Wordpress theme / plugin recommendation

6 replies
Found 20th Feb
I know there are wordpress forums for this sort of thing but at the minute, I'm having trouble logging in to the wordpress.org site yet I can login to the dashboard of my site, I thought they were the same but apparently not.

Can anybody recommend a theme or more likely a plugin, that allows users to create a username and password, so they can log in and once they are logged in, be able to submit a short line of text which will be recorded beside their login (minus the password) details, without the need to provide their email address again. What I want to be able to do is search that record of text entries for keywords with minimal effort.

It would also be useful to be able to keep track of who has registered on the site, so I can send out regular emails to subscribed users but also for them to have the option to remove themselves from that email list.

Either I'm not searching for the right type of plugin's or there is a lack of them that can do the job. I'm sure this sort of thing is pretty standard on most websites yet I'm struggling to find something that does the job.

I've tried 'theme my login' and with my basic knowledge, it caused me a lot of confusion. I was unable to find anywhere to control what page users are directed to once logged. The developer only provides very basic instructions. Although it seems pretty powerful and feature rich, I was unable to gain access to what I would have thought were basic options.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

theme my login basically does just that. themes the logo and login page. you should try this:

en-gb.wordpress.org/plu…ct/

allows you to set where the user is taken to once logged in and out

regarding the strip of text, you could use a profile editor maybe and add in a custom profile field?

not sure about the newsletter thing, depends on your emarketing system, most of those like mail chimp have dedicated WordPress plugins!

Can you do that on dot org ? I would have thought that sort of ability would have been restricted to self hosted wordpress sites. Not that I've tried.

PulisOut

Can you do that on dot org ? I would have thought that sort of ability … Can you do that on dot org ? I would have thought that sort of ability would have been restricted to self hosted wordpress sites. Not that I've tried.

​.org is the one you host.
.com they host

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I've found this plugin over at codecanyon - ARMember - Complete WordPress Membership System. It seems to do what I need but if there is a free alternative, that would be even better!

I think sometimes it's worth paying the few quid a premium plugin costs. Support is better, integration is better, generally coded better too!

Original Poster

I agree. From what I have seen, there are often more features built in. Getting one that has everything is the problem though!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cineworld - possible to book film for future at counter to save booking fee…66
    2. disneyland paris tickets22
    3. Android pay set up56
    4. Whey protien621

See more discussions