Working for Hermes

Posted 13th May
I’m currently furloughed from work and thinking about applying to be a courier for Hermes. Is it as good as it seems (just drive around delivering parcels all day)? Or will it be awful?

Any first hand experience / advice much appreciated. Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I worked for them for many years and never had to shell out a penny for my christmas presents
I worked for them..
Did a day of training which I didn't get paid for.
No holiday, sick pay or pension as you're self employed.
Paid peanuts for each parcel and had to drive like a complete t*sser if I wanted to meet hourly targets... A whole £2 bonus!
I sympathise with their drivers because they're paid terribly and there was some lovely people working for them too. Some had a rather strange loyalty to the company, despite being sh&t upon frequently by employer and customer.

Oh, I forgot. You have to pay for their insurance cover and there's no petrol allowance or wear/tear on your vehicle.

After deductions, I wasn't earning minimum wage.

And, you'd be surprised how many people aren't worried about answering the door without anything on... I still have nightmares.
Edited by: "britlad" 13th May
17 Comments
No experience other than they have never delivered a parcel on time to me in my life lol!

If you’re furloughed make sure you’re contract says you can work for other companies while furloughed, you’re not usually able to, just a heads up.
I worked for them for many years and never had to shell out a penny for my christmas presents
Amazon are always hiring for van drivers
Kratos6913/05/2020 18:34

No experience other than they have never delivered a parcel on time to me …No experience other than they have never delivered a parcel on time to me in my life lol! If you’re furloughed make sure you’re contract says you can work for other companies while furloughed, you’re not usually able to, just a heads up.

Usually your employment contract stops you working a conflicted interest position. The actual furlough regs state you can't do any work that benefits the employer thay furloughs you. Also a dental rule is that you need to be able to return to your main employer 'on demand' and you should work outside your normal working hours (not that anyone cares really). So if you normally work 9-5, you wouldn't take a second job during those hours.
As for Hermes, you get your choice of mobile phonesgrin what I read. Seriously though, it's a rat race.
Have you seen "Sorry we missed you"?
IamMT13/05/2020 18:53

Have you seen "Sorry we missed you"?

No but it’s on my “to watch” list. Think it might be the wake up call I need
BenjiMay13/05/2020 18:39

I worked for them for many years and never had to shell out a penny for my …I worked for them for many years and never had to shell out a penny for my christmas presents

Yep. 2 of my purchases that were intended as Xmas presents were stolen by Hermes. It's clearly seen as a perk of the job. Shocked they are allowed to still be in business to be honest.
I worked for them..
Did a day of training which I didn't get paid for.
No holiday, sick pay or pension as you're self employed.
Paid peanuts for each parcel and had to drive like a complete t*sser if I wanted to meet hourly targets... A whole £2 bonus!
I sympathise with their drivers because they're paid terribly and there was some lovely people working for them too. Some had a rather strange loyalty to the company, despite being sh&t upon frequently by employer and customer.

Oh, I forgot. You have to pay for their insurance cover and there's no petrol allowance or wear/tear on your vehicle.

After deductions, I wasn't earning minimum wage.

And, you'd be surprised how many people aren't worried about answering the door without anything on... I still have nightmares.
Edited by: "britlad" 13th May
I think you'd be better off working for royal mail!
I think it works out roughly 30p per delivery made if you make a delivery the first time round. If you have to go back a 2nd time obviously the 30p will be reduced, what with time and fuel etc.
As @britlad points out, the headline pay rate is not necessarily what you actually get paid.
Yup. 30p/average parcel.
I think it was slight more for Next and maybe Amazon. I used to smile at the Next catalogue ladies who ordered bunches of clothes, knowing I'd get paid again in a few days to collect it for returns.
Edited by: "britlad" 14th May
£8.72 is, I think, living wage.
I don't know too many couriers who can deliver 29 parcel/hour @30p...
britlad13/05/2020 19:57

Yup. 30p/average parcel.I think it was slight more for Next and maybe …Yup. 30p/average parcel.I think it was slight more for Next and maybe Amazon. I used to smile loving at the Next catalogue ladies who ordered bunches of clothes, knowing I'd get paid again in a few days to collect it for returns.

For some reason, I thought it was 5p/parcel.
I doubt there would be many takers at 5p/parcel.
I work for them currently. Terrible firm, treat drivers like muck and take them for granted. Forced to work bank holidays (or you’ll have double parcels the following day) as no one will cover you. 30p a parcel is incorrect, my average across the month is anywhere between 0.55 to 0.58. I don’t know anyone below 0.50.

Unless you’re desperate I’d stay clear of working for these jokers
Looks like the pay/parcel has increased or I was being diddled! I worked for them last summer.
Thanks all for your replies. I watched “Sorry we missed you” last night, looks as though sadly that’s an accurate representation of these sorts of companies. I hope everyone working for Hermes can get out soon. I’m going to look into Royal Mail.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions