window? I know this is not the answer to the fact …Can't you just open the window? I know this is not the answer to the fact the extractor is broken, but it would stop mould. The switch for my extractor is above the door and I am short so I can't reach it. I use the window instead. I'm not entirely sure how water can get into a light fitting which is above the water unless your shower points upwards. It must be really frustrating as both of these are really easy fixes. I went down to see my tenants a few weeks ago. I asked them if anything was causing an issue. They said no, if it breaks we fix it. Obviously I deal with the big stuff but they just text me and they fix it and give me the bill or I just fix it. I would like to think I'm a good landlady

Window is open 24/7. Still got mould. It’s just a badly built extension
ikorodu12th Jul

As landlord I would think it’s you who would be liable should an i …As landlord I would think it’s you who would be liable should an incorrectly installed light fitting cause injury to your tenant, not the builder. Perhaps you could sue the builders for your loss in terms of rent and or fines?Given you didn’t seem to be aware of the regs around light fittings in bathrooms, how are you confident that the house meets current requirements? If you rely on letting agents then my experience as a landlord would say be very cautious. Many that I have used have been clueless on basic requirements (gas certs, legionella risk assessments and the like). I’m in broad agreement with the other poster who said the being a landlord is more trouble than it’s worth. I really think that the changes the government are talking about will make things swing too far in the favour of the tenant. As a result there will be many landlords who will sell up. This will lead to a reduction in the number of properties available to rent and so push up the market rent.

i absolutely agree with you I would be responsible. I wouldn't put my tenants at any risk as I really like them. The house is new, we aren't talking about it being lit by gas mantle of anything like that. What I am saying is that if my tenants were to sue me, and if I had provided them with sub standard accommodation they would be within their rights to do so, I would then sue the builders to recoup my costs in that they built a house which was not compliant with safety regulations. I'm not a rogue landlord, I rent out a very well maintained new house. I'm not talking about an incorrectly installed fitting as that would certainly be my problem, I'm talking about the electrics to that point being sub standsrd.
psychobitchfromhell7 h, 33 m ago

i absolutely agree with you I would be responsible. I wouldn't put my …i absolutely agree with you I would be responsible. I wouldn't put my tenants at any risk as I really like them. The house is new, we aren't talking about it being lit by gas mantle of anything like that. What I am saying is that if my tenants were to sue me, and if I had provided them with sub standard accommodation they would be within their rights to do so, I would then sue the builders to recoup my costs in that they built a house which was not compliant with safety regulations. I'm not a rogue landlord, I rent out a very well maintained new house. I'm not talking about an incorrectly installed fitting as that would certainly be my problem, I'm talking about the electrics to that point being sub standsrd.

i saw a programme on channel 5 other night. and this ex law student tenant didnt pay her rent for 3 months due to a repair issue, even then the landlord couldnt just ''kick her out'' eventually he got rid of her buy going via the courts and get a warrant to do so, but then had to pay storage for all of her belongins for another 3 months. Landlords should be lucky to have nice tennants in this day and age and not take advantage of them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions