Withdraw euros in UK. Is it possible?

LocalFound 31st Mar 2017
So I'm due to go to Spain soon and I'm need some Euros.

I've got the Nationwide flex plus account which allows cash withdrawals abroad with no fee. This will get me the best rate on the day as the exchange rate will be set by the card.

Then i started to think is it possible to go to a post office and withdraw Euros with said card and the transaction be charged in Euros which would then leave the exchange rate be set by the card?

I'll double check with my bank first but was wondering if the Post office do/allow this.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
AFAIK, they'll withdraw in sterling then exchange to Euros for you.
Use the money saving expert travel money calculator to find the best deal
robertsclark

Use the money saving expert travel money calculator to find the best deal

​Usually it's the Halifax Clarity Credit Card, which I also have and could do the same with.
They are worthless, don't bother.
Can't you just get the money out of a cash machine once you get there? I normally do that with my Revolut card. Just find an ATM in a bank rather than a random one in the street.

I think UK transactions have to be in sterling so you will not be able to buy in Euros.
There are a few euro atms in London
paul123edwards

Can't you just get the money out of a cash machine once you get there? I … Can't you just get the money out of a cash machine once you get there? I normally do that with my Revolut card. Just find an ATM in a bank rather than a random one in the street.I think UK transactions have to be in sterling so you will not be able to buy in Euros.

​Well that was plan A but I wanted to take some with me so there was no immediate rush to find a bank machine.

Will have to get some exchanged. I've dropped Post Office an email too, so will see what they say.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
shepademus

​Ye I found that through a Google search. Unfortunately I'm know where near London, but thanks for the suggestion.
shepademus

​and at airport where you can withdraw in € or $
saphiryman

​and at airport where you can withdraw in € or $

​Do you know if these usually charge? Or use their own set exchange rate?
Forget the machines in the airport. They will be very expensive. If you just want 50 Eur or so buy beforehand from Travelex and pickup at the airport. For a small amount there will not be a huge difference in what you get.
Westfield Stratford there is a cash machine that dishes out euros
Could try a Revolut card.link
Edited by: "enzero" 1st Apr 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants