Worst Christmas yet for the high streeet?

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Looking at the offers posted this year and my general feeling is that there really have not been so many real bargains to be had this year. In addition this is the first year that nearly all my Christmas shopping has been done on line. The after Christmas sales have so far been poor with generally better price ore Christmas and I think there has been a real change in what people are buying with less real world goods and more vouchers/online services such as Netflix and Spotify.

Is it just me or has this been a very bad Christmas for retailers? It has all been very subdued and even the adverts have not been as prolific as in previous years.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
STRICKIBHOY30/12/2019 10:29

Every year my daughter goes into town for the Boxing day sales. As I say …Every year my daughter goes into town for the Boxing day sales. As I say to her the high street is just trying to shift the stock that no one wanted to buy before Xmas. Maybe they should think their price strategy and advertising a little better?

As long as hundreds of thousands of people like your daughter continue to go to the sales every year and spend enough to make it worth their while, retailers will continue to churn out the non-bargains of their fake sales.
7 Comments
I think that sales are largely hype aimed at raising the buyers expectations. They achieve the goal of getting bodies into stores in the hope that the tempting and elusive offers will encourage them not to leave until they buy something else. I don't play the sale game at any time of the year. If I need something, I look for the cheapest price and purchase it.
Every year my daughter goes into town for the Boxing day sales. As I say to her the high street is just trying to shift the stock that no one wanted to buy before Xmas. Maybe they should think their price strategy and advertising a little better?
STRICKIBHOY30/12/2019 10:29

Every year my daughter goes into town for the Boxing day sales. As I say …Every year my daughter goes into town for the Boxing day sales. As I say to her the high street is just trying to shift the stock that no one wanted to buy before Xmas. Maybe they should think their price strategy and advertising a little better?

As long as hundreds of thousands of people like your daughter continue to go to the sales every year and spend enough to make it worth their while, retailers will continue to churn out the non-bargains of their fake sales.
Worst, or profitable because of minimal price reduction? Right now, the high street needs profits more than anything else to survive.

Online has mostly killed it and with Amazon moving into everything, it will be the final nail. I am curious to see what the comments will be for Amazon Basics condoms and lingerie deals
You asked, "Is it just me or has this been a very bad Christmas for retailers? "

Let's say, it is just you as you didn't supply any bad data for us to make assessments for the bad.
You asked, "Is it just me or has this been a very bad Christmas for retailers? "

Let's say, it is just you as you didn't supply any bad data for us to make assessments for the bad.
I didn't buy any presents for the high street. I didn't even send it a card
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions