Groups

Working out import costs - Help

I will be getting a item from the USA end of the year costing me $201.99 - £132.27. How do I work out the import tax ?. I'm just hoping that I will not be hit hard on this as the cost is a little outside my comfort zone as it is.

Also are there another costs to expect ?. The £201.99 is including airmail, will this cover transit when in the UK ?.

10 Comments

This should / might help

Your text here

Royal Mail will charge you £8 admin fee also.

heres another link
    hmrc.gov.uk/cus…htm

you might get away with not paying anything, eg if the sender accidentally ticked 'gift' and declares it under a certain £135

Imports from America always work out expensive!

actually gift items £40 and under are exempt from tax.

I paid ~£15 on something worth £50 sent as a gift. Im thinking on a £200 item it will be quite steep.

Banned

expect to pay around £40-£50 in duty / collection fees on £130 purchase

They are very strict recently.

One item import from US cost £90, get charge £30 for all the fee
    One item import from Singapore cost £45, get charge £15 for all the fee

Import duty is not that much.
    But post office parcel force dhl city link charge £8.00 to £20 just to process you bill
    Now that hurts.

Original Poster

Hooray, so more costs to come. No chance of it being ticked gift as I am getting it from a online store. Best start saving now then for all the extras.

Duty is around 2.5 % VAT is 17.5 % so that's 20% also the courier with charge around £10-15 by paying the tax then billing you with a admin fee. I would always go around 30 % total.

Original Poster

Its getting more and more.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31149
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2131
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764284
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…55

See more discussions