Work discount for Nespresso coffee machine- too good to be true?

Posted 28th Jan
Am I missing something here or is this too cheap to be true?

3396851-947VC.jpg3396851-hrPqU.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Nespresso have done several offers like this recently.
As long as you are happy to keep paying the subscription for 12 months so in the example you give, you would spend £540 over the year on capsules, but in return you get the machine for £1.

There are cheaper subscriptions if you don't expect to use £45 of capsules a month (but credit rolls over up to two years).

nespresso.com/uk/…ion
I wouldn't say 'too good to be true' I'd say that's one heck of an expensive coffee machine when you take the subscription into consideration
jon81uk28/01/2020 15:11

Nespresso have done several offers like this recently.As long as you are …Nespresso have done several offers like this recently.As long as you are happy to keep paying the subscription for 12 months so in the example you give, you would spend £540 over the year on capsules, but in return you get the machine for £1.There are cheaper subscriptions if you don't expect to use £45 of capsules a month (but credit rolls over up to two years).https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/machine-subscription

Thanks for response.

Forgive me, as far as I can see, there's no contract involved here. So I would pay £45 for the 1 month. Let's say the capsules last me half a year, could I then not choose to buy my capsules elsewhere? Far cheaper, of course.

Maybe I'm confusing things here, but for those who pay £200+ for this machine elsewhere, are they also spending £45 per month on caps?
maccy1i28/01/2020 15:14

I wouldn't say 'too good to be true' I'd say that's one heck of an …I wouldn't say 'too good to be true' I'd say that's one heck of an expensive coffee machine when you take the subscription into consideration

I'm still not understanding this 'subscription'. Where am I subscribed? It only asks you to buy one set of £45 caps.
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 15:17

Thanks for response. Forgive me, as far as I can see, there's no contract …Thanks for response. Forgive me, as far as I can see, there's no contract involved here. So I would pay £45 for the 1 month. Let's say the capsules last me half a year, could I then not choose to buy my capsules elsewhere? Far cheaper, of course. Maybe I'm confusing things here, but for those who pay £200+ for this machine elsewhere, are they also spending £45 per month on caps?

If you pay £200+ for the machine then you just pay for the capsules at retail price ( around 40p per capsule). But to get the machine for £1 you are signing up to a subscription to get credit to purchase capsules with.

The word subscription is clearly shown in the screenshot you share. The UK site doesn't seem to clearly show the terms, but they are here nespresso.com/uk/…gal and it states there is a 12 month minimum to get the machine for £1.

If you think you will use £540 of capsules over 2 years it is a good deal as the machine is genuinely £1 as the credit goes in full against the price of capsules.
Edited by: "jon81uk" 28th Jan
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 15:18

I'm still not understanding this 'subscription'. Where am I subscribed? It …I'm still not understanding this 'subscription'. Where am I subscribed? It only asks you to buy one set of £45 caps.

You'll get auto charged to your card and find it impossible to cancel
jon81uk28/01/2020 15:26

If you pay £200+ for the machine then you just pay for the capsules at …If you pay £200+ for the machine then you just pay for the capsules at retail price ( around 40p per capsule). But to get the machine for £1 you are signing up to a subscription to get credit to purchase capsules with.The word subscription is clearly shown in the screenshot you share. The UK site doesn't seem to clearly show the terms, but they are here https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/legal and it states there is a 12 month minimum to get the machine for £1.If you think you will use £540 of capsules over 2 years it is a good deal as the machine is genuinely £1 as the credit goes in full against the price of capsules.

Hmm. So what you're saying is, if I proceed with checkout, I will be charged for £45*12months? Are you sure? As far as the screenshot I posted shows, it's £1 for the machine and £45 for x1 £45 subscription. The cost total at the bottom is clear too.
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 15:48

Hmm. So what you're saying is, if I proceed with checkout, I will be …Hmm. So what you're saying is, if I proceed with checkout, I will be charged for £45*12months? Are you sure? As far as the screenshot I posted shows, it's £1 for the machine and £45 for x1 £45 subscription. The cost total at the bottom is clear too.

You pay £45 + £1 now. Then next month you pay a further £45 and the month after another £45 and so on until you tell them to cancel the subscription.
jon81uk28/01/2020 15:51

You pay £45 + £1 now. Then next month you pay a further £45 and the month a …You pay £45 + £1 now. Then next month you pay a further £45 and the month after another £45 and so on until you tell them to cancel the subscription.

And I can't cancel before twelve months, I assume. That's very sly from Nespresso.
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 15:53

And I can't cancel before twelve months, I assume. That's very sly from …And I can't cancel before twelve months, I assume. That's very sly from Nespresso.

From nespresso.com/uk/…gal
If you cancel before the end of the 12 months then you pay a termination fee dependant on the cost of the plan you chose. If on the £45 plan then the termination fee is £200.

So effectively if you cancel before 12 months then you have to pay back the cost of the machine.

Although the terms aren't easy to find, it is very very obvious that the cost is per month for a subscription.
nespresso.com/uk/…4-5
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 15:53

And I can't cancel before twelve months, I assume. That's very sly from …And I can't cancel before twelve months, I assume. That's very sly from Nespresso.

Not really Sly from Nespresso it quite clearly states subscription and to get that in your basket it would have explained the subscriotion service to you
toddyj998728/01/2020 15:58

Not really Sly from Nespresso it quite clearly states subscription and to …Not really Sly from Nespresso it quite clearly states subscription and to get that in your basket it would have explained the subscriotion service to you

What's sly is that you're still spending the cost of the machine and more. The entire purpose of this promotion is that you wouldn't be, or at least how the promotion is presented, admittedly pre-T&C checks.
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 16:03

What's sly is that you're still spending the cost of the machine and more. …What's sly is that you're still spending the cost of the machine and more. The entire purpose of this promotion is that you wouldn't be, or at least how the promotion is presented, admittedly pre-T&C checks.

But you are still able to spend the whole cost of the subscription on coffee pods. So for £45 a month you get £45 worth of coffee capsules. So you are spending the cost of the coffee.
jon81uk28/01/2020 16:05

But you are still able to spend the whole cost of the subscription on …But you are still able to spend the whole cost of the subscription on coffee pods. So for £45 a month you get £45 worth of coffee capsules. So you are spending the cost of the coffee.

But those capsules are higher priced than in other retailers, no? If not, then theoretically, the caps I would store could last years, which could then render this promotion fair.
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 16:08

But those capsules are higher priced than in other retailers, no? If not, …But those capsules are higher priced than in other retailers, no? If not, then theoretically, the caps I would store could last years, which could then render this promotion fair.

Not sure where you will find Genuine Nespresso Capsules at half the price. You can get compatible ones but in my opinion there rubbish. You can pick a machine up now for less than £100 i wouldn't bother with the sub unless you can get through a decent amount off coffee each month
MUFCristiano28/01/2020 16:08

But those capsules are higher priced than in other retailers, no? If not, …But those capsules are higher priced than in other retailers, no? If not, then theoretically, the caps I would store could last years, which could then render this promotion fair.

Depends.
I'm not sure which capsules that machine takes. The vertuo pods are only available from Nespresso. the classic Nespresso pods have been copied by loads of places.

If you are thinking about just getting classic nespresso-compatable pods then you would be better off getting a cheaper machine and not thinking about the subscription. But the compatible capsules can be hit-and-miss on quality. Nespresso original ones are more reliable.
Or avoid capsules altogether and get a bean-to-cup machine.
Edited by: "jon81uk" 28th Jan
Thanks both for your help. Much appreciated. @jon81uk@toddyj9987

A bean-to-cup machines sounds far more sensible. Plus this machine has pretty poor reviews, but looks superbly sleek.
Not so HOT a deal after all is it!
esar28/01/2020 17:53

Not so HOT a deal after all is it!

Too good to be true...indeed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants