Groups

Work Experience

Where is a good place to go to work experience in london?

36 Comments

London zoo

Buckingham Palace! I have a good friend that now manages staff in the palace.

depends what you waant to do, if you are planning to be a banker then you dont want work experience driving a bus etc.

Original Poster

i wanna do I.T. as i know a lot of css, php mysql and html

If you mean school age work experience then i wouldn't worry where you go. Your duties will include Tea/coffee making, general slave and sitting bored on your hands. :giggle:

Original Poster

no, i wanna go sumwhere its not makin tea. hopefully they will pay for my lunches lol

strike

no, i wanna go sumwhere its not makin tea. hopefully they will pay for my … no, i wanna go sumwhere its not makin tea. hopefully they will pay for my lunches lol

Your be lucky :whistling:

Our company take on school kids for work experience. If there under sixteen they can't even touch a till or company cash as they need constant supervision. They end up "replenshing"

They work hard, they normally end up with a box of choccys.

strike

I think the aquarium would be pretty cool!

Are we talking central London here?

Original Poster

yh, becksdawe, where u work, maybe i can discuss cheap deals with you there?

yh central london

I'm in Leeds strike and I work in retail.....

Banned

strike

Try the stock exchange.

[SIZE=2]IMO if it the 2 weeks under 16 experience if you are office based, they are all very similar whether it is an accountants or a builders - for what you would be allowed to do. You will gain very little work experience. Go for out of office work, aquarium sounds good. Friends daughter did 2 weeks with her MP, Why not aim high!![/SIZE]

Royal Mail, if you get work experience next week you won't have to work as we're on strike for 2 days !

Original Poster

thats sick! i might try that, do we get to keep mail that has no real address. can i find my undelivered mail stash?

Unfortunately you don't get to keep the mail that has no real address.

I suppose you could steal it, get locked up for 5 years and then get out completely scot free ! hehe !

Original Poster

then i will miss my GCSE's! Come on any suggestions?

What interests you ? because whatever you think you want to do now, by the time you finish college you'll be doing something different ! hehe !

Thats the way of the world mate....

were in london you looking?

strike

i wanna do I.T. as i know a lot of css, php mysql and html

I'd apply to any large companies in your area, as they will all have IT departments. Phone up the main phone number for the company and ask for the name of someone in either their public relations (ideally) or human resources department.

Then, send a letter to the named person asking very nicely whether they'd have you in their IT department for work experience. Include as much as you can - eg dates you'll be available, what you can already do, and emphasise that you're really keen and would work hard.

With any luck, you'll get a place that will look great on your CV or college/uni application.

I work for a large company, and you'd be surprised how much effort we go to for work experience students, and how much they are 'allowed' to do. If you do a good job whilst you are there, you may end up with one of the staff offering to act as a reference for job applications ... or if you do a really good job you may end up with a job offer, or offers of holiday work whilst you carry on your studies.

So - aim high, but make sure that you work your socks off to impress them - you never know where it will take you !

HTH
    Melissa

Original Poster

Melissa, where do u work?

Nowhere near you, I'm afraid !

But all big companies 'do their bit' for work experience students, so they should all be willing to consider your application. Just do some mass-mailing and keep your fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Original Poster

i dont know where to start. half the poeople i email4ed, dont even email back so i am a little annoyed. if u have ani names of companies you would like to tell me about den, i'll be more den gratefull

How long ago did you email them? And which email addresses did you use? If it wasn't a 'real person' then it's reasonable to expect it to take a little while to get through to the right person.

But ... a written letter will always go down better with a company - it shows that you have the interest to be 'personal' - to print off, spend money on a stamp, walk to the post box ... rather than just using ctrl-c on a generic email !

At the risk of sounding like an old person, make sure you don't have any spelling mistakes or any 'text talk' in your letter ... nothing puts 'old g*ts' like me off more !!

I have no idea what companies are near you, so I can't really help. If you can travel throughout London, thouh, most big companies have head offices there. Think about things like banks, councils, hospitals etc... or look at a list of the FTSE100 companies and target them ... that's probably your best starting point.

Good luck

melissab

At the risk of sounding like an old person, make sure you don't have … At the risk of sounding like an old person, make sure you don't have any spelling mistakes or any 'text talk' in your letter ... nothing puts 'old g*ts' like me off more !!

Glad you said it, good advice.

You need to put the effort in, it will pay off if you are determined enough. Don't give up at the first hurdle

Banned

iraq.......................

Original Poster

thats so useful to me aint it ROKO! Immature kid

Curious to know, did you get anything?

Banned

Stick a card in any of the phoneboxes round Soho, that'll get you lots of experience fast!!! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

no! i wrote letters and and followed ur advice! no on wants me. im crawling under a rock now!

What did you write, and to how many companies?
    Did you get rejection letters, or just no reply yet? (the post is still backlogged, remember)

Maybe you need to put more irons in the fire, instead of feeling sorry for yourself. They don't want you because they don't know you are there. If all else fails, what about voluntary work. They would be glad of help

Original Poster

i done about 7 companies. I dont mind really, as Trident the company that works with the school can find one for me. Thanks again for all your help.

You've only done 7 companies.... surely theres more out there.
    Radio Stations?
    Tv stations?
    Newspaper's?
    Retail stores - you will deal with tons of people a day in retail - its a good confidence builder

strike

i done about 7 companies.

Gosh, I'm going to sound like an old fuddy-duddy, and please don't take this too badly, but if you wrote like that, it's no wonder you didn't get taken up by the companies :whistling:

Agree with Becksdawe, 7 isn't really enough to get a result yourself, unless you have a lot to offer and made it clear in your letter.

If you're happy to let someone else organise it for you, you WILL end up making tea and cleaning the bog ... you need to put the effort in to get a good opportunity.

what about ]Saatchi & Saatchi. i bet they would be awesome to spend 2 weeks with. Like Becksdawe said try radio stations and tv stations etc. You really dont want someone elses to organise it ,that would be boring, do something that would really be an asset to your CV.:thumbsup:

did you manage to get anything sorted in the end?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892630
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial79
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764335
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1016

See more discussions