Working from home, the pitfalls so far. . .

Posted 20th MarEdited by:"steve1221"
Thought I'd share this. . .

My wife's working from home. Her company uses a remote desktop in the cloud to do just about everything.
Over the last 3 days the remote desktop has fallen over about once every 4 hours. Support, because they are also working from their homes are talking between 3 to 6 hours to respond and until they do she can get nothing done.
Not in anyway knocking support, they're in the same boat as the rest of us.
But in hindsight, if she were using a local desktop and programs on that she'd get far more done... Remind me, what were the benefits of cloud computing again?

When she has got the work done she has to post some of it out, and because they use a Royal Mail franking machine the post can only be dropped at one Post Office so we have to drive all the way to the street next to where her closed office is to give it to that PO!
Nice one Royal Mail, you'd think they'd relax that bit of red tape at the moment, but no...

Anyone else have things they've found out about working from home that they hadn't forseen?
Community Updates
Misc
6 Comments
I’m having issues for home broadband and mobile network because of all these home workers. It’s just gonna get worse
Misslovely20/03/2020 16:54

I’m having issues for home broadband and mobile network because of all t …I’m having issues for home broadband and mobile network because of all these home workers. It’s just gonna get worse

Usually does before it gets better, state of humanity is in the same phase.
Cloud computing is more than just a desktop in the cloud. It’s the servers as well.

the problem at the moment is scale, this is unprecedented times where the demand is more than ever. Scaling an infrastructure can take time and money. This will (hopefully) be over in a matter of months so businesses won’t purchase computing power that can support a high amount of people working from home when it isn’t the norm.
Now that the schools are shut and I've been working from home for a while, both myself and my daughter have to share the one laptop, her for her school work, me for my work.
From speaking to a few people in the right places, the whole national Infrastructure is struggling, this covers everything including internet and communications systems.

Most things are scalable and cann be increased but I don't think anyone could have forseen this demand spike and been able to do much about it in conjunction with the government advice and mandates.
From someone who is currently supporting over 5000 home users trust me it’s not easy. We work in teams for a reason and not being able to turn round and ask someone something has a huge knock on effect. We really do try our best but this is uncharted territory for most of us and we really do appreciate your patience and understanding.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants