Expired

Worth claiming on house insurance?

Found 20th Apr 2013
Hello all
Wondering if someone could advise or have experience with a similar issue.
A couple of days ago in the gales, my fascia board was ripped clean off one side of the house.
It has been up several years and called out that the person that fitted it. They advised they don't make that piece anymore and stated I would to change the front half of the house or replace the lot as the new board wouldn't match.
It's likely to cost a few thousand to replace
Do I see if the Insurance company will replace all the fascia boards or do you think they will only replace the minimum they can get away with?
Or the repairs done privately?
Any experience of a similar issue?
Excess is £300 ish -
Thanks
Chris

1. Ask
  2. Insurance
16 Comments

I think they may say that it comes as wear and tear, however, if it has been caused by the high winds we had a couple of days ago, you may have a valid claim, don't see that it would cost thousands though! Good Luck.

Banned

They'll try and do it on the cheap. Whether you settle for that depends on how hard you want to argue with them.

They will only replace the bit that is actually broken, and won't be interested in the fact it no longer matches. I guess you could get them to pay for that bit, and then if you wanted it all to match you would only have to pay for the rest.

I had a similar problem with guttering a few years ago, and the fact they paid out at all was to do with the way the weather that day was officially recorded - I think if it had been less than storm force or something then it would have been classed as wear and tear and I wouldn't have been able to claim.

Worth a go you could always opt out taking into account the first £300 i claimed 2 years ago water damage (never claimed before in 20 years ) came down inside the gable end popping the kitchen tiles and warping the laminate floor a couple of square meters price from a handy man £1200 my excess £500 they argued it was building damage ? and £200 water damage so i would have to pay the guy £700 out of my pocket SOD THAT ,so i payed someone to fit and i bought the flooring ,put the tiles on myself came out with£200 myself

Original Poster

If you enquire and don't claim it doesn't get recorded like car insurance does it?

Original Poster

Had it once non fault claim with zero as value. Still affected car insurance

Banned

LOL at a few thousand for a fascia board re-fit (unless you live in a palace!)

guy is trying to con you (I highly doubt they have stopped making that particular fascia board either)

get2-3 other fitters in for a quote of replacement of broken board only

see checkatrade.com/ if you dont know anyone else
Edited by: "csiman" 20th Apr 2013

csiman

LOL at a few thousand for a fascia board re-fit (unless you live in a … LOL at a few thousand for a fascia board re-fit (unless you live in a palace!)guy is trying to con you (I highly doubt they have stopped making that particular fascia board either)get2-3 other fitters in for a quote of replacement of broken board onlysee http://www.checkatrade.com/ if you dont know anyone else

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like someone's taking you for a mug. Is he a double glazing salesman? Insurance will only pay to make good the damaged part. If the part isn't available (:3) they will pay you the cost for that part and you'll have to pay the balance.

I just phoned up once to see if I was covered for frost damage to my bricks said it was act of god not covered but still recorded damage as if I had made a claim when I query it they said they had to show a record so it does affect policy even though no claim was made!

kracker69

Worth a go you could always opt out taking into account the first £300 i … Worth a go you could always opt out taking into account the first £300 i claimed 2 years ago water damage (never claimed before in 20 years ) came down inside the gable end popping the kitchen tiles and warping the laminate floor a couple of square meters price from a handy man £1200 my excess £500 they argued it was building damage ? and £200 water damage so i would have to pay the guy £700 out of my pocket SOD THAT ,so i payed someone to fit and i bought the flooring ,put the tiles on myself came out with£200 myself

I had the same problem and as you rightly stated, it depends on the weather forecast for that day. We could not put a claim in.

we had our bath broke and insurance company would only pay out to replace bath even though bath was 20 years old and you could no longer buy the colour, they wanted us to buy a white one to go with burgundy toilet and sink. In the end they paid out for a bath and we had to buy the rest of the suite.

Banned

pinkladyof66

we had our bath broke and insurance company would only pay out to replace … we had our bath broke and insurance company would only pay out to replace bath even though bath was 20 years old and you could no longer buy the colour, they wanted us to buy a white one to go with burgundy toilet and sink. In the end they paid out for a bath and we had to buy the rest of the suite.

sounds like they did you a favour oO

csiman

sounds like they did you a favour oO

LOLZ burgundy

Original Poster

£2k is whole of a detached house, scaffolding, boarding and labour
I will explore options but sounds like insurance is a waste of time :-/
Thanks all

Banned

Harry_Potter

£2k is whole of a detached house, scaffolding, boarding and labourI will … £2k is whole of a detached house, scaffolding, boarding and labourI will explore options but sounds like insurance is a waste of time :-/Thanks all

well overpriced

its a 2 day job for two people with some ladders

Original Poster

£200 and replacing front end of house. Thank you for help :-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants