word survey

Found 22nd Sep 2017
hi guys,

looking to see what most people think of when they hear the following words

"grub"
"nosh"

i'm in scotland & i'd say grub is more common here (though i dont think it's a scottish word).
however I googled grub & a horrible worm type thing comes up.
My aim is to be using this word in the name for a upcoming food blog i'm working on, I'm worried grub wont be universally identified then like me they'll google it to find this horrid creature which will put them off.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I'm Scottish and I call food.....wait for it.....food

I would never use grub or nosh (particularly grub because it makes me think of maggots)
Original Poster
aau19 m ago

I'm Scottish and I call food.....wait for it.....foodI would never use …I'm Scottish and I call food.....wait for it.....foodI would never use grub or nosh (particularly grub because it makes me think of maggots)

well i guess yes i would usually or most often refer to food as food however it's pretty standard for a food blog to have "food" in the name , i wanted to mix it up a little.
Yeah grub may make some people think of other things (not me I like it)
nosh it turns out is Yiddish(and a bit north american)
en.wiktionary.org/wik…osh
Original Poster
see I think "nosh" sound pretentious for some reason! it's like posh people slang. Personally I'd use "grub" or "scran" as a slang for food (though not commonly)
The word grub to me instantly brought to mind image of a fat caterpillar looking thing.
and the word nosh makes me think a rude act!

I know both words are used for food widely but that's what comes to my mind first. I'm in the Humberside region. I wouldn't use any with food but If you have to go with one of those words, go with nosh.
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 22nd Sep 2017
little_green10 m ago

see I think "nosh" sound pretentious for some reason! it's like posh …see I think "nosh" sound pretentious for some reason! it's like posh people slang. Personally I'd use "grub" or "scran" as a slang for food (though not commonly)

Pretentious is exactly the word I thought of too
A grub is a baby insect and i don't say that for food or nose
Grub, nosh are just other words for skran.
Original Poster
Uilleam1715 m ago

What about - PoshNosh

hahaha not sure any of the places in my city count as posh nosh!
You can use "foodie". seems to be the hip word this days. Grub is food to me.
Tucker (aussie) is quite well known as well. Depends who your audience is.
But would stick with food
my grub blog about insect larvae is very popular, hope you're not trying to shamelessly piggyback on its success
Don't look up nosh in the urban dictionary.
Original Poster
shabbird1 h, 12 m ago

You can use "foodie". seems to be the hip word this days. Grub is food to …You can use "foodie". seems to be the hip word this days. Grub is food to me. Tucker (aussie) is quite well known as well. Depends who your audience is. But would stick with food

yeah if only "foodie" wasnt overused these days
Mod
Grub's up
Grub & nosh both innocent but not so much used terms for food and eating to me and I'm Dundonian / Scottish if that helps.

Grubs up to me means food is ready and either being served or about to be served and nosh is to eat it.

I agree about urban dictionary - maybe just stick to the traditional food and eat for safety so you're getting hits to your website for all the right reasons!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants