Groups

Would appreciate help/ advice with Newsgroups please :)

Getting scarred of using torrents now so have decided to leap to newsgroups. Just looking for advice really at how the process works and who i should go with. I have done some goggling but i all looks abit intimidating atm

Hit me with a PM if you want or add me on msn (pm me for addie )

thanks

46 Comments

Have a skim through this thread to get a general idea, my brain shuts off at 10pm, so can't explain it to you.

hotukdeals.com/ite…to/

(if you're fit, i'll' add you on MSN though:))

thesaint;6173434

Have a skim through this thread to get a general idea, my brain shuts off … Have a skim through this thread to get a general idea, my brain shuts off at 10pm, so can't explain it to you.http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/331072/astraweb-only-11-retention-going-to/(if you're fit, i'll' add you on MSN though:))

I believe she's 16.

Going the same way as your friend BG1 I see?

Astraweb would be the best to go with if you have limited funds.

I've been using Astraweb for server access for a while, find them nice and cheap and very reliable. astraweb.com/

Use the details Astraweb gives you to configure a news client. I've been using Grabit for years shemes.com/ - I find this to be a very simple, stable program.

To search for content I use [url]www.newzbin.com[/url] - Cost's 25p per week and worth it's weight in gold.

It's really easy once you get into it and gives me speeds torrents never could. (Constantly maxed out 20Mb connection - 2.4MB/s)

I don't know about you but I can only read so much news, after the first 10GB or so my brain shuts down. I think I'll stick to the newspaper from now on!

abomination;6173461

I don't know about you but I can only read so much news, after the first … I don't know about you but I can only read so much news, after the first 10GB or so my brain shuts down. I think I'll stick to the newspaper from now on!

I lol'd.

Original Poster

morrk;6173459

I've been using Astraweb for server access for a while, find them nice … I've been using Astraweb for server access for a while, find them nice and cheap and very reliable. http://astraweb.com/Use the details Astraweb gives you to configure a news client. I've been using Grabit for years http://www.shemes.com/ - I find this to be a very simple, stable program.[COLOR="Red"]How do i configure a news client and does it cost money? :? [/COLOR]To search for content I use [url]www.newzbin.com[/url] - Cost's 25p per week and worth it's weight in gold.It's really easy once you get into it and gives me speeds torrents never could. (Constantly maxed out 20Mb connection - 2.4MB/s)

I only have crappy 1mb connection so is it worth me sticking to torrents?
    how much in total will it cost me a month?
    can i use it on 2 pcs ?

thanks for help

mum2b;6173515

I only have crappy 1mb connection so is it worth me sticking to … I only have crappy 1mb connection so is it worth me sticking to torrents?how much in total will it cost me a month?can i use it on 2 pcs ?thanks for help

You will still probably get better speeds as you aren't forced to share which uses upload speed. In total I pay about £8-9 a month I think.

Astraweb will provide you with 20 concurrent connections to the server but to be honest I've never tried it on 2 pc's as I do all my downloading on one machine.

morrk;6173534

You will still probably get better speeds as you aren't forced to share … You will still probably get better speeds as you aren't forced to share which uses upload speed. In total I pay about £8-9 a month I think.Astraweb will provide you with 20 concurrent connections to the server but to be honest I've never tried it on 2 pc's as I do all my downloading on one machine.

I personally wouldnt bother on a 1mbit connection unless you're downloading 800MB movies and just albums.

Astraweb is usually £7 a month.

You can use it on as many PC's as you want but it can only be connected on ONE at a time.

Original Poster

ok thanks guys so if if i sign up to that astraweb what else do i need to sign up to get the files from?

mum2b;6173556

ok thanks guys so if if i sign up to that astraweb what else do i need … ok thanks guys so if if i sign up to that astraweb what else do i need to sign up to get the files from?

alt binz google.

[alt binz] + [binsearch]

Only crazy people pay for their .nzb fix.

GrabIt was good to me but I had problems with SSL and it's not very efficient with single large files which it doesn't split into threads.

abomination;6173599

[alt binz] + [binsearch]Only crazy people pay for their .nzb fix.

I been using newzbin for years and like the way it's laid out and organised. If I didn't spend my 25p there I would probably lose it down the back of the sofa anyway.

Original Poster

OMG, i get in now, thanks guys Rep all around!

Il sign up tomorrow So any got a spare Newzbin invite then!? :-D

Banned

abomination;6173599

[alt binz] + [binsearch]Only crazy people pay for their .nzb fix.

Cheapskate! :w00t:

Cant believe I'm still paying for usenet without bothering to use it though!

mum2b;6173619

OMG, i get in now, thanks guys Rep all around!Il sign up tomorrow OMG, i get in now, thanks guys Rep all around!Il sign up tomorrow So any got a spare Newzbin invite then!? :-D

Have a little read above mate, may find the sae for free. I'm just old and set in my ways.

thesaint;6173598

You do realise the OP isn't 16, and the legal age of consent is 16 in any … You do realise the OP isn't 16, and the legal age of consent is 16 in any case. :roll:

I realise she is as she has said in previous posts :thumbsup:.

Original Poster

morrk;6173636

Have a little read above mate, may find the sae for free. I'm just old … Have a little read above mate, may find the sae for free. I'm just old and set in my ways.

Lol, u have confused me now! :-S Whats sae!?

mum2b;6173662

Lol, u have confused me now! :-S Whats sae!?

Ooops sae=same:)

Original Poster

morrk;6173667

oh right, lol, yeah but everyone saying that it is an friendlier layout Newzbin so id rather that as i dont mind paying

Oh one last question, do u still have ratios and stuff?

mum2b;6173685

oh right, lol, yeah but everyone saying that it is an friendlier layout … oh right, lol, yeah but everyone saying that it is an friendlier layout Newzbin so id rather that as i dont mind paying :)Oh one last question, do u still have ratios and stuff?

Well if you want a newzbin invite I can send you one no probs. PM your email and I'll get it sent.

And no, no ratios, no sharing whatsoever.

Original Poster

Someone help me please!!

So i have signed up to astraweb and newzbin and have just downloaded grabit

GrabIt is now asking for the name or my internet news server and askif i want to tick a box for username and password. Im confused, what do i do?

mum2b;6176245

Someone help me please!!So i have signed up to astraweb and newzbin and … Someone help me please!!So i have signed up to astraweb and newzbin and have just downloaded grabitGrabIt is now asking for the name or my internet news server and askif i want to tick a box for username and password. Im confused, what do i do?

I read this thread last night hoping to gain some insight but I was confused all night, I think you have done amazing to have downloaded whatever you have and understood that much:)

mum2b;6176245

GrabIt is now asking for the name or my internet news server and askif i … GrabIt is now asking for the name or my internet news server and askif i want to tick a box for username and password. Im confused, what do i do?

It wants your astraweb info, should be in your welcome email.

Original Poster

kidcat;6176276

I read this thread last night hoping to gain some insight but I was … I read this thread last night hoping to gain some insight but I was confused all night, I think you have done amazing to have downloaded whatever you have and understood that much:)

Lol, tbh im not even sure what i have downloaded!

Urgh, its getting of my nerves now! I just want to download some stuff! Its sooo confusing!

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6176289

It wants your astraweb info, should be in your welcome email.

So do i put in the info for the General Server, European Server, Secure Server, or the european secrue server!?

Use EU Secure if your package allows it.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6176325

Use EU Secure if your package allows it.

it says unable to connect to server error 10061

Make sure you have SSL enabled/ticked.

Banned

Another thread about illegal downloading practices.

Interesting...

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6176373

Make sure you have SSL enabled/ticked.

wheres the option?

mum2b;6176395

wheres the option?

Should be in the server options. A tickbox usually that says enable SSL - Secure Socket Layer.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6176411

Should be in the server options. A tickbox usually that says enable SSL - … Should be in the server options. A tickbox usually that says enable SSL - Secure Socket Layer.

what program do you use?

Alt.Binz

Original Poster

il download that then

mum2b;6176438

so you use that instead of GrabIt? Where can i download it from please?

altbinz.net/ind…=32

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6176446

http://www.altbinz.net/index.php?page=downloadz&show_id=32

thanks, wow this looks confusing!

SO how do i set it up then?

morrk;6173667

:giggle:

mum2b;6176486

thanks, wow this looks confusing!SO how do i set it up then?

english.mixel.nl/?Tu…inz

Original Poster

thanks (Y)

i have signed up to Newzbin so how do i use that?

Once you can connect to the server okay in Alt.Binz, it comes up at bottom as connected and ready. You can just import files from Newzbin, just download a file and make sure that it opens by default with Alt.Binz, and the program will do the rest for you.

For example:
    .torrent = uTorrent
    .nzb = Alt.Binz
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
      2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions