Women world cup sport pundits

Found 16th Jun
Was suprised to see women pundits on tv covering the football world cup. Now i don't watch football much so i was taken back a bit.

What are your thoughts on this?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Really women also drive cars and vote. This news may shock you
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 16th Jun
A women?? Out of the kitchen?? I am appalled!

RossD892 h, 20 m ago

[Image]

He's he's not the first bloke on HUKD to have gender classification issues.
63 Comments
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 16th Jun
Some are ok but the ones on Itv the other day didn't know what they were on about, had to turn it off until the game started.
Darzen3 m ago

Some are ok but the ones on Itv the other day didn't know what they were …Some are ok but the ones on Itv the other day didn't know what they were on about, had to turn it off until the game started.

That’s like the comment that the female pundit made prior to this mornings game. Saying Ronaldo always performs on the big stage like the World Cup.... when in fact he has been poor for every previous World Cup.
_Whatever_16th Jun

The point is ive never seen women pundits before. So this was news to me. Its always been men hasnt it? It was also the first time i heard a female commentator on a football match. Just want to know what people think on that?
Edited by: "fes37" 16th Jun
fes374 m ago

The point is ive never seen women pundits before. So this was news to me. …The point is ive never seen women pundits before. So this was news to me. Its always been men hasnt it?

Just out of interest then , who would you expect to commentate on women's football ? Should that also only be men , I think times they are a changing
Fed up of football seemingly being the old boys club, where I feel women have for too long been used solely to increase views...Sky Sports News springs to mind here.

Need more female pundits, and more female employment in the game. For example, why shouldn't a woman be able to lead a club to managerial success? Better than watching the dinosaurs that are Allardyce, McClaren & co on the roundabout of relegation zone employment. And when women do break into the men's game (i.e. Sian Massey- first female official that I remember seeing in the Premier League), they're subject to abuse and open sexism from so called fans, and the disgraced Andy Gray and Richard Keys. What's more I believe that The Daily Mail (of course) ran an article about how she was a 'party girl', complete with pictures of her having a bloody social life!

Back on topic, however, I strongly believe that female pundits would be just as opinionated and well-informed as their male counterparts. Not forgetting, for instance, that the England women's national football team reached the quarterfinals of the Women's World Cup in '95, 2007/2011, and finished 3rd in 2015. Compare that to the men's national football team who reached the quarterfinals in 2002/2006, and then failed to even make it out of their group in 2014. In this tournament, I'd like to hear of the immense pressure by those who have actually experienced it a lot more!

But of course, so long as people remain quiet about the situation nothing will change.
Edited by: "ajholmes93" 16th Jun
tinkerbellian9 m ago

Just out of interest then , who would you expect to commentate on women's …Just out of interest then , who would you expect to commentate on women's football ? Should that also only be men , I think times they are a changing

You mean women are allowed to talk? What!!!!!
_Whatever_16th Jun

You mean women are allowed to talk? What!!!!!

Yep, talk , walk and kick a ball about if that's what they want , it's an amazing new world out there isn't it
i am more surprised that you are allowed on the internet op
well done
We will be seeing men presenting on loose women next.

I'm all for equality but that doesn't mean at the expense of the best person for the job.

Having said that, i don't think it's an issue as long as they are the best for the job!
Edited by: "delusion" 16th Jun
delusion2 m ago

We will be seeing men presenting on loose women next.I'm all for equality …We will be seeing men presenting on loose women next.I'm all for equality but that doesn't mean at the expense of the best person for the job.Having said that, i don't think it's an issue as long as they are the best for the job!

Loose Women is a Vile Show
delusion1 h, 38 m ago

We will be seeing men presenting on loose women next.I'm all for equality …We will be seeing men presenting on loose women next.I'm all for equality but that doesn't mean at the expense of the best person for the job.Having said that, i don't think it's an issue as long as they are the best for the job!

Exactly. On Morocco's own goal, the woman presenter said "he should've hit it with his forehead, not the side of his head".

Erm...duh, captain obvious...
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 16th Jun
BBC right now France VS Australia , I beg your pardon but I don’t know whom the lady is- But she’s the Best pundit out of the 4!
Edited by: "ASongOfFireAndIce" 16th Jun
I think its good, I'm a bloke and there is a lot of women out there who are as passionate about football and have more knowledge then man, aslong as they don't choose women who clearly doing it for the money/fame boost then I think its a good step,

however I would not enjoy seeing a women referee.
ASongOfFireAndIce16th Jun

BBC right now France VS Australia , I beg your pardon but I don’t know w …BBC right now France VS Australia , I beg your pardon but I don’t know whom the lady is- But she’s the Best pundit out of the 4!

Alex Scott, ex England International. Yeh she's decent.
Cool Thanks- i only know a few female England Internationals - Don’t Really follow football as much as used to since I stopped playing! But she’s far more professional than the others! We’re in 2018 and the days of women staying at home and the man being the sole provider are gone! We should all embrace change!
ajholmes9358 m ago

England women's national football team reached the quarterfinals of the …England women's national football team reached the quarterfinals of the Women's World Cup in '95, 2007/2011, and finished 3rd in 2015. Compare that to the men's national football team who reached the quarterfinals in 2002/2006, and then failed to even make it out of their group in 2014. In this tournament, I'd like to hear of the immense pressure by those who have actually experienced it a lot more!

That's a really poor comparison. May as well compare the fastest sports car to the fastest aardvark. Take Serena Williams. Far and away the best, most powerful female tennis player of all time, yet John McEnroe reckons she would rank about 700 in the men's rankings, and he's being generous compared to some other professional tennis coaches who reckon she she wouldn't make the men's rankings at all and they go down to 2000+.

I don't like women football commentators. They all seem to just offer pre-planned clichés. They don't sound convincing at all. I think they have only appeared to appease the feminists of this world.
Edited by: "deeky" 16th Jun
ASongOfFireAndIce16th Jun

Cool Thanks- i only know a few female England Internationals - Don’t R …Cool Thanks- i only know a few female England Internationals - Don’t Really follow football as much as used to since I stopped playing! But she’s far more professional than the others! We’re in 2018 and the days of women staying at home and the man being the sole provider are gone! We should all embrace change!

Alex Scott is very good, the best of the new recruits by some measure. There is an evident drive to introduce more gender balance in the media coverage of football. As with the men, it is a mixed bag of good and bad. There are a couple of commentators (Robyn Cowen and Vicki Sparks) who do unfortunately grate. Mainly due to over-doing it and ending up sounding like Alan Partridge.
JamieScott1 h, 25 m ago

I so want to like your comment but I'm 99.9% certain I'm being watched

(and with an id name like this one has nobody and I mean nobody survives putting a foot wrong)

Oh Jesus - this got posted as a comment didn't it?

it's called humour
Edited by: "philphil61" 16th Jun
ajholmes931 h, 25 m ago

Fed up of football seemingly being the old boys club, where I feel women …Fed up of football seemingly being the old boys club, where I feel women have for too long been used solely to increase views...Sky Sports News springs to mind here. Need more female pundits, and more female employment in the game. For example, why shouldn't a woman be able to lead a club to managerial success? Better than watching the dinosaurs that are Allardyce, McClaren & co on the roundabout of relegation zone employment. And when women do break into the men's game (i.e. Sian Massey- first female official that I remember seeing in the Premier League), they're subject to abuse and open sexism from so called fans, and the disgraced Andy Gray and Richard Keys. What's more I believe that The Daily Mail (of course) ran an article about how she was a 'party girl', complete with pictures of her having a bloody social life!Back on topic, however, I strongly believe that female pundits would be just as opinionated and well-informed as their male counterparts. Not forgetting, for instance, that the England women's national football team reached the quarterfinals of the Women's World Cup in '95, 2007/2011, and finished 3rd in 2015. Compare that to the men's national football team who reached the quarterfinals in 2002/2006, and then failed to even make it out of their group in 2014. In this tournament, I'd like to hear of the immense pressure by those who have actually experienced it a lot more!But of course, so long as people remain quiet about the situation nothing will change.

You do know that when you burnt your bras it was an environmental disaster next time just donate them to the local scouts to be used for hammocks/tents

Oh and the megaphone wasn't working - you probably killed the batteries in another device.

Hits the red X top right corner and shuts down pc
thanks op - the authorities were alerted and its just been taken off air
_Whatever_16th Jun

Well i mean LEGALLY speaking they can drive cars yes.

catbeans1 m ago

Well i mean LEGALLY speaking they can drive cars yes.[Video]

Haha brilliant! Well I never said they were any good
brilly22 m ago

thanks op - the authorities were alerted and its just been taken off air

Not sure what your problem is. I never said I was against the current trend. I want to know how people feel about this that's all. And i know why this happening as others have mentioned in this thread. Be more constructive with your responses or just don't
Edited by: "fes37" 16th Jun
fes371 m ago

Not sure what your problem is. I never said I was against the current …Not sure what your problem is. I never said I was against the current trend. I want to know how people feel about this that's all. And i know why this happening as others have mentioned in this thread. Be more constructive with your responses or don't post

not against - just confused by
catbeans23 m ago

Well i mean LEGALLY speaking they can drive cars yes.[Video]

As much as I enjoyed the third clip, there's no evidence in most of the clips to support the claims that they were caused by women drivers
This shouldn't even be a talking point. It should just be normality.

RossD892 h, 20 m ago

[Image]

He's he's not the first bloke on HUKD to have gender classification issues.
deeky5 h, 28 m ago

That's a really poor comparison. May as well compare the fastest sports …That's a really poor comparison. May as well compare the fastest sports car to the fastest aardvark. Take Serena Williams. Far and away the best, most powerful female tennis player of all time, yet John McEnroe reckons she would rank about 700 in the men's rankings, and he's being generous compared to some other professional tennis coaches who reckon she she wouldn't make the men's rankings at all and they go down to 2000+.I don't like women football commentators. They all seem to just offer pre-planned clichés. They don't sound convincing at all. I think they have only appeared to appease the feminists of this world.

In all fairness, I've only ever heard one female commentator on MotD before so can't comment on that! However, as for punditry (e.g. offering football knowledge and insight in the studio...maybe even breaking the male-dominated Soccer Saturday!) there's no reason professional female footballers shouldn't have a platform purely because of perceived differences in talent between male and female professional footballers.

Oh, and as for philphil61, thank you for your very well conceived opinion. Unfortunately I can't burn my bras as I'm a male, but not one the sexist ones that you and many others on HUKD appear to be. If you can't have a proper discussion about the roles of men and women in society, then kindly keep your mouth closed so as to not offend my ears and those of other men who believe in a thing called equality. Ta
deeky6 h, 6 m ago

That's a really poor comparison. May as well compare the fastest sports …That's a really poor comparison. May as well compare the fastest sports car to the fastest aardvark. Take Serena Williams. Far and away the best, most powerful female tennis player of all time, yet John McEnroe reckons she would rank about 700 in the men's rankings, and he's being generous compared to some other professional tennis coaches who reckon she she wouldn't make the men's rankings at all and they go down to 2000+.I don't like women football commentators. They all seem to just offer pre-planned clichés. They don't sound convincing at all. I think they have only appeared to appease the feminists of this world.

But at the same time an experienced player like Serena might lose to some lower ranked young 19 year old man due to physical reasons. It doesn't mean that inexperienced young player is somehow more knowledgable about tennis than her.
Edited by: "sweeten16" 16th Jun
ajholmes931 h, 41 m ago

However, as for punditry (e.g. offering football knowledge and insight in …However, as for punditry (e.g. offering football knowledge and insight in the studio...maybe even breaking the male-dominated Soccer Saturday!) there's no reason professional female footballers shouldn't have a platform purely because of perceived differences in talent between male and female professional footballers.

Similarly, there's no reason why women footballers should have a platform purely on the basis they have done better than men in their respective competitions, albeit at vastly different levels of skill, which is what you implied.
Edited by: "deeky" 16th Jun
MadeDixonsCry6 h, 52 m ago

Exactly. On Morocco's own goal, the woman presenter said "he should've hit …Exactly. On Morocco's own goal, the woman presenter said "he should've hit it with his forehead, not the side of his head". Erm...duh, captain obvious...

Which is true of the majority of commentary which is why I either turn it off or have it on low with music on.
I'm not blind, I can see what's going on and don't need a running commentary.
sweeten1615 m ago

But at the same time an experienced player like Serena might lose to some …But at the same time an experienced player like Serena might lose to some lower ranked young 19 year old man due to physical reasons. It doesn't mean that inexperienced young player is somehow more knowledgable about tennis than her.

I didn't suggest that at all. See my reply above.
Women pundits/commentators are what you would expect, awful, only there for PC reasons, out of their depth, thank God for the mute button.
Some like Gabby Logan are old school but there are quite a few and I can't help but think that this is more of a PR stunt by the networks to appear to be diversified.
Let women do the punditry for women's football, and men do the men's football. They both better qualified and more knowledgeable in their own sports.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants