Groups

World Cup TV Licence

Hi there can anyone recommend to me the best way of setting up a TV licence so I can enjoy the world cup live? The monthly direct debit scheme is very confusing - if I start can I cancel after the world cup and get a refund?

Actually I am interested in watching the streaming games on the BBC on my laptop. Does anyone have any experience in this?

56 Comments

Supermod

So, you are also going to buy a television for it?

the pub :lol:

Banned

So you're going to buy a TV for the World Soccerball Tournament and then sell it straight afterwards?

Why bother? Just don't answer the door if anyone knocks.

Supermod

magicjay1986;8808492

So, you are also going to buy a television for it?

DJ1;8808524

So you're going to buy a TV for the World Soccerball Tournament and then … So you're going to buy a TV for the World Soccerball Tournament and then sell it straight afterwards?

Is there an echo in here?

DJ1;8808524

So you're going to buy a TV for the World Soccerball Tournament and then … So you're going to buy a TV for the World Soccerball Tournament and then sell it straight afterwards?

TV license not TV

WHAT!!?!? This HAS to be a wind up......

As the ^^^^ above say - if you have a TV anyway - I hardly think that you are going to suddenly go out and buy a TV licence just becoz the world cup is on....

Again as post above says PUB? Or on the TV you already have?
    Maybe somebody is upping their post count? LOL!

Banned

JohnBall;8808552

TV license not TV

So you already have a TV but no licence? Is it still in the box or something?

Supermod

JohnBall;8808552

TV license not TV

You shouldnt have one without the other.

Unless the OP is to borrow one.

JohnBall;8808552

TV license not TV

if you already have a tv surely you have a lisence if not then why bother getting one just for the WC

Banned

micoo;8808519

the pub :lol:

Cant believe a few of the local pubs round my way are charging £5 to get in or opening for regulars only. Last seems fair enough, but anyone paying a fiver to get into a pub needs their head examined.

just listen to it on the wireless :-D

magicjay1986;8808569

You shouldnt have one without the other.

Why?
    Please don't spread myths in your response.

Banned

magicjay1986;8808569

You shouldnt have one without the other.Unless the OP is to borrow one.

you should know this one!

you CAN have the TV

what you cant have is the TV connected to an aerial and able to receive a live picture

it CAN be used with a dvd player or games console without a license

Supermod

thesaint;8808592

Why?Please don't spread myths in your response.

Well why do you think?

Banned

thesaint;8808592

Why?Please don't spread myths in your response.

Yep. If the TV is kept de-tuned and is only used to watch pre-recorded material then you don't need a licence.

Banned

magicjay1986;8808611

Well why do you think?

Do you get a TV license free on social security these days?

Either that, or pedantic as usual.

Supermod

jubbyme;8808609

you should know this one!you CAN have the TVwhat you cant have is the TV … you should know this one!you CAN have the TVwhat you cant have is the TV connected to an aerial and able to receive a live pictureit CAN be used with a dvd player or games console without a license

My reply was in the sense of receiving television for which you should be paying a fee.

Supermod

DJ1;8808615

Yep. If the TV is kept de-tuned and is only used to watch pre-recorded … Yep. If the TV is kept de-tuned and is only used to watch pre-recorded material then you don't need a licence.

The obvious does not need to be stated.

Banned

magicjay1986;8808632

My reply was in the sense of receiving television for which you should be … My reply was in the sense of receiving television for which you should be paying a fee.

then absolutely, get live tv pay the fee

:giggle:

guv;8808624

Do you get a TV license free on social security these days?Either that, … Do you get a TV license free on social security these days?Either that, or pedantic as usual.

:giggle::giggle:

What's with all the morons on the forum these days, I too have a TV and HD projector already but just use it with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I too have purchased a TV license specifically so I can watch the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

The answer to your question is that you should set up a direct debit and then cancel it before a 1/4 of a year has passed. Unfortunately you have to take it for a minimum of a quarter of a year.

Josh

(The best way is to phone them and explain the situation, that's what I did.)

Supermod

r3tract;8808665

What's with all the morons on the forum these days, I too have a TV and … What's with all the morons on the forum these days, I too have a TV and HD projector already but just use it with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I too have purchased a TV license specifically so I can watch the FIFA 2010 World Cup.The answer to your question is that you should set up a direct debit and then cancel it before a 1/4 of a year has passed. Unfortunately you have to take it for a minimum of a quarter of a year.Josh(The best way is to phone them and explain the situation, that's what I did.)

Care to elaborate on this?

Maybe if the OP gave more information we could give him some sound advice.

Banned

jubbyme;8808609

you should know this one!you CAN have the TVwhat you cant have is the TV … you should know this one!you CAN have the TVwhat you cant have is the TV connected to an aerial and able to receive a live pictureit CAN be used with a dvd player or games console without a license

Um if you have equipment that can receive a signal you need a license. Go read the tv license website.

Banned

lumoruk;8808683

Um if you have equipment that can receive a signal you need a license. Go … Um if you have equipment that can receive a signal you need a license. Go read the tv license website.

Erm.... No you dont.

Banned

lumoruk;8808683

Um if you have equipment that can receive a signal you need a license. Go … Um if you have equipment that can receive a signal you need a license. Go read the tv license website.

oh dear, im afraid you dont get it

it can only receive if its connected to an aerial and tuned in, my tv is neither

I have full understanding with tv licensing, have stated the situation and that was 3 years ago, they wrote back saying i was correct, didnt need a license and here we are. this has come up on this site many times, and few people have actually investigated the truth, and think the wrong things or misinterpret tv license's website.

yes you do!! my work has tv's plugged into pc's and we have to have them!

magicjay1986;8808674

Care to elaborate on this?Maybe if the OP gave more information we could … Care to elaborate on this?Maybe if the OP gave more information we could give him some sound advice.

Sure, all those people being thoroughly unhelpful, quoting incorrect advice and generally making fun of the OP, whilst failing to even begin answering the OP's question

It shouldn't take a page and half of comments for someone to receive an answer to a question.

Josh

Banned

ANDYWOODY01;8808724

Your Tvs are plugged into PCs? :?

magicjay1986;8808611

Well why do you think?

Already pointed out to you.
    I don't have one as I only watch big Brother, and I am constantly told it's not TV.

lumoruk;8808683

Lulz. there's always one.

Supermod

ANDYWOODY01;8808724

...but you are receiving television through your television and routing that to your PC. So you need them for the TV. Not your PC, surely?

Supermod

thesaint;8808742

Already pointed out to you.Lulz. there's always one.

Nothing was pointed out to me, squire. Someone inferred something incorrectly.

Seen your edit...would love to see what response you would get for that reasoning!!

guv;8808738

Your Tvs are plugged into PCs? :?

yep. i'm gonna butt out getting to serious for me :-)

magicjay1986;8808757

Nothing was pointed out to me, squire. Someone inferred something … Nothing was pointed out to me, squire. Someone inferred something incorrectly.

Yeah...Okay.

The OP never said he watched TV broadcasts prior to him watching the would cup, so the inference was made by whom?

Ooooooh the cats are out tonite! LOL!!

This IS turning in to be a rite ..... boys nite out!

LOL!

xxxxx

Banned

This question always gets heated!

i'll bet that few or none have actually contacted tv licensing to go from licensed and to cancel a license,
    and got a letter back stating they do not need a license for a tv connected to a dvd or games console and not an aerial

Supermod

thesaint;8808769

Yeah...Okay.The OP never said he watched TV broadcasts prior to him … Yeah...Okay.The OP never said he watched TV broadcasts prior to him watching the would cup, so the inference was made by whom?

Then I mentioned to the "moron guy" that we needed more information.

Mine was a speculation.

Let us not fall out. I have missed you.

Original Poster

Thanks for the discussion so far, but is there an answer?! I have added more information to my original post.

denix;8808846

Thanks for the discussion so far, but is there an answer?! I have added … Thanks for the discussion so far, but is there an answer?! I have added more information to my original post.

I've already replied with an answer OP, see on page 2, this post, #23:

hotukdeals.com/ite…=23

Josh

Original Poster

Thanks for this Josh, rep will be added. Do you not recommend the monthly direct debit then?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One S or Xbox One X89
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1328
      3. How to cancel Sky subscription22
      4. How to unblock a vacuum hose which is completely jammed with dust and fluff…33

See more discussions