Worth having a router?

Posted 20th May
As title suggests, currently have virgin hub 3 set up only. We notice drop outs quite frequently in our bedrooms. (but that could just be Virgin at this point?)

Is it worth punting for a router and setting up the Virgin hub 3 as a modem? Has anyone actually benefited from this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
If you want to forget about wifi issues for good. Get the BT Whole Home Mesh Wifi system (or similar). I’m with Virgin and was having wifi issues, got the system and now I get minimum 100Mbps around the house.
mas12320/05/2020 12:59

If you want to forget about wifi issues for good. Get the BT Whole Home …If you want to forget about wifi issues for good. Get the BT Whole Home Mesh Wifi system (or similar). I’m with Virgin and was having wifi issues, got the system and now I get minimum 100Mbps around the house.

Is that always guaranteed? Do you experience any drop outs or lag from usage? I hear mesh is the way to go.
darkfrost120/05/2020 13:02

Is that always guaranteed? Do you experience any drop outs or lag from …Is that always guaranteed? Do you experience any drop outs or lag from usage? I hear mesh is the way to go.

Yes just don't cheap out, get a decent version
Edited by: "jb66" 20th May
darkfrost120/05/2020 13:02

Is that always guaranteed? Do you experience any drop outs or lag from …Is that always guaranteed? Do you experience any drop outs or lag from usage? I hear mesh is the way to go.

Yea mesh is the way to go. It’s pretty much guaranteed and each disk also has an ethernet port at the back so you can plug in a wired connection and get even faster speeds. For example my routers upstairs, and I have a disk downstairs. If I plug my laptop in to the disk downstairs I get the same speeds as if I was connected directly to the router upstairs. I have the BT system and am quite happy with it, I’ve had it for a few years now, there may be better mesh options out there now. I would do a bit of research and go for the one with the best reviews.
Another vote here for a mesh system. I recently got the Tenda MW3 set and wish I’d bought one sooner.
Haircut_10020/05/2020 14:42

Another vote here for a mesh system. I recently got the Tenda MW3 set and …Another vote here for a mesh system. I recently got the Tenda MW3 set and wish I’d bought one sooner.

I might give one of these a go too. Do you know what the difference is with the MW3 and MW3-3 sets on Amazon? Both are priced at £70 and have three points.
Another vote for mesh, I have my Virgin Hub 3 set up as modem mode and use Google WiF as my router which has a really great phone app for monitoring/control of devices.
Brydo66620/05/2020 15:00

I might give one of these a go too. Do you know what the difference is …I might give one of these a go too. Do you know what the difference is with the MW3 and MW3-3 sets on Amazon? Both are priced at £70 and have three points.

If your going that route go for the MW3 + 6 on the banned site on here - sounds similar to ebayer.

The MW6 as the base will allow for speeds over 100 so you are futureproofing yourslef.
Just using the Virgin Router as a modem and connecting it to a descent router with give you good wifi around most homes without spending a fortune. I used a Tenda AC7 but they seem in short supply , AC10 similar specification here ebay.co.uk/itm…wpD
yorkie1220/05/2020 15:24

Just using the Virgin Router as a modem and connecting it to a descent …Just using the Virgin Router as a modem and connecting it to a descent router with give you good wifi around most homes without spending a fortune. I used a Tenda AC7 but they seem in short supply , AC10 similar specification here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenda-AC10U-AC1200-Smart-Dual-Band-Gigabit-WiFi-Router-1200Mbps-UK/392510503114?epid=11036266124&hash=item5b6372f8ca:g:DlAAAOSwwrNduwpD

That's the routers I used to setup my own mesh system.

Used a VM hub in modem mode. Ethernet lines to every room and a router in 2 rooms so it's basicy flooded with WiFi
Personator123420/05/2020 15:08

If your going that route go for the MW3 + 6 on the banned site on here - …If your going that route go for the MW3 + 6 on the banned site on here - sounds similar to ebayer.The MW6 as the base will allow for speeds over 100 so you are futureproofing yourslef.

I'm not able to find that deal on the banned website, We probably only need two of the cubes as our house isn't entirely big. Do you have recommendations? Been looking at 2x MW6 cubes for £84.99 from the banned website. My Bedroom is just above the front room. Do you think that'll be good enough?
I doubt you need a mesh unless you live in a massive house or all brick. I just have an ASUS AC86 and get my full speed no matter where I am in the house. It’s got some good features though it’s not just a standard router so it was quite expensive. This would probably do you I can’t link ebuyer but the asus 2400 is under £95 there.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 20th May
Gormond20/05/2020 15:03

Another vote for mesh, I have my Virgin Hub 3 set up as modem mode and use …Another vote for mesh, I have my Virgin Hub 3 set up as modem mode and use Google WiF as my router which has a really great phone app for monitoring/control of devices.

Do you have to put it in modem mode
knighty1YNWA21/05/2020 10:17

Do you have to put it in modem mode

No you don't have to but you will need to disable the router feature of one of the devices to avoid double NAT.
Gormond21/05/2020 17:46

No you don't have to but you will need to disable the router feature of …No you don't have to but you will need to disable the router feature of one of the devices to avoid double NAT.

Ok thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions