Work asked me to work in a few days - do I have to?

Posted 11th Nov
Hi guys,

I am on an zero hour contract in one of my workplaces. They have asked me to work in a 3 days (this is my only day off, so will be doing yet another 13 days stint). Can I decline working in 3 days, due to lack of required notice (one week?)?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
phone ACAS for advice
If they are meant to give 1 week notice then yes of course you can say no. Just don’t be surprised if they don’t ask you again.
Of course you can. I don't know exactly what your contract with them states in relation to them the time frame they need to give you before putting you scheduling you on their rota but yes, you can say no to them.
Join a union
AMaky11/11/2019 10:08

phone ACAS for advice

Babbabooey11/11/2019 10:11

If they are meant to give 1 week notice then yes of course you can say no. …If they are meant to give 1 week notice then yes of course you can say no. Just don’t be surprised if they don’t ask you again.

Haircut_10011/11/2019 10:12

Of course you can. I don't know exactly what your contract with them …Of course you can. I don't know exactly what your contract with them states in relation to them the time frame they need to give you before putting you scheduling you on their rota but yes, you can say no to them.

mikeportsmouth11/11/2019 10:17

Join a union

I have found out that 24 hours is all that is needed for a change of roster. I quite like my work days to remain at 6 days a week not 13, so if they don't ask again - I'm okay with that!
Good luck !!!
lukiezgo11/11/2019 10:32

I have found out that 24 hours is all that is needed for a change of …I have found out that 24 hours is all that is needed for a change of roster. I quite like my work days to remain at 6 days a week not 13, so if they don't ask again - I'm okay with that!

but if you are on zero hours contracted, they could take those 6 hours off you too giving you your contacted hours. You have to weigh that up yourself they have you by the balls.
24hrs is way too low .... get that changed to 7 days pronto. Just tell them that you have a hospital Appt booked and it cant be changed, sounds better than vegging out in front of Tv with a GIANT pack of cheetos (chilly Flavour).
Did you solve ya problem?
lukiezgo11/11/2019 10:32

I have found out that 24 hours is all that is needed for a change of …I have found out that 24 hours is all that is needed for a change of roster. I quite like my work days to remain at 6 days a week not 13, so if they don't ask again - I'm okay with that!

Problem as I see it is you are on a zero hours contract. They could well cut you down to almost nothing, whatever their whim. You could easily lose out - and nothing you can do about it.
Ringfinger11/11/2019 14:47

Problem as I see it is you are on a zero hours contract. They could well …Problem as I see it is you are on a zero hours contract. They could well cut you down to almost nothing, whatever their whim. You could easily lose out - and nothing you can do about it.

Certainly, but I doubt that would be the case. I would be able to find work in no time (and probably should!).

Dannyrobbo11/11/2019 10:51

but if you are on zero hours contracted, they could take those 6 hours off …but if you are on zero hours contracted, they could take those 6 hours off you too giving you your contacted hours. You have to weigh that up yourself they have you by the balls.

I have two jobs. 4 days in one, 2 days in the other. I moved from 5 days to 4 in my primary work (6 day a week total) as I was working 7 days - 17 hours every day -_- which is why I know pride my spare time/getting life stuff sorted. I have been booked in by the mother to help her on my day of, which has time constraints so can't be moved. Which is why I ask if I can decline this additional work. I will be taking my rostered day off as I don't fancy living in my workplace again!
lukiezgo11/11/2019 15:30

Certainly, but I doubt that would be the case. I would be able to find …Certainly, but I doubt that would be the case. I would be able to find work in no time (and probably should!). I have two jobs. 4 days in one, 2 days in the other. I moved from 5 days to 4 in my primary work (6 day a week total) as I was working 7 days - 17 hours every day -_- which is why I know pride my spare time/getting life stuff sorted. I have been booked in by the mother to help her on my day of, which has time constraints so can't be moved. Which is why I ask if I can decline this additional work. I will be taking my rostered day off as I don't fancy living in my workplace again!

I can see you are seethe, and I totally disagree with the zero hours contracts, they just give too much power to bad employers. I think you have hit the nail on the head... Look for something better (it couldn't be much worse).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions