Wood cutting service at Homebase/B&Q?

Found 14th Mar 2015
Do Homebase/B&Q offer a wood cutting service? I have an under the worktop, two door kitchen cupboard which my gas meter is in. The people that installed the kitchen units left the shelf out of this cupboard because of the meter. I would like to put a shelf in it (the holes are there already for a shelf). There is a piece of wood fixed at the front where the doors close, which looks a bit complicated to remove. I'm thinking of getting two pieces of wood and putting a support in the middle (as one long piece won't fit it because of the wood fixed at the front). However, I would need a piece around 8" wide and 5" depth (so 3 cuts in all) cut out on one side of one piece of wood to fit around the top of the meter pipes. I haven't got the right saw to do this, etc, so was wondering if Homebase offer this type of service? If they do, how much do they charge please? Also, for a cupboard shelf what type of wood is used - is it MDF or something? Thank you.
Community Updates
10 Comments
Most big diy stores do offer cutting services, but not the type of cutting that you're after. They cut through the whole of the wood with a big circular saw, not semi-intricate cut's like you're after.

Also I wouldn't recommend using mdf as the shelf, maybe something like melamine board would be better.

Have you thought about asking a local handyman? It will probably save you a lot of time & hassle.
can you not borrow a jigsaw with the correct blade off a friend or neighbour
Edited by: "ninegt" 14th Mar 2015
£18.00 with some excellent reviews - add some decent blades if you wish.

screwfix.com/c/t…856
Original Poster
richgo

£18.00 with some excellent reviews - add some decent blades if you … £18.00 with some excellent reviews - add some decent blades if you wish.http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/saws/cat830856#category=cat830856&page_size=20&page_start=0

Thank you for this. Think I might have to invest in one.
b&q won't ... I wanted a piece of tree trunk cutting in half and asked if they would do it. there response was that they would only cut wood/timber etc purchased at the time in-store.
Original Poster
richgo

£18.00 with some excellent reviews - add some decent blades if you … £18.00 with some excellent reviews - add some decent blades if you wish.http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/saws/cat830856#category=cat830856&page_size=20&page_start=0

Hello, just had a look at this and the PDF of instructions. It says to attach the soft tube of the vacuum cleaner to the back outlet bit. Bit confused about this, does the vacuum cleaner have to be on at the same time as the jigsaw, so that any dust gets sucked up the tube? Do you actually have to use a vacuum cleaner or can you get (disposable) bags to attach to this instead? Just wondering if you might know about this. Thank you.
Sophiasky

Hello, just had a look at this and the PDF of instructions. It says to … Hello, just had a look at this and the PDF of instructions. It says to attach the soft tube of the vacuum cleaner to the back outlet bit. Bit confused about this, does the vacuum cleaner have to be on at the same time as the jigsaw, so that any dust gets sucked up the tube? Do you actually have to use a vacuum cleaner or can you get (disposable) bags to attach to this instead? Just wondering if you might know about this. Thank you.

Hi, sorry I can't help. I don't have one... it's on my list to pick up next time I go to Screwfix.
Original Poster
richgo

Hi, sorry I can't help. I don't have one... it's on my list to pick up … Hi, sorry I can't help. I don't have one... it's on my list to pick up next time I go to Screwfix.

No worries, off to Honiton to pick up mine today, I will ask them when I am there. Thank you.
Sophiasky

No worries, off to Honiton to pick up mine today, I will ask them when I … No worries, off to Honiton to pick up mine today, I will ask them when I am there. Thank you.

I hope it all works for you. Let me know would you?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants