Would an android box improve my viewing

Found 1st May
I currently have a old android box paid about £35 for it 3 years ago. But for the last year or so it can be really sluggish and struggle to play high def streams. Would a new box like this prevent the issues im having ?
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Factory reset current box may fix
More than likely, providing its not internet bandwidth or WiFi issues. Android is pretty horrible in cheap streaming boxes so I’d buy a decent one
If it played HD well in the past it will need a factory reset. I have a ancient cheap android TV stick and it plays 1024 films from mini sd card no problem.
Depends on what you are streaming. Paid iptv or free. Or kodi etc.
There's loads of poor iptv services out there.
If you're using kodi and it's an amlogic based box then put libreelec on it and it'll perform a million times better.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 1st May
First question would be.... What spec is your box?, from the spec's you can determine if it is worth replacing or not.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st May
i used to have a cheap one since i got my fire box 4k havent had issues, although due to os of amazon took me a while before i knew how to download apps etc. now i wouldnt look back
I gave up on mine ages ago - most of the suppliers have been shut down these days.

Reloaded/re-added them so many times, it just wasn't worth the effort.
RiverDragon821 h, 10 m ago

First question would be.... What spec is your box?, from the spec's you …First question would be.... What spec is your box?, from the spec's you can determine if it is worth replacing or not.

Its a mx8 box i think 3 years old
Struggle with hidef streams via internet from questionable sources, or hidef streams from local devices? Unlikely that the hardware would degrade, but the software may become compromised so a reset may fix. But a 3 year old box likely doesn't support x265/HEVC (x)bit which is now more common for hidef. £30 may buy a reasonable-spec modern box, but it won't improve streams if the source is sub-standard.
AndyRoyd12 h, 15 m ago

Struggle with hidef streams via internet from questionable sources, or …Struggle with hidef streams via internet from questionable sources, or hidef streams from local devices? Unlikely that the hardware would degrade, but the software may become compromised so a reset may fix. But a 3 year old box likely doesn't support x265/HEVC (x)bit which is now more common for hidef. £30 may buy a reasonable-spec modern box, but it won't improve streams if the source is sub-standard.

It was like last night 720p stream tried to include subtitles amd started to stutter i didnt know if a simple factory reset would fix this or a new box
Mr_Pickled_Egg125 m ago

It was like last night 720p stream tried to include subtitles amd started …It was like last night 720p stream tried to include subtitles amd started to stutter i didnt know if a simple factory reset would fix this or a new box

Description of "720p stream" doesn't really help diagnose issue as 720p (or any other) stream can be data-heavy or data-light and served locally or from web, with potential for inter-connected issues. You would need to provide some details of your setup before any real assistance could be offered. Some info that you could choose to indicate would be source of the stream (local device or web via legitimate provider or web via dark provider), wireless or wired connection to box, if web: typical internet connection speedtest results at the box, etc
If you don't have much time to spend on diagnosis, the simple question would be: is there a strong reason not to attempt a reset? Some peeps may choose to avoid a reset cos of the hassle of re-loading apps / settings is a chore; others don't mind tinkering. But nothing will change if the real cause of the issue is the source of the stream being sub-standard.
AndyRoyd3 h, 47 m ago

Description of "720p stream" doesn't really help diagnose issue as 720p …Description of "720p stream" doesn't really help diagnose issue as 720p (or any other) stream can be data-heavy or data-light and served locally or from web, with potential for inter-connected issues. You would need to provide some details of your setup before any real assistance could be offered. Some info that you could choose to indicate would be source of the stream (local device or web via legitimate provider or web via dark provider), wireless or wired connection to box, if web: typical internet connection speedtest results at the box, etcIf you don't have much time to spend on diagnosis, the simple question would be: is there a strong reason not to attempt a reset? Some peeps may choose to avoid a reset cos of the hassle of re-loading apps / settings is a chore; others don't mind tinkering. But nothing will change if the real cause of the issue is the source of the stream being sub-standard.

A understand what your saying . Its a bit of both a dont know how much you can on hukd as to what streaming apks im using / which 720p movue combined with my lack of knowledge of what a dark web source etc. My internet is 30mb fibre located down stairs box upstairs so i understand if i couldnt run a 1080p movie it was the case of 720p movie would play just about then flicking subtitles as a example would cause the pic to stutter. But as another example sometimes some movie/tv/sport apk even youtube will just feel like a struggle to through progression. Im not opposed to factory reset as it would just be a case of re adding the apps . But i noticed when i look to update box ever since ive bought it its always no updates available

Finally my box is defo a m8s box not what i previously stated
Mr_Pickled_Egg119 m ago

Sorry its defo a m8s box https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282871928123 Shown here

That specific box has an AML S812 soc which despite its aging base Android 4.4 should still be a capable combination. I'll assume wireless connection but strong signal available to the box. I'll also assume you have no issues with legitimate hidef streams from likes of Amazon Prime, Netflix and commercial YouTube channels, in which case the likely issue points to the source of the stream or combination of add-ons having difficulty simultaneously sourcing/decoding simple subtitle file, not the box itself. Possible alternative would be to download media to local storage and watch when the entire file has been acquired - but that may involve more effort that simple "select and stream", especially if media is obtained from darker sources. Suggest no harm in a reset to benefit from latest version of apps compatible with the box's version of Android, but it won't fix a marginal stream from a flakey source or equally questionable source of subtitles if not embedded in the media file.
AndyRoyd32 m ago

That specific box has an AML S812 soc which despite its aging base Android …That specific box has an AML S812 soc which despite its aging base Android 4.4 should still be a capable combination. I'll assume wireless connection but strong signal available to the box. I'll also assume you have no issues with legitimate hidef streams from likes of Amazon Prime, Netflix and commercial YouTube channels, in which case the likely issue points to the source of the stream or combination of add-ons having difficulty simultaneously sourcing/decoding simple subtitle file, not the box itself. Possible alternative would be to download media to local storage and watch when the entire file has been acquired - but that may involve more effort that simple "select and stream", especially if media is obtained from darker sources. Suggest no harm in a reset to benefit from latest version of apps compatible with the box's version of Android, but it won't fix a marginal stream from a flakey source or equally questionable source of subtitles if not embedded in the media file.

Thank you and everyone for all help
AndyRoyd34 m ago

That specific box has an AML S812 soc which despite its aging base Android …That specific box has an AML S812 soc which despite its aging base Android 4.4 should still be a capable combination. I'll assume wireless connection but strong signal available to the box. I'll also assume you have no issues with legitimate hidef streams from likes of Amazon Prime, Netflix and commercial YouTube channels, in which case the likely issue points to the source of the stream or combination of add-ons having difficulty simultaneously sourcing/decoding simple subtitle file, not the box itself. Possible alternative would be to download media to local storage and watch when the entire file has been acquired - but that may involve more effort that simple "select and stream", especially if media is obtained from darker sources. Suggest no harm in a reset to benefit from latest version of apps compatible with the box's version of Android, but it won't fix a marginal stream from a flakey source or equally questionable source of subtitles if not embedded in the media file.

Just to finish then what is the benefit of upgrading a box to £50/£60 one if any?
For something that you view on alot to get 3 years out of a 35£ box I think it's safe to say your due an upgrade, go for something with s912 processor in , go to gearbest and look and the many options around the 50£ mark
That's an s812 based box so if you were to use libreelec (kodi) instead you'd have flawless playback up to 4k including h264 & h265.
I have the same m8s box and it plays h265 flawlessly. Streaming is perfect too via ethernet.

safe to say no need to upgrade at all.
Edited by: "chocci" 4th May
chocci2 h, 53 m ago

I have the same m8s box and it plays h265 flawlessly. Streaming is perfect …I have the same m8s box and it plays h265 flawlessly. Streaming is perfect too via ethernet.safe to say no need to upgrade at all.

So you would recommend just factory reset?
Mr_Pickled_Egg11 h, 4 m ago

So you would recommend just factory reset?

I would download a 720p video that you say stutters (most apps like terrarium allow downloading). Then play it using MX PLAYER and if it stutters, then reset it. If it plays fine, then its your wifi so try it via an ethernet connection.
Download some jellyfish samples, my weaker s805 can play the 90mbps 1080p h265 (double the bitrate of blu-ray) without issue. 812 should handle 4k, probably not on bloated android though.

jell.yfish.us
Assuming the box definitely has S812 SoC I would generally agree with the "no requirement" to upgrade appraoch. Would also agree that libreelec would provide the best media experience, especially preferable to an extinct version of Android. Still have the caveat that the streaming source(s) and the connection need to be reliable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants