would-be satirists - establishment club wants YOU

Found 10th Aug 2017Edited by:"seb"
What we’re looking for :

In an age of sterile satire, we’re at looking for vibrant new acts.

Anyone and everyone with something to say on the state of the nation is invited to give it their best, but what is likely to make you stand out is having a unique take, or a routine that isn’t just an offshoot of the tired old political commentary of the day.

Stand up, poetry, song, sod it, we’ll even take interpretive dance or whale music. Just as long as it’s lung-collapsingly funny.

The offer:

A fantastic opportunity to springboard a promising career. Successful auditions will get a chance to appear on the Establishment Club’s new satirical television show, scheduled to appear on RT.

Find out more on our official tour page est.club

You can also upload your own videos to stand a chance of the ranks of the Establishment Club
-----------
Producers of the new show will be auditioning on their bus at the following locations: Brighton Jubilee Library Square (August 15, 9.30am-6pm); Edinburgh Castle Street (August 23, 10.30am-6pm); Manchester Exchange Square (August 30, 10am-6pm); Newcastle Grainger Street (September 6, 10am-6pm).

establishmentclub.co.uk

chortle.co.uk/new…_tv

beyondthejoke.co.uk/con…bus
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
It wasn't until I visited the Edinburgh Fringe recently that I realised just how many people are trying to break in to comedy.
Literally thousands of them.
Apparently it doesn't pay well either.
Destard20 m ago

It wasn't until I visited the Edinburgh Fringe recently that I realised …It wasn't until I visited the Edinburgh Fringe recently that I realised just how many people are trying to break in to comedy.Literally thousands of them.Apparently it doesn't pay well either.

It clearly pays at least well enough to support a coke habit.
Ha! At long last the crap you lot have been peddling as humour has finally dried up.

You had it coming - not a bit of that establishment stuff was funny, and now you're out there looking for something 'different' because you've finally became immune to the drugs and realised your idea of funny is not actually funny.

Well, good luck with your hunt for something 'different' - but, I'll put money on it being something similar - just being said by someone 'different.

£"*? the establishment . . . club. Ha!
PTibbets24 m ago

Bad day?

Nah, had quite a good day actually, sun has been nice, been places, seen people - it's been good, and the news that they're finally waking up to the fact the crap they've been calling comedy is actually just not funny - well, that's almost like the icing on the cake.

Also, in another thread, Moob, was harping on about beer being unique - so I drank some of it, and it's not unique - it's the same, apart from one which is just ipa with grapefruit juice - oh yeah, unique. ppffffttttt.

But, it is fairly strong stuff - I'll give it that. . . . still overpriced though, even if it is reduced.

Enough about me, what you been up to PT?
Can i tell Mother in Law jokes?
Rubisco10 h, 17 m ago

It clearly pays at least well enough to support a coke habit.

It's not that expensive
hotukdeals.com/dea…867

Needless to say comedy career isn't going very well.
themachman7 h, 51 m ago

Can i tell Mother in Law jokes?

You could, but would she like them?
Destard17 h, 44 m ago

It wasn't until I visited the Edinburgh Fringe recently that I realised …It wasn't until I visited the Edinburgh Fringe recently that I realised just how many people are trying to break in to comedy.Literally thousands of them.Apparently it doesn't pay well either.

Depends one of my old work mates imran Yusuf used to work in the comedy clubs on weekends and practice his material during the week at work, yes it was hard work writing and testing and rewriting and spending his weekends in comedy clubs getting heckled but eventually it became his proper job because it was his passion he put up with years of not getting anything out of it and it just being a hobby, now he does shows across the country, he's been on TV in that comedy roadshow thing and a BBC3 thing about a chicken shop i think it was, hes currently in a TV advert for Subway i think it is. So he seems to be doing alright.
Error44045 m ago

Depends one of my old work mates imran Yusuf used to work in the comedy …Depends one of my old work mates imran Yusuf used to work in the comedy clubs on weekends and practice his material during the week at work

I bet he used to target you to be his practice audience. I can imagine you being very easily amused

deeky22 m ago

I bet he used to target you to be his practice audience. I can imagine you …I bet he used to target you to be his practice audience. I can imagine you being very easily amused

I should imagine a heckler in the audience with a sword strapped to their thigh would be character-building for any budding comedian.
deeky4 h, 26 m ago

I bet he used to target you to be his practice audience. I can imagine you …I bet he used to target you to be his practice audience. I can imagine you being very easily amused

Not really i was never on his team, i was considered disruptive as I kept ****** about modifying screenshots of the games we was testing with captions and emailing them around the teams I was on, they grumbled about me distracting others from their work a bit but as I exceeded targets and did all the work upto Team Lead level for a testers wage they didn't really have anything to moan about in term of performance.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear" 11th Aug 2017
I think guys like Peter Kay and Billy Connolly are just naturally funny in stand up comedy - they have a brilliantly funny take on everyday events, and when they take us down memory lane they are truly classic.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too many of these types of characters coming through to take their places.
tryn2help9 m ago

I think guys like Peter Kay and Billy Connolly are just naturally funny in …I think guys like Peter Kay and Billy Connolly are just naturally funny in stand up comedy - they have a brilliantly funny take on everyday events, and when they take us down memory lane they are truly classic.Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too many of these types of characters coming through to take their places.

I don't like either of them, peter key is very butlins those sort of people appeal to the older generation, they don't tend to go out to comedy clubs.
Error44010 m ago

I don't like either of them, peter key is very butlins those sort of …I don't like either of them, peter key is very butlins those sort of people appeal to the older generation, they don't tend to go out to comedy clubs.

You could be right, Error.

Maybe it is a generational sort of thing - I can't understand what's so funny in all the memes etc my kids show me or the shows they watch - I just don't get that sense of humour.

Destard mentioned the Edinburgh Festival - I went there quite often back in the day (worked in media = lots of free tickets) and never had a bad night, some of the acts were seriously good, but almost all of them never made it big time.
tryn2help10 m ago

You could be right, Error.Maybe it is a generational sort of thing - I …You could be right, Error.Maybe it is a generational sort of thing - I can't understand what's so funny in all the memes etc my kids show me or the shows they watch - I just don't get that sense of humour.Destard mentioned the Edinburgh Festival - I went there quite often back in the day (worked in media = lots of free tickets) and never had a bad night, some of the acts were seriously good, but almost all of them never made it big time.

You don't need to make it "big time" really, you can quite comfortably claw 25-30k a year just doing the circuits. Lot of work though travelling about, not for everyone.
Once saw John bishop doing a completely ad lib unscripted gig and he was hilarious. Not a big fan of Jimmy Carr or Michael McIntyre though. I quite like stand up but most comedy series like Mrs Brown's boys, Miranda and that ilk leave me cold.
psychobitchfromhell15 h, 2 m ago

Once saw John bishop doing a completely ad lib unscripted gig and he was …Once saw John bishop doing a completely ad lib unscripted gig and he was hilarious. Not a big fan of Jimmy Carr or Michael McIntyre though. I quite like stand up but most comedy series like Mrs Brown's boys, Miranda and that ilk leave me cold.

Imho all of that with the exception of Carr are aimed at old people, McIntyre is very annoying too. I like Al Murray
Error44052 m ago

Imho all of that with the exception of Carr are aimed at old people, …Imho all of that with the exception of Carr are aimed at old people, McIntyre is very annoying too. I like Al Murray

What's your definition of old, in this context?
Error4401 h, 47 m ago

Imho all of that with the exception of Carr are aimed at old people, …Imho all of that with the exception of Carr are aimed at old people, McIntyre is very annoying too. I like Al Murray

My mother is old. She says the funniest comedian she ever saw was Ken Dodd . That was in the 1950's though. Not a massive fan of al Murray (who is older than Jimmy Carr), find him a bit of a one trick pony. Jon Richardson is very funny live too, and on cats does countdown. Watched Kevin bridges completely bomb once. I think a lot depends on the audience.
Destard7 h, 33 m ago

What's your definition of old, in this context?

Pensioners
Error4404 h, 3 m ago

Pensioners

Oh, Error, sometimes you can be so cruel, I know peeps in their fifties who have retired with a very good pension.
Fifty isn't old - some of them are only now settling down to bring up their families.

My all time favourite comic would probably be Tommy Cooper - life was blinkin tough for a lot of us back then, and Cooper made us laugh, I looked forward to having a laugh and back then Cooper supplied it.
Error4404 h, 19 m ago

Pensioners

My kid is 19. Due to the early death of his father, he has been in receipt of a pension since he was 16. Not all pensioners are old. Having said that, in a lot of ways he is positively ancient compared to me and I am prehistoric. In my experience which is vast due to my extreme old age, a sense of humour has little to do with age. Things that were considered acceptable in the seventies as funny may now be seen as beyond the pale. Real humour though stands the test of time. Monty python is always going to be funny but George and Mildred is cringeworthy. I guess if something makes you laugh and makes you happy and offends no one, it has to be ok.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions