Groups

Worth a read with those that pay season tickets for rail by credit card

Banned
    Basically you can charge back for the percentage of delays experienced in your travel

You pay £4000 then trains are late a third of the time then you claim £1333 back. Simples...

moneysavingexpert.com/new…ims

"Long-suffering Southern Rail season ticket holders may be able to claw back £1,000s if other credit card companies follow the example set by American Express in refunding a passenger who'd been plagued by delays.

Annual season ticket holder 'Sean', who asked not to give his real name, told MoneySavingExpert.com he'd used our "handy guide" to take advantage of protection offered in Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and get a £2,400 refund from his credit card provider on the cost of his Southern season ticket.

Section 75 rules mean that credit card companies are jointly liable along with retailers for making sure that customers receive the goods or services they paid for. As a result, Sean's credit card firm American Express (Amex) agreed to issue him with a partial refund of his ticket based on the regular delays he'd suffered."

11 Comments

Interesting, but both my husband and daughter claim back from the rail company ( delay repay scheme) when the trains are late here, then you get s cheque back for each delay . They have never had a claim rejected. Seems a bit of a risk to wait say six months and try to claim via your credit card instead. Assume he didn't bother putting in any claims and then just got really fed up one day and tried his credit card company instead.

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 5th Feb

Original Poster Banned

tinkerbellian

Interesting, but both my husband and daughter claim back from the rail … Interesting, but both my husband and daughter claim back from the rail company ( delay repay scheme) when the trains are late here, then you get s cheque back for each delay .

Its pretty cool isnt it. Landmark. If you paid by credit card... Money back. One journey of a years worth.

YouDontWantToKnow

Its pretty cool isnt it. Landmark. If you paid by credit card... Money … Its pretty cool isnt it. Landmark. If you paid by credit card... Money back. One journey of a years worth.

To be fair, if we had delays on 50% of our trains here, I might be looking for more drastic solutions too

Original Poster Banned

tinkerbellian

To be fair, if we had delays on 50% of our trains here, I might be … To be fair, if we had delays on 50% of our trains here, I might be looking for more drastic solutions too

Do it

Abellio only ran a weekend service in 2016 54% of the time and paid zero compensation as they put a replacement bus service in! Does anyone know if you could claim back for non service as well as delays?

Original Poster Banned

timmikhail

Abellio only ran a weekend service in 2016 54% of the time and paid zero … Abellio only ran a weekend service in 2016 54% of the time and paid zero compensation as they put a replacement bus service in! Does anyone know if you could claim back for non service as well as delays?

The point is that if you paid by credit card.. You get your money back.

tinkerbellian

To be fair, if we had delays on 50% of our trains here, I might be … To be fair, if we had delays on 50% of our trains here, I might be looking for more drastic solutions too

Don't look for another solution.
    Do this!! The credit card company will ultimately take the money from the train companies

IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DID THIS THE TRAIN COMPANIES WOULD LOSE SOO MUCH MONEY SOMETHING WOULD HAVE TO BE DONE.

Power of solidarity!

Original Poster Banned

prash_2k

Don't look for another solution. Do this!! The credit card company will … Don't look for another solution. Do this!! The credit card company will ultimately take the money from the train companies IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DID THIS THE TRAIN COMPANIES WOULD LOSE SOO MUCH MONEY SOMETHING WOULD HAVE TO BE DONE. Power of solidarity!

Ah... The man gets it.

The train operators will be inundated with chargebacks

prash_2k

Don't look for another solution. Do this!! The credit card company will … Don't look for another solution. Do this!! The credit card company will ultimately take the money from the train companies IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DID THIS THE TRAIN COMPANIES WOULD LOSE SOO MUCH MONEY SOMETHING WOULD HAVE TO BE DONE. Power of solidarity!

​ silly question, but wouldn't they just raise the ticket prices again? and then again? lol

And what about my pay rises?

timmikhail

Abellio only ran a weekend service in 2016 54% of the time and paid zero … Abellio only ran a weekend service in 2016 54% of the time and paid zero compensation as they put a replacement bus service in! Does anyone know if you could claim back for non service as well as delays?

That's not non service if they gave you a bus.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?1110
      2. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2111020
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423814466
      4. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4671404

See more discussions