Groups

Wondering how to make your own Christmas Cakes??? Here's a bit of help.

I make my own Christmas Cakes and I know that the thought can be a bit daunting.
    It's time consuming but straight forwards. Just mixing stuff up together in sequence. Give it a go.
    • Beat together the fat and sugar until they are creamed.
    • Beat the eggs and fold them into the fat-sugar cream.
    • Fold in the dry ingredients, including the ground almonds, then the treacle
    • Stir in the fruit, add the lemon last

Over the years I have developed this mix of ingredients and have stuck to it now for about 11 years.
    Ingredients for 2 x 8/9" tins :

16oz plain flour - sieved
    16oz butter/marg
    16oz soft brown sugar with some caster sugar - sieved
    9 eggs
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp mixed spice
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2tbsp black treacle
    grated rind and the juice of a lemon
    4oz ground almonds
    5lbs mixed dried fruit i.e. glacé cherries, raisins, mixed peel, sultanas, currants inc 4oz almonds. (Weigh out the fruit separately and you can use any fruit you like to make up the weight.)
    4 tsb brandy

47 Comments

Original Poster

HOW TO COOK & KEEP:
    Line the tins with greased greaseproof paper.
    Line the outside with brown paper.
    Transfer the mix to the tins.
    Put a loose sheet of brown paper over the tops.
    Cook slowly – 1.5 hours at 150, then 3 hours or so at 130. Test to see if ready by inserting your sharpest fine long knife – if it comes out clean then it’s done OR if it’s brown and starting to come away from the sides.
    Take out of tin as soon as possible.
    Pour on the brandy when cooked.
    Wrap when tepid in thick foil; leave the greaseproof paper on.
    They will keep like this for several months. You can repeat the brandy after a month. They will get better as time passes.
    If you have room in the freezer, keep them in there as it makes them even better and they keep indefinitely like that.

Edited by: "chesso" 1st Nov 2010

Original Poster

These are last year's cakes !!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/ChristmascakesMedium.jpg

Banned

Thanks

Banned

i used to make my own, but now just buy, i know its not the same but just buy a small one and then it isn't hanging around for yonks, my two are not big eaters of cakes, now sweets on the other hand - lol

u forgot to add 'voila' at the end!

btw i need a taste test..... have pm'd u my address....send me a cake and i will let u know if its a thumbs up from me! X)

Original Poster

i used to make my own, but now just buy, i know its not the same but just … i used to make my own, but now just buy, i know its not the same but just buy a small one and then it isn't hanging around for yonks, my two are not big eaters of cakes, now sweets on the other hand - lol

Wait until your lad is 6'4" and you'll see that shop-bought cake gone in one bite.:D

Original Poster

magicbeans

u forgot to add 'voila' at the end!btw i need a taste test..... have pm'd … u forgot to add 'voila' at the end!btw i need a taste test..... have pm'd u my address....send me a cake and i will let u know if its a thumbs up from me! X)

Will do - P&P is £30 = these cakes are substantial.

Thanks Chesso, I've always wanted to make my own Christmas cake, but have never got around to doing it, but this year I'm going to give it a go!

Original Poster

livingthelife07

Thanks Chesso, I've always wanted to make my own Christmas cake, but have … Thanks Chesso, I've always wanted to make my own Christmas cake, but have never got around to doing it, but this year I'm going to give it a go!

Well LTL, don't tell anyone, but I voted your cake the best in 'the comp' so I am certain that you will make a great cake. Hope you'll put a pic up!!

I want them to move the **** submit button - just lost my last 2 comments

My grandmother was very good at baking. she used to make Christmas cakes and puddings. (including the old fashioned sixpence in the pudding).
    But it was a skill that was never transferred down the generations. I have been considering making my own over the last few years. But as it is something that is shared it needs to be edible. It would be shameful to do it badly.

Maybe I need a few trial runs before unleashing my attempts on others.

I see two cakes in the pic, Chesso please send one to MB and the other one to me.....only for testing purposes! Will update the thread with my review! Thanks.

Banned

chesso

Wait until your lad is 6'4" and you'll see that shop-bought cake gone in … Wait until your lad is 6'4" and you'll see that shop-bought cake gone in one bite.:D

lol - yeah maybes, i am surprised he isnt really, he has a really bad sweet tooth, but not overly interested in cake

I have done my pickled onions and pickled eggs this year, and neither of them like them, but i does - lol

Original Poster

Marina

I see two cakes in the pic, Chesso please send one to MB and the other … I see two cakes in the pic, Chesso please send one to MB and the other one to me.....only for testing purposes! Will update the thread with my review! Thanks.

Hope you won't be spitting it out like for wine tasting!

WoolyM

I want them to move the **** submit button - just lost my last 2 … I want them to move the **** submit button - just lost my last 2 commentsMy grandmother was very good at baking. she used to make Christmas cakes and puddings. (including the old fashioned sixpence in the pudding).But it was a skill that was never transferred down the generations. I have been considering making my own over the last few years. But as it is something that is shared it needs to be edible. It would be shameful to do it badly.Maybe I need a few trial runs before unleashing my attempts on others.

Wooly, do you know that you can pull the box down by dragging the dots in the middle bottom of the reply box and then clicking outside the box? The submit click one is a real 'teeth grinder' I agree!

Have a go; it's just .... following the instructions!

I cant see any dots.

I think I keep clicking on search my mistake - and then its GONE!!!

Need to buy the most of the ingredients.

chesso

Hope you won't be spitting it out like for wine tasting!

X)

That depends on how the cake tastes like Chesso, can't promise anything. Sure it tastes great though!

Original Poster

starsparkle2311

That's a nice recipe, I like the addition of black treacle. I've only … That's a nice recipe, I like the addition of black treacle. I've only made one once, I used the be-ro cookbook recipe, turned out quite nice. My kids weren't too keen on it though, so I cut it up into slices and froze it, I was still eating Xmas cake in June,lol.Tend to leave the cake making to my mother now, she uses the be-ro recipe too and shares hers out with me and my brother.

I know people who swear by gravy browning!!

Yes, I used always to have mine from an Aunty, who produced about 10 for all the family, but when we stopped visiting before Christnmas, after the kids came along , I had to get cracking myself!

Helpful hint No 2 - get your mum to make them!

Original Poster

sassie

lol - yeah maybes, i am surprised he isnt really, he has a really bad … lol - yeah maybes, i am surprised he isnt really, he has a really bad sweet tooth, but not overly interested in cakeI have done my pickled onions and pickled eggs this year, and neither of them like them, but i does - lol

Pickled eggs - eeekkkkk!! Conjures up visions of those big jars in the chippy! I don't like pickled eggs.!!

Wooly ; these dots
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/dots.jpg

Well.. That one useful fact I have learnt today.
    I can retire happy now

Chesso was kind enough to give me this recipe last year and it's delicious It was the first time I've ever made a Christmas cake & the little one loved decorating it with me just before the big day itself

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/sadiebabes/Photo-0980.jpg

Thanks again Chesso x

Do you decorate them as well? You know .. marzipan and all that?

starsparkle2311

Decorating is the best bit!!! That's the main reason I made one when I … Decorating is the best bit!!! That's the main reason I made one when I did. Can't have a Xmas cake without marzipan and icing. We had penguins and snowmen on ours, looked really good too.

Ok. Think I could master a snowman. A penguin might be a bit more challenging.. Could be good fun though

Original Poster

sadiebabes

Chesso was kind enough to give me this recipe last year and it's … Chesso was kind enough to give me this recipe last year and it's delicious It was the first time I've ever made a Christmas cake & the little one loved decorating it with me just before the big day itself :)Thanks again Chesso x

Only too pleased to help, my dear! Your cake is really brilliant. http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/animated%20smilies/hukdthumbsup2.gif

I used to marzipan and decorate mine but my sons grew to dislike both marzipan and icing, so now I sprinkle with icing sugar and put all my plastic trees robins, greettngs etc straight onto that. http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/animated%20smilies/hukdoops.gif

Your cakes look quite golden Chesso. Are they dark inside?

Im making my own xmas cake this year, but using a recipe from the Hairy Bikers! Going to be feeding it every week with some brandy until xmas
    Have also made Pickled Onions & Pickled Pears from their book too...

Original Poster

WoolyM

Your cakes look quite golden Chesso. Are they dark inside?

Yes, quite dark - due to the treacle ( or the gravy browning!!).
    I think the golden look is the lighting and the shiny cake surface.
    Not too dark though, not like liquorice.

Right, I'm off.

Take up those wooden spoons, cake makers!!

Making the decorations sound a great idea for involving the little ones. Lots of mess though.

You're all making me hungry,stop it.

I wish i had an interest in cooking,but it's by-passed me,those cakes look yummy though!!

chesso

Only too pleased to help, my dear! Your cake is really brilliant. I used … Only too pleased to help, my dear! Your cake is really brilliant. I used to marzipan and decorate mine but my sons grew to dislike both marzipan and icing, so now I sprinkle with icing sugar and put all my plastic trees robins, greettngs etc straight onto that.

Aww thank you, it's all thanks to you though It was so nice making & decorating it with the little one. I think you've started a really lovely tradition in my house!

The cake tastes super yummy so doesn't really need the icing/marzipan (like some shop bought ones do) but at least you don't leave them completely naked! X) x

Original Poster

birdyboyuk

Im making my own xmas cake this year, but using a recipe from the Hairy … Im making my own xmas cake this year, but using a recipe from the Hairy Bikers! Going to be feeding it every week with some brandy until xmas :)Have also made Pickled Onions & Pickled Pears from their book too...

Pickled pears???
    I have never heard of that.

You'll have to make 2 cakes then birdy One for adults with the brandy and another with 0% proof!

I've used the Waitrose recipe for the last 2 years & its really yummy. I'd never made one before as we always had to go to the in-laws for all of xmas & MIL was considered the baker of the family so didnt dare compete!
    You can see that the kids do all the decorating though I have to oversee or there'd be no icing left to cover if it was up to them.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/rosered100/DSC03007.jpg

PS it does taste better than it looks!
    Edited by: "rosiegirl" 1st Nov 2010

Original Poster

rosiegirl

I've used the Waitrose recipe for the last 2 years & its really yummy. … I've used the Waitrose recipe for the last 2 years & its really yummy. I'd never made one before as we always had to go to the in-laws for all of xmas & MIL was considered the baker of the family so didnt dare compete!You can see that the kids do all the decorating though I have to oversee or there'd be no icing left to cover if it was up to them.PS it does taste better than it looks!

Well it looks fabby (nice decorating skills from the kids), so it must taste brilliant.

I laughed at the fear of the MIL!! My DILs know that they can cook/bake here anytime and do the dusting and hoovering.

So what do you think then Chesso.

Is this the next competition?

Original Poster

WoolyM

So what do you think then Chesso.Is this the next competition?

I don't think so.:D

Dog_cop has another comp in mind, although nothing has been revealed yet.8)

I will do a garden quiz sometime this month, I reckon.

looks lovely chesso

Yum , Christmas cake is a fave. I may just have a go at this chesso !

Watch that space >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Great thread BTW

Original Poster

edjaned

looks lovely chesso

I hope you'll be getting your appetite back by Christmas.

Do you do a bit of cake baking for the Yuletide scoff-up?

chesso

I hope you'll be getting your appetite back by Christmas. :DDo you do a … I hope you'll be getting your appetite back by Christmas. :DDo you do a bit of cake baking for the Yuletide scoff-up?

so do i chesso im sick and tired of drinking complan
    no i dont really do the cake baking,my nain does some bara brith for us though

Original Poster

edjaned

so do i chesso im sick and tired of drinking complanno i dont really … so do i chesso im sick and tired of drinking complanno i dont really do the cake baking,my nain does some bara brith for us though

Fruit cake's probably a bit heavy!
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/animated%20smilies/sHa_friends.gif

Get your nain to rustle up a nice Madeira cake!

Bedtime! xx

chesso

Fruit cake's probably a bit heavy!Get your nain to rustle up a nice … Fruit cake's probably a bit heavy!Get your nain to rustle up a nice Madeira cake!Bedtime! xx

yeah sounds good
    night xx

Baked this years cake last night, had planned to do it over the weekend but had baked loaaads on Sat with the lil one and Sun was obv Halloween.

Top Tip: Don't start baking your Christmas cakes after 8pm, unless you wanna be up at 2am... d'oh!

It was all wrapped up in it's tin but lil one wanted to see it when she came home from school so thought I'd take a wee pic

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/sadiebabes/Photo-1307.jpg

Soo tempted to have a slice nom nom nom
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944498
      2. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7151347
      3. What would be HELL to you?1922
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1628

See more discussions