Expired

WK 125cc sport motorbike

Found 18th Oct 2013
just wanting to no peoples opinion on this bike as im looking to buy one soon.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
13 Comments
Peter. I'm 46 and was looking recently for a 125 to share with my Son who is at Manchester University mate. In the long run you'd be better buying a slightly used up to 3 years old CBR 125 mate, or the Yamaha YZF. Much better value in the long run, both bikes better finished and more robust.

My findings are that the WK Taiwan made motorcycles are poorly made in comparison. Hope this helps you. Am not a brand snob, am a 46 year old biker who likes to look at the whole picture. Another thing to consider is this, if you are sticking to biking after doing a test, then the bikes i have mentioned would hold their value much better and a trader would take from you without the bat of an eye.

Good luck and ride safe Pal ;-)

P.S. Trail or Super-Motad are good fun in 125 mode. DTR 125 LC etc ...

motorcyclenews.com/MCN…nt/
Thanks mate getting this advice from a few people lol what is a good milage for a bike of 2/3 years old?
PeterThompson10

Thanks mate getting this advice from a few people lol what is a good … Thanks mate getting this advice from a few people lol what is a good milage for a bike of 2/3 years old?

I would hope for one under 8-1000. Being four stroke they are pretty robust, unlike the 2 strokes which tend to wear out more prematurely, saying that, there are only four moving parts on the 2 strokes, no cams, vlaves etc ;-) ....

Plenty for sale on Autotrader. Make sure you HPI it first, making sure not written off, stolen etc. Some nice Kenny Roberts and Rossi replicas on there with tidy paint jobs.
I fully agree withe the above. Buy cheap, by twice. Go for a mainstream maker, not a cheap Taiwan / Chinese one.
As for the 4 stroke v 2 stroke, it depends on how much use it is going to get. If doing 50 miles a day, you will constantly be rebuilding the 2 stroke.
On the flip side, a full rebuild on afour stroke is £1000 plus at a garage, where as a 2 stroke rebuild is less than 1/2 that.
Hav a good look at motorcycle news website and do plenty of research. If you can, take someone with a bit of knowledge with you when you view, even small things like a chain can cost about £100 to replace.
Thanks for the feedback guys. im a complete novice and want a decent bike that I can get 2/3 years out of with no hassle and is easy to ride.
What sort of budget are you looking at, what mileage are you doing and what type of bike are you after? 125s come in all shapes and sizes now, from sports styles to roadsters. Get yourself down to a used bike dealers and sit on a few. If you are a newcomer to bikes, you will be amazed. Bikes arnt like cars, just because it's a 125, they won't all be the same. They will feel and ride differently. The other option is to head down to the bike show at the nec in a few weeks, all the manufacturers will be there and they have a free taster session. You can take your pick of a few 125s for a 15 mon lesson with an instructor.
When I was learning to ride I got a Honda CG125 Sport.

Price wise it cost me £950 and was only a couple of years old. I had it for 2 years and sold it for £950. I did a moderate amount of miles. IIRC it had about 6k on the clock when I purchased it and I sold it with 11k miles on the clock.

Maintenance wise I changed the oil and filter and regularly cleaned and lubed the chain and that was it. Never needed anything else.
Well ill be getting rid of my car so it will be an everyday bike going to work etc. Im thinking a racing style bike with 2/3 thousand pound budget. Yamaha or a Honda seem to be the ones recommended. I still have to do my cbt which I dont really no wat that in tails tbh or what knowledge I already need to no to do it!
PeterThompson10

Well ill be getting rid of my car so it will be an everyday bike going to … Well ill be getting rid of my car so it will be an everyday bike going to work etc. Im thinking a racing style bike with 2/3 thousand pound budget. Yamaha or a Honda seem to be the ones recommended. I still have to do my cbt which I dont really no wat that in tails tbh or what knowledge I already need to no to do it!

CBT was easy, you go to a centre sit in a class and watch some videos and they tell you a few bits you need to know. Then you go outside and practise going round in circles and round cones. Once they are happy you go out on the main road following them. Then back to the centre and they give you a certificate. It isn't a test it is just a certificate to say you have done the basic training. They did say you could fail by not being able to complete the training but I've never known anyone to not get through.

The Racing style bikes for 125s tend to be 2 stroke. They're noisier and less reliable - some of the racier ones need rebuilding every 1000 miles or so. You also have to be careful as some are too powerful to be used on L plates so you have to have them restricted which then makes them perform like a bag of nails. Insurance can be quite high as well.

How old are you?
im 25. I seen a 125 Honda cbf brand new so was thinking of sumthing like that. can I drive the bike for a while or will I need to do the training first?
You have to do the CBT before you can ride on the public road.

You will need:

To pass your CBT
Display L Plates
Make sure bike has current MOT and Tax
Have insurance (which will require that you have passed your CBT)
You won't be able to take passengers

The CBF is the replacement to the CG125 that I had.

It has 11bhp top speed of about 60mph. 65 if you flatten yourself against the tank and go downhill!

It is a 4 stroke so more reliable - they will make it to 60ish mph but it isn't fun at that speed. You're flat out just hoping for more as the cars keep driving past you! Great for nipping around on roads up to 40mph limits.

I used to get about 100mpg out of the CG125 so I'd have thought you could get similar.

If you are serious I'd get a 125 but only plan it to be a stop gap to get you riding - then take your direct access course when you are confident and get a bigger bike.
Yeah thats my plan hopefully lol Thanks for all the feedback much appreciated and will take everything on board.
Have a ganders at this Peter. Let us know how the bike hunting is going also mate. Most intrigued! (_;)

youtube.com/wat…3m4
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants