Expired

Work experience year 10

Found 5th Sep 2015
For a friends son, he asked this on a different website but got no replies anyways he said -

To be honest, I am not sure if a post like or similar to this has already been made but I need help. I am currently in year 10 and we have recently been asked to either arrange our work experience or do it through the school. I checked out what the school had to offer.....It was appalling. I am very ambitious and money driven and have always craved a career in finance/banking particularly Investment banking/accounting . Obviously I researched each bank and feel best suited to HSBC.

I fear that a job even if it is making tea, photocopying etc. will be hard to get in the canary wharf branch. , . Unfortunatley my father does not know anyone in Banking/accounting.

Any advice or knowledge on the above would be highly appreciated, also any links to apply for work experience in banking/finance would be greatly apprecaited or anyone with knowledge regarding the above please come forward

c
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
speak to your parents bank and see what they advise you to do
I did mine at Halifax, did a week in two different branches. First branch let me review accounts and make a list of people to come in for a financial review, they let me in the safe, fill cash machines and serve customers. The second week at a different branch made me just sit there watching people and making drinks for 5 days so really depends on the individual branch. I went in to speak to the manager of the branch about it, first one could only take me for a week so they sorted out the second week at the other branch as well.

Edited by: "dcx_badass" 5th Sep 2015
Banned
It's all,changed now.

There is a limited choice as most places don't accept them. Like all car dealers, banks and big offices.
You will be lucky to work in a bank for 2 weeks but you won't get paid so I'm confused what you mean about money.
email them and tweet them. direct mainly contact hr departments as some banks have specific programs.it may sound condisending but if you are a bright spark at a failing school it might work for you. also if you dont get work experience why not look at apprenticeships that banks offer. if you are near canary wharf lots of investment banks take work experience... my only questions are when do you plan on doing it? as they do get lots of requests and so if you plan on doing it soon you should have planned it months ago.. also if you have a mentor/teacher who will help you, write a cover letter, cv and then ask them to do you a recommendatio. basically you are applying for a job so make yourself appear mature and responsible the more details you give bout what you want from the time the better response you will get.
barclas have a very good project and support for work experience and young people have a look at their websites x
A personally written letter/email to all the businesses you are interested in would help you no end,Do some on-line research for who to mail from managers to personnel departments and give then an insight into your interests,aspirations,experience and qualifications especially why you chose them to work for,
Original Poster
sofiasar

It's all,changed now. There is a limited choice as most places don't … It's all,changed now. There is a limited choice as most places don't accept them. Like all car dealers, banks and big offices.You will be lucky to work in a bank for 2 weeks but you won't get paid so I'm confused what you mean about money.

I dont think he is looking to get paid but sees a good work experience as a stepping stone towars a well paid job
He might also want to look at internships with larger companies which whilst not well paid will get him experience is different countrys.
I work in a school helping year 10s sort out their work experience. We find it very hard to get students into financial type placements - but if you are in London where there are many more finance companies it might be a bit easier.

Look at the Barclays LifeSkills website. There is a section on there regarding work experience. You fill in certain sections and then you can find out which branches are offering placements and register your interest.

Does your school use any sort of online database so that you can see which employers have offered placements in the past ?

You will probably have to be persistent. Ring some places up first to find out if they offer placements, rather than sending loads of speculative letters out first and waiting for replies that are never going to come. Keep a list of where you have sent letters to so that you can chase them up. The places are out there - don't lose heart - so start contacting people as soon as you can.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants