Groups

Woolworths stores ditch HD-DVDs

They think it's all over.... it is now!

t3.com/new…RSS

23 Comments

And....?

Original Poster

The HD-DVD format edges closer to obsolescence.

Quite important if you're in the market for a hi-def player. Cheers.

Any idea how much of the overall media sales actually go through woolies, or the entire high street for that matter, compared to online sales. A big clue is Richard Branson dumping VMS, Choices shops shutting down and the online arm still trading etc ;-) High street = impulse buying, internet = considered buying. I don't really see woolies decision as having any overall effect at all tbh, plenty of of other high street retailers about that will continue to supply.

Can I ask a really stupid question please. And don't laugh too much !!

What is the difference between Blu-ray films and HD films? I know that for recording purposes, you can fit more on the Blu-ray disc, but is there a significant difference in quality or anything with the film releases? Just wondering really as I've got both players and am don't know whether it's worth grabbing any HD bargains that come about, or whether I'm missing something about the Blu-ray films and should just stick to those :?

Original Poster

Shengis;1513941

I don't really see woolies decision as having any overall effect at all … I don't really see woolies decision as having any overall effect at all tbh, plenty of of other high street retailers about that will continue to supply.

So you don't think it's significant that the largest seller of the HD format on the high street is dropping one of the two competing standards?! Riiiiiiiiight.

HD-DVD has more features but blu-ray has more space on the disc leading to slightly audio quality. This is irellavent as HD-DVD now has a 51gb disc and blu-ray only has a 50gb one.

furq;1513951

So you don't think it's significant that the largest seller of the HD … So you don't think it's significant that the largest seller of the HD format on the high street is dropping one of the two competing standards?! Riiiiiiiiight.

On the high street maybe, but they're STILL going to be selling them online, or did you miss that bit. They're not daft, they know that most people buy online these days.

By the way, you may find this interesting : financeweek.co.uk/cgi…254

Original Poster

Shengis;1513980

On the high street maybe, but they're STILL going to be selling them … On the high street maybe, but they're STILL going to be selling them online, or did you miss that bit. They're not daft, they know that most people buy online these days.

Weird that they're keeping just ONE format in-store though, eh?

Perhaps Blu-ray owners are more likely to buy in-store, than HD-DVD owners.

Then again, maybe it's not worth them sending HD-DVDs to stores nationwide because the demand isn't there and because it's a dying format.

Who knows, eh?!

furq;1514004

Weird that they're keeping just ONE format in-store though, eh?Perhaps … Weird that they're keeping just ONE format in-store though, eh?Perhaps Blu-ray owners are more likely to buy in-store, than HD-DVD owners. Then again, maybe it's not worth them sending HD-DVDs to stores nationwide because the demand isn't there and because it's a dying format.Who knows, eh?!

Who cares more like :lol:

Like I said though, high street = impulse buy. So you're in woolies looking for a PS3 game, can't get it as yet again the release date has been set back etc, so you blow your wad on Blu Ray movie disks ;-) Makes perfect sense to me.

Never seen Blu Ray or HD-DVD in my woolworths anyway

this is olllllllllllllllllld news. I think people were talking about it before the CES.

Most HD DVD owners purchase online, or abroad I would imagine. You must have a screw loose if you are picking films up at the RRP from Woolworths.

I think the most HD titles of either format that the Chester Wollies has ever had is about 4 - and that was the week leading up to Xmas - and that's a pretty big store too - as already mentioned - Wouldn't buy from in store anyway - too expensive when compared with online and region free from USA!

Original Poster

ThePennyPincher;1514519

this is olllllllllllllllllld news. I think people were talking about it … this is olllllllllllllllllld news. I think people were talking about it before the CES.Most HD DVD owners purchase online, or abroad I would imagine. You must have a screw loose if you are picking films up at the RRP from Woolworths.

No love, Woolworths announced it TODAY.

theretailbulletin.com/new…08/

And whether you - or anyone else on this forum - buys from Woolsworth is missing the point. The fact is, the HD-DVD format is now losing the support of movies studios AND major retailers. The end is nigh.

furq;1515043

No love, Woolworths announced it TODAY. … No love, Woolworths announced it TODAY. http://www.theretailbulletin.com/news/woolworths_backs_bluray_format_over_hd_dvd_28-01-08/And whether you - or anyone else on this forum - buys from Woolsworth is missing the point. The fact is, the HD-DVD format is now losing the support of movies studios AND major retailers. The end is nigh.

'Announced' maybe, that still doesn't mean people weren't talking about it last month.

I was infact talking to someone at work on Friday about it, because I was surprised the online division of Woolworths are still selling HD DVDs.

I'll put money on furq owning a PS3...

Browni;1515291

No bookie would take that bet :lol:

Browni;1515291

Shengis;1515317

No bookie would take that bet :lol:

hehe

I don't know why people get so caught up in spin!

Blue Ray might be shifting 75% of HD DISC based movie sales, or whatever the real figure might be. But the difference in numbers is about 30,000-40,000 units (if that) I'd wager. That's pretty much zero of any significance right now, a week of DVD type sales could change any outcome.

I would love to know actual numbers! :whistling:

Original Poster

Browni;1515291

Ha. But I've owned an Xbox 360 a LOT longer. I'm certainly no Sony fanboy.

Funnily enough I originally 'supported' HD-DVD, but never got around to buying a 360 add-on because I didn't want yet another box in the lounge. Certainly won't be getting one now!

You know.... I wanted HD-DVD to win, but ...... but no matter howmuch I searched there was no PC burner or under TV HD-DVD burner for sale and then ..... my children bought a PS3.

I still looked and then LG produced a DVD burner for the PC for £156 from More Computers, so .... I bought one to archive HD footage from my HD Sony Camcorder and play on the PS3 which also as it turned out, happened to become an excellent media centre, streaming video (DIVX), music and photos wirelessly from my computer to my Sony Bravia.

Guess what? Still no HD-DVD burners available.

I honestly think that the HD-DVD clan deserve to loose out. They talked a lot about it and how because their format was so like ordinary DVD it was easier and cheaper to produce equipment and media. Well, whilst they were talking about it, the Blu-Ray camp were doing it and even though I rooted for HD-DVD, it was a 'one horse race' - they didn't enter one for the race.

Early adopters (I'm one and have paid Sony a fortune for equipment) are the people who make things happen and they (Toshiba & Co) made the massive error of not supplying the merchandise to us. The rest it seems..... is history.

Banned

dcx_badass;5042676

Why would you bump such an old thread?

Why have you bumped such an old thread?

dcx_badass;5042676

Why would you bump such an old thread?

So what's the answer?

Shengis;5042695

So what's the answer?

Lol, I think someone posted before dcx_badass. :lol:
    Im assuming they deleted their post now.

kewldeals;5042732

Lol, I think someone posted before dcx_badass. :lol:Im assuming they … Lol, I think someone posted before dcx_badass. :lol:Im assuming they deleted their post now.

No, it's obviously a riddle :lol:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277962
      2. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1434
      3. Your dream gaming set up?2658
      4. word association Game72944191

See more discussions