Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 8 April 2014

would a plaster wall take weight of a 55 inch tv

Hey Guys

am about to fix a invision wall bracket to connect a 55inch panasonic tele. do you think it will be okay. previous house owner had a tele on the same wall but i think he had a 40-42 inch led tv

its not original brick wall but looks like a plastered wall

any suggestions ?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    What I would do is find the studs vertically and screw some timber on there so your using 2 or 3 vertical studs to hold the weight and mount the weight on the timber.

Varnish paint or paper the timber or if your lucky the width of your TV will hide the timber.
    obviously depends on the weight of the TV oO

my LG 50" plasma weighs about 10 stone so no way would that go on a plaster wall
    If you use the right fixings and they are far enough apart it will probably stay up as long as it's not too big, but it is not wise to do, you will need to fix batons or find another wall to be safe.
    I had the worst time putting a shelf up in a plaster wall, the right fixings are essential, turns out I needed some zip toggles which aren't that easy to get hold of. Anyway if you don't huge holes in your walls then get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you!
    Should be fine if its a light LED and not heavy LCD
    fweddy

Should be fine if its a light LED and not heavy LCD

???
    LED TV's are just LCD TVs with LED lighting.

If it's just a stud wall, what mikeygolfgt says is great.
    If it's dry wall (plasterboard over an external/brick wall) then use Rigifix Drywall Anchors. They hold anything.
    (edited)
    Spango

??? LED TV's are just LCD TVs with LED lighting.If it's just a stud wall, … ??? LED TV's are just LCD TVs with LED lighting.If it's just a stud wall, what mikeygolfgt says is great.If it's dry wall (plasterboard over an external/brick wall) then use Rigifix Drywall Anchors. They hold anything.

go back to school

21457186-5ZBym

fweddy

go back to school

I stand corrected!
    Author
    Hey guys

thx for response. its this tv :

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l55et61b-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p450105

states 21kgs

Spango

I stand corrected!

Actually spango's still right.

OP I'd say you're fine!
    Author
    hi ,
    the wall has no bricks , thats what worries me :-(
    We have our 55in on plaster board luckily the beams are in the right place for fixingso,has been up for 4years now no problems
    i would say no

regardless of what you put it up with, how strong the board is behind, i would be extremely reluctant to put a large TV on a plasterboard wall

i have a 50 inch TV on a brick wall, with loads of screws in and i still look up(its above myhead right now) and wonder whether it is going to drop

these bigger TV's weigh a fair amount and i wouldn't be confident of one staying in a plasterboard wall for too long
    It depends on the type of plasterboard wall.

If it is a proper plasterboard stud wall, then it will have wood every 600mm. All you have to do is find where the wood is and screw into that. As a previous poster has posted put a couple of battens across between two and screw them in well and you should be fine.

I've seen some rubbish plasterboard walls with cardboard between them (like you get in a firedoor). If it's like that then it wouldn't be suitable.
    21KG on plaster, no go. Not safe.
    aircanman

21KG on plaster, no go. Not safe.

But on the studs behind the plaster it will be secure and safe.
    nbuuifx

But on the studs behind the plaster it will be secure and safe.

Yes.
    It goes on the wood anyway. Use one of those depth things and find the timber.

Also led is LCD.
    Do you actually need to mount it? Most people who mount their TV put them up way too high, the centre of the screen should be head height when you are sitting down, otherwise you will be cranking your neck up to watch it. Also do you have stuff to connect to the tv, sky, ps3 etc etc? if so you will need somewhere for them to go anyway.

If you have to mount then fair enough, if the beams are not in the right place then you could mount some mdf onto the wall over the wooden beams and then mount the tv on to that (using bracket of course), won't be as flat but should be safer.
    Author
    badasschris

Do you actually need to mount it? Most people who mount their TV put them … Do you actually need to mount it? Most people who mount their TV put them up way too high, the centre of the screen should be head height when you are sitting down, otherwise you will be cranking your neck up to watch it. Also do you have stuff to connect to the tv, sky, ps3 etc etc? if so you will need somewhere for them to go anyway.If you have to mount then fair enough, if the beams are not in the right place then you could mount some mdf onto the wall over the wooden beams and then mount the tv on to that (using bracket of course), won't be as flat but should be safer.

You are right it aint really needed, we are just awaiting for our lounge furniture to be made so we could just used that instead . we thought it might save some space thats all

Yes

http://www.bracketsrus.co.uk/Fitting-Tips-P95/

I have a 55in Panasonic and it's still up
    dealbuster13

You are right it aint really needed, we are just awaiting for our lounge … You are right it aint really needed, we are just awaiting for our lounge furniture to be made so we could just used that instead . we thought it might save some space thats all

In that case, if it was me I wouldn't bother with the hassle. If you do go ahead with it then keep in mind the height. Good luck
    i agree with the hieght comment........unless you have young kids, i would rather trust my dodgy Diy than my sprog running around hitting it with toys or trying to fix it with his Handy Manny tool kit
's avatar