Wood burning stove. Best prices?

Posted 4th Jan
Heya.

We're looking to buy a 5Kw stove. We've space for a wide screen one, and would like it to be Eco/2022 standard, & A++/A+ rated.

Where's the best place for best prices?

Anyone seen voucher codes anywhere?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Your best visiting some stove stores and see what type of design you like and then google for a cheap price
Depending on your experience, log storage (if anything other than decorative you need SPACE) for a seasons wood.
hooked up as a sealed room unit with a draw pipe from the outside & for decent burn efficiency (when used correctly) & flame "play" ..plus lots of secondary burn potential...

burley.co.uk/cat…es/

If I was buying another stove i'd get one of these!

Ring them with details of your proposed set up & you'll get good assistance / direction.

Buying a "cheap stove" is rarely a bargain, seen too many naff ones for little to a lot of money, generic knock offs tend to skimp.
The secondary burn potential of the burley is superb!
ukstoves.co.uk/

My last stove was a Hunter Parkray Aspect 4 double sided. I paid under £1200 for it, the next cheapest was over £1500. Excellent service from them (they even told me to wait a week for a discount they were about to run).

It makes you really how massive the markup on stoves is.
PS.
Buying a WBS is different to fitting a wbs, it can cost more than the stove itself unless you already have a decent pre-existing chimney then it is minimal mods.

I used to help my uncle a longstanding seller & fitter of em as a kid, always had a wbs, thus the ongoing interest.
Unless someone is stripping out a modern flat because they came home pished up & failed to impress the lady present with their firemaking skills then you tend not to find almost new decent stoves cheaply!

But that's how I got a 3k back in the day cheaply ..& with a well built kindling nest & able chimney it returns heat well within 10 -15 minutes of firing up.

Consider fitting an expensive "1 off" of a terracotta "H" pot to assist calming turbulence, .likely you'll be sold 3 different things to sit up there (& fitting cost each time) before settling on one.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 5th Jan
Mr_Gus04/01/2020 19:39

Depending on your experience, log storage (if anything other than …Depending on your experience, log storage (if anything other than decorative you need SPACE) for a seasons wood.hooked up as a sealed room unit with a draw pipe from the outside & for decent burn efficiency (when used correctly) & flame "play" ..plus lots of secondary burn potential...https://burley.co.uk/category/wood-burning-stoves/If I was buying another stove i'd get one of these!Ring them with details of your proposed set up & you'll get good assistance / direction.Buying a "cheap stove" is rarely a bargain, seen too many naff ones for little to a lot of money, generic knock offs tend to skimp.The secondary burn potential of the burley is superb!

Can strongly recommend the Burley Holywell, I done my research at the time and bought one after reading multiple reviews. Love the stove, had it for about 3 years and at this time of the year it’s used daily. When I was buying mine it was widely reported to be one if the most economical stores available with an efficiency of 89.1%.

Still under £800

stovesareus.co.uk/bur…wcB
Edited by: "alictait" 5th Jan
alictait05/01/2020 15:07

Can strongly recommend the Burley Holywell, I done my research at the time …Can strongly recommend the Burley Holywell, I done my research at the time and bought one after reading multiple reviews. Love the stove, had it for about 3 years and at this time of the year it’s used daily. When I was buying mine it was widely reported to be one if the most economical stores available with an efficiency of 89.1%.Still under £800https://www.stovesareus.co.uk/burley-holywell-wood-burning-stove.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyJM4vVL5DJuTTU1CQBSUQjmhKy0jjHeAskPV8uuRirt2jxMBnhqOzsaAsY4EALw_wcB

& that's why I recommend it.
Good airwash, good starting (lighting airflow)Recessed chamber.
Proven gasification, (additional calorific burn, squeezing more out of your firewood & leaving less pollutants behind).

But only if you use good dry logs & learn the nuances of your set up in relation to your immediate environ (local wind).
Mr_Gus05/01/2020 15:14

& that's why I recommend it.Good airwash, good starting (lighting …& that's why I recommend it.Good airwash, good starting (lighting airflow)Recessed chamber.Proven gasification, (additional calorific burn, squeezing more out of your firewood & leaving less pollutants behind).But only if you use good dry logs & learn the nuances of your set up in relation to your immediate environ (local wind).

It really is a doddle to use. Good dried wood definitely makes a big difference to any stove of course, if you happen to be in Scotland central belt then I can recommend a good supplier for wood.
Thanks, too far from me (nr Cambridge) I buy in a 40 footer of oak off cuts at a time.

Good dry high calorie wood that is technically "waste" making for good high temp burning.

Happy you like your Burley! ..it was a remarkable step up in efficiency, & a few % above my own high efficiency burner.(jealous)
Mr_Gus05/01/2020 17:53

Thanks, too far from me (nr Cambridge) I buy in a 40 footer of oak off …Thanks, too far from me (nr Cambridge) I buy in a 40 footer of oak off cuts at a time.Good dry high calorie wood that is technically "waste" making for good high temp burning.Happy you like your Burley! ..it was a remarkable step up in efficiency, & a few % above my own high efficiency burner.(jealous)

I have a decent amount of storage space but don’t think I could store as much as that , nice source for you though, would be a great way to buy it I’d imagine.

Never had any regrets in buying the Hollywell, only issue I have ever had was the mesh on the stainless steel baffle plate burnt through pretty quick, replaced it with some stainless steel stuff and it’s been great since.

I don’t have the Air draw pipe on mine, not sure what benefit I’d get from it. My house was built in 1870, although has been renovated with lots of insulation since.
Helps as a sealed room module, as well as helping a more solid burn efficiency, gets round ventilation requirements that fight the units heat output to your heated space.
alictait05/01/2020 15:30

It really is a doddle to use. Good dried wood definitely makes a big …It really is a doddle to use. Good dried wood definitely makes a big difference to any stove of course, if you happen to be in Scotland central belt then I can recommend a good supplier for wood.

Just moved to Lewis ... No trees but we can dig peat for free Imported tonne bags of wood are around £70 when buying three at a time.

House is costing £125/week to use night storage :/ A grand, for two months is #ucked up!

Hence why I wanna stove. No gas near, except bottled.
How many storage heaters are you using because that is crazy! I run an oil radiator in my bedroom all night and that only costs about £1.50 a night
I suggest layers, hot water bottles and nice thick rugs until you can find a burner and supplier to fit it
ndyanem06/01/2020 20:16

How many storage heaters are you using because that is crazy! I run an oil …How many storage heaters are you using because that is crazy! I run an oil radiator in my bedroom all night and that only costs about £1.50 a nightI suggest layers, hot water bottles and nice thick rugs until you can find a burner and supplier to fit it

Kitchen and lounge are biggest, about 1 meter.

Small one in hall, smaller in bathroom.

Plus, 2 panel heaters in first two bedrooms that are seldom on.

Elastic trickery is more expensive on our island, even after switching. And, we are well over self sufficient in power creation from wind on our island, too.
...erm...06/01/2020 20:49

Kitchen and lounge are biggest, about 1 meter.Small one in hall, smaller …Kitchen and lounge are biggest, about 1 meter.Small one in hall, smaller in bathroom.Plus, 2 panel heaters in first two bedrooms that are seldom on.Elastic trickery is more expensive on our island, even after switching. And, we are well over self sufficient in power creation from wind on our island, too.

Can you not turn them off when your not in the room? I think you need better insulation as well or learn to adapt to colder conditions. My house temp is usually 14-16c and I refuse to put the heating on unless I need the hot water, I just layer up. The only reason I put the oil radiator on at night is because I have to keep the bedroom door open because the dog likes to do guard patrol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions