Would a bedroom wall/concrete hold a 30kg punching bag?

Found 10th Feb 2012
I would like to know if a 30kg punching being fitted to a concrete wall in a spare bedroom will be enough to keep it stable when stationary and swinging about when hitting it?

Any help would be nice thanks

1. Misc
  2. Bag
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Bag
22 Comments

It's the force when hitting it you have to worry about. Can it be bolted to a joist in the ceiling?

Original Poster

It's a wall bracket, a pretty good one at that to be honest. Just wondering if It would bring the whole wall down which Iam sure it wouldn't. Hopefully

Banned

'concrete wall'........do you live in a bunker or something ?

Banned

goldmax

exactly what I was thinking lol

goldmax

Quite alot of older flats have concrete walls.

goldmax

Isn't the inner skin of newer houses made out of concrete blocks?

Benjimoron

Mine isn't, damn thick walls but hollow after the plasterboard.

Banned

Benjimoron

breeze blocks or nowadays thermal blocks, concrete blocks for below DPC though

oddballjamie

Quite alot of older flats have concrete walls.

buildings are built from one of the following method

brick built
concrete blocks with render skim exterior or plaster skim interior
timber frame with render skim exterior or plaster skim interior

answer is no. i do not think the wall will be strong enough to hold the punch bag. it would need some sort of special brackets to distribute the weight if it is going to stay upright.

As long as the load is distributed across the wall then its fine. I always over engineer everything as i want it to last a lifetime. I woudl use anchor screws to fix it to the wall and torque it up. then punch and kick like a man posessed.

Banned

mutley1

buildings are built from one of the following methodbrick builtconcrete … buildings are built from one of the following methodbrick builtconcrete blocks with render skim exterior or plaster skim interiortimber frame with render skim exterior or plaster skim interioranswer is no. i do not think the wall will be strong enough to hold the punch bag. it would need some sort of special brackets to distribute the weight if it is going to stay upright.

so whats the point of the product if it cant even be hung on concrete blocks? I would assume the bracket is large so can spread the load.

OP, concrete blocks will be fine and you'll never knock that wall down. The bracket will give way before the entire wall!
Edited by: "csiman" 10th Feb 2012

Banned

what sort and size of fixings came with the bracket

Original Poster

Sonic they are very thick plaster would a stud detecter find wooden beams behind the plaster
? And very thick screws slamdunkin, not sure on the actually size but they do come with anchors aswell.

If your walls can't hold 30KG's, then I would leave the property immediately.

Banned

thesaint

If your walls can't hold 30KG's, then I would leave the property … If your walls can't hold 30KG's, then I would leave the property immediately.

its not so much the walls but whether the fixings stay in, best to use the metal plugs/bolts and use the correct size masonary bit

goldmax

its not so much the walls but whether the fixings stay in, best to use … its not so much the walls but whether the fixings stay in, best to use the metal plugs/bolts and use the correct size masonary bit

i put my 15kg flat screen tv onto the wall with a picture hook and it fell off. bad wall. X)

Banned

mutley1

i put my 15kg flat screen tv onto the wall with a picture hook and it … i put my 15kg flat screen tv onto the wall with a picture hook and it fell off. bad wall. X)

thats how Newton discovered gravity

oddballjamie

It's the force when hitting it you have to worry about. Can it be bolted … It's the force when hitting it you have to worry about. Can it be bolted to a joist in the ceiling?

this is what we did when we had ours

goldmax

thats how Newton discovered gravity

thought flat screen telly didn't exist in his days?

Banned

mutley1

thought flat screen telly didn't exist in his days?

not a samsung, it was an Apple

Groan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants