Wondering about OS disk and new Dell PC

10 replies
Found 29th Nov 2008
Hi, I bought a new Dell PC a little while back, was just looking through the disks that came and there isn't a Windows Vista disk, only a dell back up cd thing. Should I not have gotten the Windows disk too?

10 Comments

You should have, I did even with my refurb.
I'd give them a call!

it doesnt look like a normal windows disc? its a dell disc that says 'operating system, already installed' i think its a brown disc.

its prolly a oem disk which has the windows and drivers all incorporated to the back up disk

A couple of years ago Microsoft stopped companies like Dell shipping out "proper" Windows disks.

They found that people were installing these disks on other computers.

To stop this Microsoft made companies ship "recovery" CDs that includes a "build" of windows that includes all the drivers etc and it will only install on a PC from that company.

So if you have a "recovery" CD that is probably all you are going to get.

The only time you are going to get a proper "OEM" version of Windows on CD is if you get a small local company to build you a PC and they will have to buy the Windows OEM disk themselves so they should give it to you.

Original Poster

Ah right. yes there is the brown Dell disk, just wanted a proper Vista disk in case I want/need to format in future, would be nice to have a clean install without all the dell carp that came on the PC.

Thanks for your help guys xx

ChipSticks;3607529

Ah right. yes there is the brown Dell disk, just wanted a proper Vista … Ah right. yes there is the brown Dell disk, just wanted a proper Vista disk in case I want/need to format in future, would be nice to have a clean install without all the dell carp that came on the PC.Thanks for your help guys xx

that disc will do a clean install without the other dell stuff. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

shanecr;3607555

that disc will do a clean install without the other dell stuff. :thumbsup:

Ah... nice one, i presumed it would have all the carp on it again!

Rep for your help xxxx

ChipSticks;3611595

Ah... nice one, i presumed it would have all the carp on it again!Rep for … Ah... nice one, i presumed it would have all the carp on it again!Rep for your help xxxx

Afraid it will put all the Dell crapware on.
Will restore your system to the state it left the factory (with McAfee and Google toolbar and whatnot preloaded)

plap;3622230

Afraid it will put all the Dell crapware on.Will restore your system to … Afraid it will put all the Dell crapware on.Will restore your system to the state it left the factory (with McAfee and Google toolbar and whatnot preloaded)

no. it wont.

its a full windows disk will do a clean install without all dell crapware you can also re partion drive and claim more space by removing recovery partion did it with my dell laptop gained about 5 gig and no crapware with dell disk
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions