Groups
    EXPIRED

working from home ??

Not really a bargain request I just wondered whether anybody knows of any reputiable companies that offers 'work from home' .

My son started school September and I'm sooo bored, I have very minimal childcare (i have a daughter too) so I find it hard to get work out and about (can't work weekends , school holidays ect). I find it hard to find an understanding employee, ie, if kids are poorly ect, I know there are some out there but believe you me I'm having a tough time finding one!!

I've done a few computer courses , while he was at nursery ect but the centres gone down where i used to go.

Any suggestions of companies would be much appreciated I don't really know where to start looking !!

25 Comments

great request, ive been looking too, be careful of the scams around offering home work, there are a few about, i too cant work evenings, weekends ect cos im a single parent and school holidays would be very difficult, im also not qualified to do anything special,i met my husband whilst still at scholl, got married had kids ect ect,but im quite bright (i think) lol and need something to do

Original Poster

I know about the scams thats why I'm requesting if anybody knows of any companies , maybe that they've used before. I too class myself as being quite bright (cough!) and am desperate for something to keep my mind ticking over!! I have a boyf but my kids aren't his and we don't live together so he can't really help. I just find the whole thing really frustrating !! I've even been thinking about buying a 1000 piece jigsaw i'm that desperate!!! lol

i must admit i think i would go mad without my dear pc and net

Original Poster

You and me both, Thank god for Hotdeals too!! :-D

Malibu777,have you considered doing market research interviewing?
    It is not for everyone but the pay is good and you can choose the hours you work.The company I work for mainly involves door to door intervewing,basically knocking on doors to find people to help with surveys.IT IS NOT SELLING btw.A standard days work should take no longer than 6 hours,often i get my interviews in much less than that,though I am experienced.You can work as many or as few days as you like,so long as the work is done in the assignment period, you can work mornings,evenings any day of the week,whatever is best for you.

If you are interested let me know and I can send you some details:)

Original Poster

I have given this a thought but have never been involved in a job that has me knocking peoples doors, I've always shyed away from things like that, I think you either can or you can't if you know what i mean. But by all means I'll have a look at some details its worth a look, thanks for this muckypup.:)

What about selling stuff on Ebay. I sell all my kids old clothes and toys and buy extra stuff dead cheap at car boot sales in the summer which the kids play with for a few weeks before selling. It keeps me busy, earns some pennies and clears my cupboards all working the hours I want.

Original Poster

loveabargain

What about selling stuff on Ebay. I sell all my kids old clothes and … What about selling stuff on Ebay. I sell all my kids old clothes and toys and buy extra stuff dead cheap at car boot sales in the summer which the kids play with for a few weeks before selling. It keeps me busy, earns some pennies and clears my cupboards all working the hours I want.

That sounds like fun loveabargain, don't tend to use ebay that much but I like the idea of that bootsale thing, I might give that a go, thank you. These ideas are much appreciated.

I'm glad to help Malibu777. You'd be amazed how much stuff sells for. It really is easy and exciting when auctions are coming to an end! Good Luck.

here are some links for you malibu

this is the company i work for ]click here

this is another well known company ]click here

the 2nd one also does mystery shopping work,if you are also interested in mystery shopping try this ]click here

I know most councils and government agencies run some sort of flexitime. Maybe you could enquire with them. I work for IBM and they offer work from home. There's a few mums here and it really helps them. It can be quite hard to get in the company though.

Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone I'll have a look at them a bit later ( am doing mumsy things like cooking tea at mo!!) , I really appreciate the help and rep has been left , I'll let u know how i get on !

loveabargain

What about selling stuff on Ebay. I sell all my kids old clothes and toys … What about selling stuff on Ebay. I sell all my kids old clothes and toys and buy extra stuff dead cheap at car boot sales in the summer which the kids play with for a few weeks before selling. It keeps me busy, earns some pennies and clears my cupboards all working the hours I want.

Recent hike in postal charges should be eating some of your ebay profits I think :roll:

edi

Recent hike in postal charges should be eating some of your ebay profits … Recent hike in postal charges should be eating some of your ebay profits I think :roll:

Not at all as buyers pay for their own postage. I weigh the items and display how much it will cost to post. I don't charge more than actual postage price with a a few pence added towards packing costs (I always try to reuse packing) but some sellers charge ridiculous amounts and I try not to buy from such sellers.

I do alot on ebay it is the best form of working from home you can make good money used to buy lots from bootsales but only really good in the summer .It would also be good if you have a craft my friend makes and sells cushions .
    but it may also be worth asking friends etc if they know of any jobs going etc i used to think working from home was my only option but if kids are at school age there are loads of jobs with flexible hours .i work 16 hours a week from 9.30 till 1.30 and during the holidays i get childcare which is covered by tax credits .
    If you are really interested in going back to work there are lots of options try talking to someone at the advice bureau as they will tell you all about childcare etc .
    plus my first job after having kids was at there nursery as a teaching assistant work at your childs school is allways an option .

Original Poster

Thanks for the info sonia.town, a lot of my problems is that i cannot work weekends and most shops and places like that include weekends (and evenings for cleaners ect) and childcare isn't available on a weekend. The school things a good idea though .

malibu777

Thanks for the info sonia.town, a lot of my problems is that i cannot … Thanks for the info sonia.town, a lot of my problems is that i cannot work weekends and most shops and places like that include weekends (and evenings for cleaners ect) and childcare isn't available on a weekend. The school things a good idea though .

i understand your dilemma as that is exactly what i thought but honestly you can find work that fits around you alot of shops need staff to cover full time workers at lunches etc .i didn't want full time yet or all week and i managed to get my ideal job i now work for next, mon,wed,thurs,friday 4 hrs a day .
    maybe stick with ebay etc at mo but keep asking about .the ideal but long way off is to start as i did at christmas as most shops are looking for staff for any hours and lots will keep you on after christmas .
    good luck with whatever you choose its worth it i feel so much better in myself .:thumbsup:

muckypup

here are some links for you malibuthis is the company i work for ]click … here are some links for you malibuthis is the company i work for ]click herethis is another well known company ]click herethe 2nd one also does mystery shopping work,if you are also interested in mystery shopping try this ]click here

iv been reading the mystery shopping FAQ and it sounds great !!!!!

pick up and easy £8 for 20mins work, i mite enrol

has any1 ever done mystery shopping ? is it easy/rewarding ?

It may be worth putting an ad up in the post office or even the newspaper, offering to do typing etc..Alternatively, try contacting the local university/college and see if they ever get requests for typing up dissertations etc - don't know if that sort of work is still available what with most people having computers etc, but I know when my husband wrote his dissertation he had someone else type it up for him (still that was about 15 years ago!!) You never know what you might learn along the way, reading other people's stuff!
    I've got a friend who's set up a very successful ironing service - her customers actually bring the ironing to her, then pick it up afterwards..still, that's not much use for keeping the brain ticking over!!:roll:
    Then there's always childminding, which can be quite a good earner, but definitely isn't for everyone!:)
    Try contacting jobseeker direct and see if they can offer any suggestions..good luck:thumbsup:

Why not see what jobs your local schools have on offer I.E dinner ladies, none teaching assistants. That way you only work when the schools are open solving your weekend and school holiday childcare problems!!

Original Poster

jacksonsheena

It may be worth putting an ad up in the post office or even the … It may be worth putting an ad up in the post office or even the newspaper, offering to do typing etc..Alternatively, try contacting the local university/college and see if they ever get requests for typing up dissertations etc - don't know if that sort of work is still available what with most people having computers etc, but I know when my husband wrote his dissertation he had someone else type it up for him (still that was about 15 years ago!!) You never know what you might learn along the way, reading other people's stuff!I've got a friend who's set up a very successful ironing service - her customers actually bring the ironing to her, then pick it up afterwards..still, that's not much use for keeping the brain ticking over!!:roll: Then there's always childminding, which can be quite a good earner, but definitely isn't for everyone!:) Try contacting jobseeker direct and see if they can offer any suggestions..good luck:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice I thought I'd given everything a thought, i did think about childminding but to be honest as much as I love my children they do do your head in don't they!! the dissertation thing sounds good infact I'd probably love that but like you say everythings computerised, students probably hand in a floppy disc nowadays! I will ring and ask about that though, you never know until you try!!:-D

EDIT I just found this site ]http//ww…pe= didn't realise there was that much money in typing up dissertations!!

Original Poster

BECKYBOO

Why not see what jobs your local schools have on offer I.E dinner ladies, … Why not see what jobs your local schools have on offer I.E dinner ladies, none teaching assistants. That way you only work when the schools are open solving your weekend and school holiday childcare problems!!

Thanks for this, my neighbour does this aswell as a part time job in a supermarket. When you sit back and think and look at what other people do there more options that I first thought.

I just wish i could practise what i preach...I'd love a Term-time job. I work Monday to Friday 9am till 2pm in one job and also Friday and Wednesday nights in my local pub. I have 2 boys who are both at school now. I am lucky tho as i moved in with my B/F in August (he is not my boys dad) and he helps me when i work at the pub.

Good luck with it though malibu - i find it really rewarding working(also nice to have a brake from the kids and a social life!!!)......And i was never as well of (financially) than when i was a a single mum. Thanks to tax credits and housing benefit towards my rent. Tax credits paid ALL my childcare.

Original Poster

Thanks becky I have worked nights before and loved getting out the house just something different to kiddy stuff but my circumstances have changed now so its more difficult, I'm determined though that I'm not going to be a stay at home mum all my life ! the help we can get now towards the financial side of things is excellent but to be honest I don't want to do it because of that I just want something to stimulate my brain !!

Have you considered creating a webpage or blog. you could write about your interests hobbies, life stories etc. You could then add affiliate links and banners and should generate some income from people buying from your link. EG if you had an Amazon link/banner then you would earn around 5% of a customers spend if they clicked through your site. I earn a few hundred a month from various sites. PM me if you want any help/advice.etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheer me up please?1443
      2. Walker crisps78
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767537
      4. Heads-Up / Reminder - How to avoid using PayPal's own conversion rates :{33

See more discussions