Working windows XP or 7 laptop

Posted 19th Jul
Does anybody have an idea of where I could get a working example of these older laptops? Tried ebay and Gumtree, they are extortionate for such old tech! Needed for some work on the car.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Tried Spartan outlet? What are you planning g to do?
sanchez8220/07/2020 00:38

Tried Spartan outlet? What are you planning g to do?

Thanks but checked there (albeit on my mobile) but couldn't see any laptops that run those old OS.

Sorry, should have been more specific in the OP, needed for some work on the car. I have some software for use on the car DME but it is compatible only with windows 98, XP or 7 (archaic I know).

It can run with some modification on certain later OS's (not mac's - which is what I have), I didn't want to flaff around and thought older laptops could be had really cheaply hence the question.
Try Freecycle I gave away three working laptops with xp on a couple off months ago.
Zanous20/07/2020 03:43

Thanks but checked there (albeit on my mobile) but couldn't see any …Thanks but checked there (albeit on my mobile) but couldn't see any laptops that run those old OS.Sorry, should have been more specific in the OP, needed for some work on the car. I have some software for use on the car DME but it is compatible only with windows 98, XP or 7 (archaic I know).It can run with some modification on certain later OS's (not mac's - which is what I have), I didn't want to flaff around and thought older laptops could be had really cheaply hence the question.

Run the software in compatibility mode I do this with old legacy software and a game and all works fine. You can choose which windows version to run it in.
Have you looked into virtual machines? Programmes like Virtual Box? May be worth looking at if it would work for you as it’d only officially cost you a licence for Windows.
How about Wine - I know there was an issue with newer versions of MacOS dropping 32-bit support, but possible?

Thanks but checked there (albeit on my mobile) but couldn't see any …Thanks but checked there (albeit on my mobile) but couldn't see any laptops that run those old OS.Sorry, should have been more specific in the OP, needed for some work on the car. I have some software for use on the car DME but it is compatible only with windows 98, XP or 7 (archaic I know).It can run with some modification on certain later OS's (not mac's - which is what I have), I didn't want to flaff around and thought older laptops could be had really cheaply hence the question.

Why not just boot XP/7 off of a secondary drive on the computer you already have?
Edited by: "ElGofre" 20th Jul
Get VirtualBox for OSx: virtualbox.org/wik…ads
Don't forget to also install VM VirtualBox Extension Pack.

Then you need a Windows XP image. You can make use of the one provided by Microsoft itself (WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe): microsoft.com/en-…b00
You may find an iso on Internet, but here we don't know.
From the image provided by Microsoft extract the .VHD file to be able to run it in VBox using theunarchiver.com/
similar as in this example: makeuseof.com/tag…si/

Note: set the RAM to 512MB or 1024MB (if you have available), Enable Network adapter (but not attached), Shared Folders (automount). Once in VM install Guest Addition. Then you can either mount your desired iso or transfer apps via the shared folder.
You share the USB port with the VM via right click (bottom right) and select the desired hardware in that list.
If it's for a car, it's likely something that needs lower level access to hardware. Things like virtualbox and other concepts don't work. I kept an old laptop in the garage specifically for this, it even has a 9 pin serial port!!

Last time I went for some old tech I went to one of the computer fairs from here premiercomputerfairs.co.uk/. Problem is they're not currently running for obvious reasons. I saw old laptops for about £60, although they still had windows 10 squeezed into them. You'd have to find an old DVD or similar to put XP back on to it.

The only other places I can think of would be CEX and Cash Convertors, you might get lucky and find something really old that they're trying to shift. Just flicking through the Cash Convertors website I can see half a dozen for less than £100.
slimy3120/07/2020 11:10

If it's for a car, it's likely something that needs lower level access to …If it's for a car, it's likely something that needs lower level access to hardware. Things like virtualbox and other concepts don't work.

While it is not wrong what you're saying and it is good to have a dedicated hardware (e.g., D630 or something similar as they are pretty solid), you can still use VBox for detecting, analyzing and resetting. I'll not trust it to write a firmware for many minutes (e.g., 5 -10 minutes or more).

Ah, I see, I had a IBM stinkpad r40 for exactly this purpose (see how old that is - pre Lenovo) for running FiatECUscan. Eventually the laptop became so geriatric (as did the car lol) I put the software on my HP elitebook and run the software in compatibility mode. This was just error and fault code checking and clearing though. I think still have the stinkpad somewhere laying around waiting to go to the recycling centre or eBay.
Morgan computers may have something.
CEX have Asus EEE 1001PX/Atom N450/1GB Ram/160GB HDD/10"/Windows XP/B at £55
Don't think it has a serial port though
Edited by: "matth9999" 21st Jul
matth999921/07/2020 02:18

CEX have Asus EEE 1001PX/Atom N450/1GB Ram/160GB HDD/10"/Windows XP/B at …CEX have Asus EEE 1001PX/Atom N450/1GB Ram/160GB HDD/10"/Windows XP/B at £55Don't think it has a serial port though

Thanks!!
I'm still using Windows 7, why are you all bad mouthing it?

:-o
Post a comment
@
    Text