Groups

worried - how bad is it to have a bath with grout powder in it?

This is probably not the place to ask this but Im really worried. My dad was doing some early morning grouting in the bathroom and then left to go out. Hrs later I forgot all about it and decided to run a bath. I didn't notice for a long while but then felt the grittiness in the bath and realised that it must be the grouting powder. How dangerous is this for me and should I be worried about it 'going' into my body? Any advice would be a help. Thanks.

36 Comments

You're probably going to survive.

If you notice any swelling and pain in and around your big toe than keep an eye on it.

Chances are you've developed grout.

CaptainSocks

You're probably going to survive. If you notice any swelling and pain in … You're probably going to survive. If you notice any swelling and pain in and around your big toe than keep an eye on it. Chances are you've developed grout.

​hahahha love it

Original Poster

Funny :). No really is it anything to worry about as I've read it causes chemical burns and nerve damage.

CaptainSocks

You're probably going to survive. If you notice any swelling and pain in … You're probably going to survive. If you notice any swelling and pain in and around your big toe than keep an eye on it. Chances are you've developed grout.

Funny :). No really though, is it toxic as I've read it causes nerve damage or chemical burns later on and I was lay in the bloody stuff for half and hour.

Grout in the toes can be very painful. Its caused by crystals of uric acid forming in your cells!

On a serious note, you will be fine. Once set the grouting is inert.

CaptainSocks

​very good

Original Poster

jimbob5

Grout in the toes can be very painful. Its caused by crystals of uric … Grout in the toes can be very painful. Its caused by crystals of uric acid forming in your cells!On a serious note, you will be fine. Once set the grouting is inert.

Hi, it wasn't set though, it was in powder form and mixed in with bath water

may end up having to do a "post mortar" on you

If you had the dry powder on your skin it would be more of a worry I would think. All forms of plaster/grout/cement are irritants on the skin but assuming you didn't swallow lots of grout-laden water I honestly don't think you will come to any harm. I assume you had a good rinse off when you realised?

Original Poster

theshepherd83

may end up having to do a "post mortar" on you

Haha. Come on be serious though, I'm worried about it going into my body.

It cant get into your body unless you swallowed it. :-)

you do not need to worry about such a minimal amount in your bath. I work for a tiling company and deal with grout daily constantly getting covered in the stuff for longer than it takes you to have a bath. admittedly though I have never bathed with grout.

Original Poster

jimbob5

If you had the dry powder on your skin it would be more of a worry I … If you had the dry powder on your skin it would be more of a worry I would think. All forms of plaster/grout/cement are irritants on the skin but assuming you didn't swallow lots of grout-laden water I honestly don't think you will come to any harm. I assume you had a good rinse off when you realised?

Hi, thanks for your help. Yes I rinsed thoroughly in the shower when I realised but by then I'd been in the bath and washed all over in it for over half an hour. I was worrying about if it can cause any problems within 'private' area (so to speak)

Original Poster

ch7leach

you do not need to worry about such a minimal amount in your bath. I work … you do not need to worry about such a minimal amount in your bath. I work for a tiling company and deal with grout daily constantly getting covered in the stuff for longer than it takes you to have a bath. admittedly though I have never bathed with grout.

Thanks for your help. Its my first time bathing in it too. :). Embarrassingly its the washing the private areas in that concerns me the most.

my friend did this and the grout absorbed into the skin and solidified she works as a scarecrow now

phoenix4102

Thanks for your help. Its my first time bathing in it too. :). … Thanks for your help. Its my first time bathing in it too. :). Embarrassingly its the washing the private areas in that concerns me the most.

That amount of grout will do nothing to your private part. If you had a bag of the power and started dipping it in and out that would be rather weird and probably not good for you.

If you have grout residue on your skin you can wash it off with acid. However, there is a high chance the acid will burn you!

Seriously you will be fine. The grit you are feeling is sand with cement. It is so diluted with the water that it will never harden.

If you are still worried you can call a tiler to give you a washdown!

Original Poster

ch7leach

That amount of grout will do nothing to your private part. If you had a … That amount of grout will do nothing to your private part. If you had a bag of the power and started dipping it in and out that would be rather weird and probably not good for you.

Thanks. I know I'm probably over reacting about it but I'm 'burning' a bit now in the private area but it could be from over shrubbing my body after realising what was in the water. Either way I've learned that bathing in grout powder is not a good thing to do.

Original Poster

sk55

If you have grout residue on your skin you can wash it off with acid. … If you have grout residue on your skin you can wash it off with acid. However, there is a high chance the acid will burn you!Seriously you will be fine. The grit you are feeling is sand with cement. It is so diluted with the water that it will never harden. If you are still worried you can call a tiler to give you a washdown!

Thanks. So there's no chance of any 'private' internal damage or me waking up in the morning and being unable to pee because of concrete knickers then.

Banned

have you tried the grout revival pens?

phoenix4102

Thanks. I know I'm probably over reacting about it but I'm 'burning' a … Thanks. I know I'm probably over reacting about it but I'm 'burning' a bit now in the private area but it could be from over shrubbing my body after realising what was in the water. Either way I've learned that bathing in grout powder is not a good thing to do.

so you have been 'scrubbing' your private parts ???... I heard it called a lot of things but not that before.

seriously, nothing to worry about
    Edited by: "jonnithomas" 24th Dec 2016

Grout is a form of concrete and potentially can cause hydroxide burns, however you are in a bath of water. Hydroxide is a problem when in a concentrated solution ( measured in, oddly enough, moles ) and can irritate at lower concentrations. The likely quantity you are talking about would be diluted to insignificance by a bath full of water.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

so you have been 'scrubbing' your private parts ???... I heard it called … so you have been 'scrubbing' your private parts ???... I heard it called a lot of things but not that before. :)seriously, nothing to worry about [/quoteso you have been 'scrubbing' your private parts ???... I heard it called a lot of things but not that before. :)seriously, nothing to worry about

No, not that kind of scrubbing haha. So to be sure then, it can't cause internal damage in the private area or cause any problems with open minor surgicay in private area.. (The reason I was bathing in the first bloody place)

Don't worry
    http://i2.wp.com/www.mygutsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/detox-bath.jpg
    Edited by: "twinkle" 24th Dec 2016

At least your crack is filled.....

Original Poster

dogpatch

Grout is a form of concrete and potentially can cause hydroxide burns, … Grout is a form of concrete and potentially can cause hydroxide burns, however you are in a bath of water. Hydroxide is a problem when in a concentrated solution ( measured in, oddly enough, moles ) and can irritate at lower concentrations. The likely quantity you are talking about would be diluted to insignificance by a bath full of water.

Hi, thanks for the info. Despite all the jokes on here its still a good place to ask for advice. The burns are what I was worried about as I have very very sensitive skin and had minor skin surgery in thr private area and I was worried what more damage it could do there.

phoenix4102

No, not that kind of scrubbing haha. So to be sure then, it can't cause … No, not that kind of scrubbing haha. So to be sure then, it can't cause internal damage in the private area or cause any problems with open minor surgicay in private area.. (The reason I was bathing in the first bloody place)

no just rinse it thoroughly with water. any itching will be imaginary. there won't be a problem..

On the plus side, if it was mould resistant grout then your private parts will now be much less likely to harbour germs

Original Poster

i_am_sloth

On the plus side, if it was mould resistant grout then your private parts … On the plus side, if it was mould resistant grout then your private parts will now be much less likely to harbour germs

you can always count on the hotukdealers to say the mostsensitive things, haha.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

no just rinse it thoroughly with water. any itching will be imaginary. … no just rinse it thoroughly with water. any itching will be imaginary. there won't be a problem..

Hi, thanks, I have rinsed thoroughly but it still burns a little but hopefully it will ease soon enough.

it could be worse, you could have eaten a quality Street wrapper

phoenix4102

Hi, thanks, I have rinsed thoroughly but it still burns a little but … Hi, thanks, I have rinsed thoroughly but it still burns a little but hopefully it will ease soon enough.

it probably just 'burns' a little because you have scrubbed it. just relax, stop worrying and forget it. enjoy christmas

Original Poster

jonnithomas

it probably just 'burns' a little because you have scrubbed it. just … it probably just 'burns' a little because you have scrubbed it. just relax, stop worrying and forget it. enjoy christmas

OK I'll try. Merry Xmas to you and even merry Xmas to all those who gave the unhelpful advice haha. Have a good one everyone.

its better than canestan for getting rid of ..... apparently haha lols

you will be fine I have had many a bath full of grout.....my wife has really bad ocd so I tend to regrout the bathroom at least once a year.....and I'm a messy worker.....not to my wife's amusement

You make me wanna grout

Best cure is a night on the tiles ...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…56
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon11
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391111
      4. win a hamper - orbit homes - kent commuter mag88

See more discussions